Author Topic: Optimise Scotlandspeople searches  (Read 151813 times)

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
Re: Optimise Scotlandspeople searches
« Reply #36 on: Monday 01 December 08 08:57 GMT (UK) »
I notice that you have Williamsons from Scotland in your interests. Do they by any chance come from Wigtownshire via Ireland?

I have a couple of Williamsons who are a real trouble to me. Still missing after all this time.

Judy
The Williamsons I have are from Fife although I know very little about that line. My 4th great-grandmother was Elizabeth Williamson and she married David Galloway in Aberdour, Fife in 1793. I don't have confirmed parents for her.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Scottish relatives sisters?
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 01 December 08 10:09 GMT (UK) »
Another of my contacts has told me that the Williamsons were a highland clan originally from the North of Scotland.

To my shame  :-[ :-[ I am very rusty on the "counties" of Scotland so much so that I don't even know where Fife is. It's the same with places like Renfrewshire, Midlothian etc. I ought to take a course on the geography of Scotland.

A possible "New Year Resolution"!  ;D ;D

Judy
Blair, Marshall, Williamson - Ayrshire, Wigtownshire
Saxton, Sketchley - Nottinghamshire, Leicestershire
Brown, Green - Rutland
Hawker, Malone, Bradbury, Arnott, Turner, Woodings, Blakemore, Upton, Merricks - Warwickshire, Staffordshire
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 01 December 08 11:24 GMT (UK) »
Here's a good site for you, Judy:

http://scotlandsfamily.com/

Gadget

(think I'm getting to be your minder  ;D ;D ;D  )
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 01 December 08 13:07 GMT (UK) »
Another of my contacts has told me that the Williamsons were a highland clan originally from the North of Scotland.

To my shame  :-[ :-[ I am very rusty on the "counties" of Scotland so much so that I don't even know where Fife is. It's the same with places like Renfrewshire, Midlothian etc. I ought to take a course on the geography of Scotland.

A possible "New Year Resolution"!  ;D ;D

Judy

I use the wonderful genuki county map all the time - couldn't be without it   :)
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/Britain.html
There is a separate one for Ireland
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/Ireland.html

For county parish maps, I also try genuki
This is my Fife map
http://www.thefifepost.com/?page_id=836
and Renfrew
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/sct/RFW/rfw_pmap2.html

Any others you want can probably be found via genuki as well
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/sct/#Counties

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline purlin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 01 December 08 17:00 GMT (UK) »
'They are always happy to correct any error drawn to their attention, and if an error on their part has caused someone to use up credits, they will refund them'.

i'm afraid i have to side with david here.  in the past i have drawn s.p's attention to a number of faults.  i have never been offered a refund.  if it is now their policy to do so i applaud them, but its not before time.
Crosbie, Crosby, Black, Woods, Johnstone, Kelly, Howatt, McMillan, Wauchope Scott, Smith, Gibbons, Roberts, Hildred, Jones, Hughes. Curran, Palmer. Hughes, Jones, Wilcox, wilbraham, owen
Liverpool, Dumfriesshire, Kirkudbrightshire, Cheshire, Flintshire, llanrwst, trefriw, Lincolnshire, America, Canada, New Zealand.

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Scottish relatives sisters?
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 01 December 08 17:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trish

Thanks for the reminder about Genuki. It was one of the first sites recommended to me by a "genealogy" friend. Perhaps that is why I seldom use it nowadays. It was good of you to jog my memory. You are right, it has been so useful in the past for pointing me in one direction or another.

Judy
Blair, Marshall, Williamson - Ayrshire, Wigtownshire
Saxton, Sketchley - Nottinghamshire, Leicestershire
Brown, Green - Rutland
Hawker, Malone, Bradbury, Arnott, Turner, Woodings, Blakemore, Upton, Merricks - Warwickshire, Staffordshire
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire

Offline ibi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
New Data Released
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 04 January 09 18:30 GMT (UK) »
Note the following from the ScotlandsPeople website

We are pleased to announce that new statutory images from the Statutory Register of Births for 1908  and the Statutory Register of Deaths for 1958 are now on-line. Statutory Register of Marriages (index and images) for 1933 will follow shortly.

No sign yet, however, of the 1881 scanned images, or the Catholic records, both 'promised' for around now.

And still no sign of the modern marriage index, i.e. the index only from the present closure date for images up to the present day, despite this being originally announced for early 2008.  A major problem apparently, has been that the release of the similar birth and death indexes a year ago led to an overload on the system from the large number of extract (certificate) orders, - the delivery period is still 4 weeks or worse.  (It can be worth paying the extra £3 to order via email, phone, or fax, since this involves a completely separate system with the delivery time being max 7 to 10 days!)

Referring back to an earlier post re the kirk session records, these are all now digitised, but so far can only be viewed at National Archives of Scotland (they may also, or soon, be available via individual kirks?), - promised at some future date for on-line web availability, but that that depends on a number of factors, not least how to index them, - the original indexing pilot project which included every name mentioned produced the result that the full project, with current resources, would take over 15 years to complete, so a less powerful index is being investigated.

Orraverybest

ibi

Offline Millstream

• RootsChat Extra
  • I am only at the tip of the Iceberg thus far
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Thursday 28 May 09 23:27 BST (UK) »

Thanks Trish, these maps are just what I have been looking for

Regards
Owen and Margaret Lynch  Kirkcudbright, Scotland 1841
Owen Lynch born Caven Ireland 1811
Margaret Stewart born Meath Ireland 1809
Edward Lynch arrived Australia in 1856 from Scotland
Patrick Joseph Ryan Gallway Ireland 1856
Mary Agnes Brady County Sligo Ireland 1859
William Wales Cockermouth, Cumbria England 1800
Eliza Hynes Ireland 1811
George Henry Sykes England 1857

This Information is Crown Copyright from, www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk and www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.bdm.nsw.

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Sunday 05 July 09 20:52 BST (UK) »
I;m going to ask that this thread is kept to general ideas about how to optimise SP searches - and that specific searches are kept to threads of their own - thanks.

:)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)