Author Topic: Optimise Scotlandspeople searches  (Read 150648 times)

Offline suds

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Optimise Scotlandspeople searches
« Reply #90 on: Friday 29 August 14 13:04 BST (UK) »
Hello

It's me again. I've been trying to work it out and have got a bit further.

The address I want to look at is 338 Dumbarton Road.

I have discovered the road lists on Scotland's people and come up with the advanced search term:

rdno:646 && rdsuffix:3 && enumdist:35

This gives me 792 people who live between 314 to 348 (even) Dumbarton Road.

31 pages to search on Scotland's people - very expensive.

Is there any way to narrow it down to number 338. I tried adding && 338 to the search term but that didn't seem to work and the search returned zero results.

Regards

Liz

Offline maduganme

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: Saturday 24 January 15 21:26 GMT (UK) »
Sorry David, I have just made a thread regarding the prices at SP website. (I didn't see your thread) I thought it was just me.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Saturday 24 January 15 21:45 GMT (UK) »
Just adding this link to your other post for the more wider current discussion on costs on SP  ;) www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=711043.0

I personally think we are very lucky to have SP for Scottish records. However, I know to my cost (£) that it is a learning process for searches and people need to understand this better before they start :-\

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: Saturday 13 February 16 10:57 GMT (UK) »
Here's a tip: don't spend too long on genealogy in one sitting; it can really get confusing at times if you're like me and do a bit of research on one family and jump to another when you hit a brick wall. After about 2 hours my mind is so full of names, dates and place names I have to go for a cuppa before returning to my studies. :)
I relate to this so much I call it ADHD Genealogy. The flitting from one name to another as to continue searching SOMEBODY ANYBODY :D

Thank you David

I too had come up with some of your ideas , as many people did on their own. The 25 hits per search is one I use a lot.

I think there is some change as I pay 1 credit per page to just look at my 25 hits- which makes it more important. I also use other sites to narrow down my searches.

Also use the wonderful people here on Rootschat to point you in the right direction :)

For me in Oz , as an example of foreign exchange, I pay $14 plus change most times for 30 credits. I am not as reliant on certs as many on here are. Living in Australia I tend to accept I wont be visiting the Kent Archive Centre or the Glasgow Reading Room anytime soon. I have a subscription to a major site and use that to find Archive Records where available - that suffices me - for now. Every now and then I will spend 5 credits on a downloaded cert from SP and I treat that like a certificate sent by the GRO.

Thank you for your tips from 11 years back.

Just a note : I too was wary of SP and the set up - but for what I have received I am eternally thankful for the opportunity SP gives us in other lands
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline OzJane

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: Tuesday 04 October 16 00:25 BST (UK) »
Just a quick thank you to the people on this thread who provided so many hints in using Scotland's People. I found the site many years ago and found it invaluable in searching for Scots relatives from Australia. Also thought the charges, compared to many others at the time, quite reasonable.

However, having now spent time actually reading this thread, I utilised the wild card concept for the name DRYSDALE by typing in DR*****L and came up with about a dozen variations of the name.

My thanks again to those who take the time to post hints and responses.

Jane
DOWN/ANTRIM: May
DOWN: Morgan, Perry, McKnight
EDINBURGH:  Drysdale
HEREFORDSHIRE: Southan
LANCASHIRE: Waddington, Southan
LONDON Kempe, Whitby
SOMERSET Loxton

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: Tuesday 04 October 16 19:54 BST (UK) »
Jane, sadly, you need to review the tips and advice since SP's very recent relaunch under new "management". New current (long now) thread here www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=753942.0

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline OzJane

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: Tuesday 04 October 16 23:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks Monica, will do, much appreciated. :)
DOWN/ANTRIM: May
DOWN: Morgan, Perry, McKnight
EDINBURGH:  Drysdale
HEREFORDSHIRE: Southan
LANCASHIRE: Waddington, Southan
LONDON Kempe, Whitby
SOMERSET Loxton

Offline Dumfriesdelving

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: Friday 10 January 20 18:17 GMT (UK) »
I had a large amount of info from this forum :) immediately after forking out again for SP, then found more on FamSearch!  ::)
However,I do like 'saving' the SP records & noting other names I recognise from the wider circle, e.g. multiple Hopes,Harknesses/Irvings/Armstrongs, now added to my chart.Not so keen on very faint writing which requires effort to read.
Hope/Harkness (Graitney/Gretna/Rigg/Annan)
Turnbull/Andrews/Lund/Calverley (Knaresborough,Yorks)
Beer (Devon UK & Saint John, New Brunswick,Canada)
Donisthorpe/Thompson/Hinksman (Hinckley, Leics)
Morris/Stone/Fuller/Neslen/Smith (Gt Yarmouth/ Norfolk/Suffolk)
Pritchard (Middlesex)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: Friday 10 January 20 18:32 GMT (UK) »
I had a large amount of info from this forum :) immediately after forking out again for SP, then found more on FamSearch!  ::)
Never trust anything you find online unless it is an image of an original document.

Yes, FamilySearch has lots of very useful information, but almost all of the information there is either indexes or transcriptions. Use FS as a finding aid to the primary sources at Scotland's People.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.