Author Topic: Battle of the Boyne, 1690 Account Book  (Read 27510 times)

Offline TheWhuttle

• RootsChat Senior
  • How many boys?
    • View Profile
Re: Battle of the Boyne, 1690 Account Book
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 07 November 12 18:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi folks,

Just received an update from David HUME, OBE, Director of Services for the Orange Order.

"The Paymaster General's account book has now been digitally photographed and we are assessing the best means of presentation. It is also the intention to add to the alphabetical database of surnames ...

As you may be aware from media coverage we have received major funding to develop an interpretive centre and museum and this process of grant application has been very time consuming but ultimately worthwhile. The funding will enable additional staffing, which will help with the workload..."

So, sounds like:
a) images of the scriptive texts within the book have been safely captured for posterity;
b) efforts on their initial interpretion and conversion in to text data are ramping up.

----

Orange is a small enclave in the deep South of France, near Avignon.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange,_Vaucluse
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principality_of_Orange

The name derives ultimately from "Oranj", the Arabic name of the port in to which the new-fangled "Chinese apples" were first imported in to Europe.

Capt. Jock
WHITTLEY - Donegore, Ballycraigy, Newtownards, Guernsey, PALI
WHITTLE - Dublin, Glenavy, Muckamore, Belfast; Jamaica; Norfolk (Virginia), Baltimore (Maryland), New York
CHAINE - Ballymena, Muckamore, Larne
EWART, DEWART - Portglenone, Ballyclare
McAFEE, WALKER - Ballyrashane

"You can't give kindness away enough, it keeps coming back to you."
Mark Twain (aka Samuel CLEMENTS) [Family origins from Ballynure, Co. Antrim.]

Offline annlynn9

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 07 November 12 20:14 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much for the great news Jock! I'm glad I was wrong about my suspicions. When all else fails, patience pays off.

Offline SentimentalLady

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 08 November 12 07:47 GMT (UK) »
Any thought of suggesting they approach FamilySearch to get it done? It's fast, it's free, and it's a huge resource already well-known and used by millions of researchers.

Sadly, there's still very little on there from Ireland. And as a volunteer indexer, I LOOK for Ireland projects to work on.

I'll write a note to FamilySearch.

Maybe you'd like to broach the idea with your contact at the Orange Order? It would be a big job for the Orange Order to go it alone, and not as readily found by genealogists.

www.familysearch.org

Offline kaye80

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 18 November 12 05:05 GMT (UK) »
Posted by kaye80

I was about to email the Orange order myself when I found this Rootschat conversation, so please let me know when you find out any more. I'm trying to trace a Colonel John Fishborne who was in Monasterevin, Kildare in 1721.

I'm currently writing a book on the Fishbo(u)rne family from County Carlow, so if anyone has an interest in them please let me know.

Offline mavityre

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 19 November 12 19:30 GMT (UK) »
I too would be greatly interested.
Oral family history has my ancestor, as a child, strangled by the Papists at his mothers funeral and presumed dead. They're hatred was so much for those that fought with King William.  This child was raised in hiding , and a descendant of his Robert Mavity, came to America in 1760.

there are records that show the family name back then:
Cavan Muster Rolls of 1630 "Mawitie"
April 26, 1644  Company of Sir Patrick Wemys -Patricke Mavitty and Alexander Mavitty.
And a Patrick Mavitore in December 26, 1646 Garrison of Castle Trym under Captain Arthur Graham.

Looking forward to seeing this with great expectations!

Brian Mavity
WM Belt Lodge #18
Kerby, OR

Offline SentimentalLady

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 01 March 13 02:11 GMT (UK) »
Well folks, don't hold your breath on anything happening anytime in the next couple of years, at least.    :(

I wrote to Mr. Hume (see http://www.grandorangelodge.co.uk/visit-schomberg-house#.US7ug2dWjhE ), suggesting they might want to consider approaching www.familysearch.org to investigate the possibility of a partnership to get these records indexed and accessible quickly. Volunteers did 138 million records from the 1940 U.S. Census in about 5 months. There's not a doubt in my mind that these could be done equally quickly. FamilySearch is set up for it, they know what they're doing, they have an excellent reputation and many different partnerships, the indexing system is accurate, the records would be more readily found by researchers, etc.

His reply:

Hi Lori, thanks for this suggestion. I will have a look at it. We are currently in the process of closedown of our archives as we prepare for a interpretive centre being built and a new website. I will keep your email for discussion as we progress. Many thanks and look forward to keeping in touch.

:(

Offline nolindr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 02 April 14 20:18 BST (UK) »
I also am excited to see this paybook.  I guess because they are in the midst of changes, is the reason my email to the Orange Order has gone unanswered.  (Actually answered to tell me she was passing it on the appropriate person).
My ancestor fought in the Battle of the Boyne and family history has it that a piece of the battle banner of William of Orange hung on the wall of the family home. Too bad later descendants were only boys and it probably got thrown out.
Dianne

Offline MMichele

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 06 August 15 02:00 BST (UK) »
Can anyone provide an update regarding access to copies or transcriptions of the 1690 paymaster's account book?

Offline Mykin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 20 March 16 11:34 GMT (UK) »
Going back to the top of this page by TheWhuttle who wrote in 2012 and they said they had digitally photographed the records and there  still hasn't been anything done with it, we may have try something else. As this is 2016, 5 years later what do you all think of getting in touch with them? Maybe if they see so many people wanting the to see the contents they will move faster. I think they have now moved into their new building, have they not? I don't know about any of you but I am not getting any younger and want to see my ancestor's name in the book. Many of us have been on here since 2011 waiting for news from them. Even if it was put into a book and sold them, I don't care.
Co.Antrim- Boomer (Bulmer), Partridge, Houston, Alderdice,
Co. Down- Leckey (lackey etc), Taylor,