Author Topic: died Ayr County Hospital- Buried where?  (Read 8967 times)

Offline 2Harriet

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
died Ayr County Hospital- Buried where?
« on: Tuesday 25 October 11 21:09 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Does anyone have any ideas please how to find the burial place of my gt grandfather Alexander Gordon who died in Ayr County Hospital Dec 31 1893 ?
 He lived at Miltonise, New Luce, Wigtownshire. He died a day after being hit by a train and was a railway surfaceman. so I also wondered if there may have been something in a local newspaper about the accident. Any ideas ??

Thanks, June
Ayrshire-Meikle, Gordon, Hainey
Wigtownshire-Gordon, Murray,
Dumfriesshire- Beattie, Ireland, Morrison
Kirkcudbright- Heron, Herries, Garmory
Carlisle- Morrison, Johnston, Irving
Ireland- Daly

Offline suzilad

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: died Ayr County Hospital- Buried where?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 25 October 11 21:24 BST (UK) »
Hi June,
            There is a graveyard at New Luce . The paper which is still going today for that area is the Wigtownshire Free Press there might be a report or an obituary
You could also  contact the local council at Stranraer I am sorry I don't have the telephone number I have only visited it at Blackparks as you have his death date that will help the woman Morag is very helpful .

They is a website dedicated to research in Wigtownshire " Wigtownshire Pages " they will often do lookups.

I notice you live in Dumfries why not try the local family history society there they might also be able to help.

Regards,

suzilad

Offline 2Harriet

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 25 October 11 22:02 BST (UK) »
Hi, thanks for reply . I have searched graveyards around New Luce area to no avail so far .
June
Ayrshire-Meikle, Gordon, Hainey
Wigtownshire-Gordon, Murray,
Dumfriesshire- Beattie, Ireland, Morrison
Kirkcudbright- Heron, Herries, Garmory
Carlisle- Morrison, Johnston, Irving
Ireland- Daly

Offline BJM

• RootsChat Extra
  • MURPHY
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 24 April 12 22:39 BST (UK) »
Hi June

Did you ever have any luck with finding your great-grandfather's burial place? If so, I'd be interested to hear your tale.

I'm in a similar situation. My great-grandfather Daniel Murphy died in Ayr County Hospital in 1915 and I am completely unable to trace his last resting place. I am currently looking into the possibility that he may have died in a state of poverty and been buried in a pauper's grave - but nothing as yet.

Just be interested if you've had any inspiration that may possibly be of help to me.

Many thanks

Brian
MURPHY, Richard 1837/Edward C1815 Cork, Ireland - MERRITT, Catherine 1843/Richard 1803 Birr, Co.Offaly, Ireland  - MURPHY, Daniel 1866 Ayr, Scotland

Offline maisie76

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 26 April 12 21:49 BST (UK) »
Hi

I live in Ayr, I would be happy to go and ask in the local library to see if they would have any information or if there was anything in the local Ayrshire papers. They also have burial records at the cemetery, if he died in Ayr he might have been buried here too.

Maureen
Nicoll, Dundee
McGill, Ayrshire
Frew, Ayrshire
Wyllie, Ayrshire

Offline Agnes14

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 05 June 12 19:38 BST (UK) »
The deaths may have been reported in the Ayrshire Post.   If the burial was in Ayr I would think the most likely place would be the main cemetery in Holmston Road - it is more or less across the road from where the hospital was.  You could triy contacting the burials admin office in Ayr with the date of death and give Holmston as the burial place - they should be able to tell you, I would think it would be unlikely to be anywhere else in Ayr.  There may also have been a death/obit in your local paper which may also give where he was intended to be buried.
Ayrshire:- Wilson, Donald, Pearson, Milligan, Wallace
Surrey:- Langford, Mullard, O'Neill
Special interest:- Loudoun parish

Offline Heamdi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 25 February 16 19:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Brian

I'm afraid I don't have any information regarding the burial place of Daniel Murphy but I would be interested if you had managed to uncover any further information as he was also my Great Grandfather. 

Audrey

Offline BJM

• RootsChat Extra
  • MURPHY
    • View Profile
Daniel Murphy
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 25 February 16 22:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Audrey

Nice to hear from you. Your message certainly took me by surprise. Do you by any chance live in Ayr where Daniel was born and raised?

I have been piecing together my family tree for some years now and I have a considerable amount of information regarding Daniel Murphy. Perhaps you might tell me what kind of information you need. I'd be glad to help.

Brian
MURPHY, Richard 1837/Edward C1815 Cork, Ireland - MERRITT, Catherine 1843/Richard 1803 Birr, Co.Offaly, Ireland  - MURPHY, Daniel 1866 Ayr, Scotland

Offline Heamdi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 25 February 16 23:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Brian

Thanks for your reply.  I have been pottering with the family tree on and off for a few years now but I have never really fleshed out the bones so to speak.  I only really have what I can glean from the certificates online, which is really just dates, occupations and places, so any extra information that you may have found would be great.  I knew Daniel worked as a saddler and as a child when we went on daytrips to Ayr we would pass a shop, possibly in the Sandgate, and I remember being told that was where he used to work.  I remember the plastic horse's head in the window. 

I managed to get back to Catherine Sheehy on the Irish side but couldn't get any further down that line.   

I live within an hour's drive of Ayr and Glasgow.  I should really visit the Mitchell Library and get myself down to the Ayrshire Archives.  You are obviously well ahead of me in the information stakes but if there is any digging that you think I could do for you from this end I would be happy to help.

Audrey