Author Topic: died Ayr County Hospital- Buried where?  (Read 8998 times)

Offline C_W

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: died Ayr County Hospital- Buried where?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 26 February 16 01:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi June
I have found a very sad and detailed article on the accident of Alexander Gordon on FindMyPast.

However as i am quite new to the forum I am now asking RC members How I can post this, without breaking any copyright rules etc

Any guidance please?

Thanks
C_W

Offline 2Harriet

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 26 February 16 12:39 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for finding this for me. I found it straight away when I looked up the Glasgow Herald on FindMyPast. I had not thought to search the Glasgow Herald ! We went last year to look at the area and remember the route and scenery between Glenwhilly  and  Barrhill Stations.

Here is a transcript of the article on page 4,   2nd Jan 1894, Glasgow Herald ...
"MAN KILLED ON RAILWAY NEAR GLENWHILLY - On Saturday evening sufaceman, Alexander Gordon, was walking on the railway near Glenwhilly station, on the Glasgow and South-Western railway was overtaken by the 8.30pm express train from Stranraer to Glasgow. The driver of the train reported at Barrhill station that his engine had struck something, and this was communicated to the officials at Glenwhilly. A search was instituted, and the man Gordon was found lying between the rails about a mile and a quarter from the station. His left arm was broken and  his right foot was entirely cut off. He was also severely bruised on the head. The injured man was conveyed by train to Ayr, and the infirmary, where he died shortly afterwards. Gordon ,who was 51 years of age and married, was returning from Glenwhilly station to his home at Miltonise cottages."

My new challenge will be to find out what the outcome of the  precognition was / and subsequent inquiry into his death.

Thankyou for your help...I had been looking for over 10 years, so many Alexander Gordons in Scotland !!  Great site this x
Ayrshire-Meikle, Gordon, Hainey
Wigtownshire-Gordon, Murray,
Dumfriesshire- Beattie, Ireland, Morrison
Kirkcudbright- Heron, Herries, Garmory
Carlisle- Morrison, Johnston, Irving
Ireland- Daly

Offline C_W

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 26 February 16 12:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi again,

I know there is a website that holds info on railway accidents. Sorry I don't remember more, but I did find info on an ancestor who lost a leg in a rail crash.

Other members may know more.

C_W

Offline C_W

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 26 February 16 13:07 GMT (UK) »
 http://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk

Here is the site I mentioned. If you don't find anything they maybe able to point you in the right direction. ...

C_W

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 26 February 16 13:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi , For future reference (useful for anyone who doesn't have a Findmypast subscription)  - the Glasgow Herald archive is free to search through Google Newspaper archive -
https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=GGgVawPscysC

There are many more titles of world newspapers online in Google's newspaper archive.

Looby

PS. would agree that if Alexander Gordon was not taken home for burial the likely place would be Ayr Cemetery , next to Holmston Road , which was not far from the location of the old County  Hospital.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 26 February 16 17:12 GMT (UK) »

My new challenge will be to find out what the outcome of the  precognition was / and subsequent inquiry into his death.

On your g grandfather's death cert, was there a note written on the left hand margin of his entry on the register? This would be a reference to the Register of Corrected Entries (RCEs). Where available, Scotlands People have been adding links to view the RCE on their website (costs an additional 2 units to view the RCE online).

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline 2Harriet

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 26 February 16 20:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi It  was a precognition reference in the margin of Alexander's death record[attached]which as far as I know is an official gathering of evidence  or statements of witnesses for some sort of enquiry. I am hoping someone can decypher it as its hard to make out.   

I guess surfacemen did not work on a Saturday evening in the dark even in 1893 so he was unlikely to have been actually working on the line. The railway track was a more direct route for him rather than the undulating roadway to  get home. Having no car,  he would use the local train for local journeys to Ayr or perhaps Colmonell. Considering he was an experienced surfaceman he would be aware normally of the  timing of trains on this line [ and would hear them from his home in Miltonise cottages] so it would be reasonable to suggest he might have been having a social pre hogmany drink and his usual good judgement was  maybe impaired. What do folks think ?
Ireland- Daly

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 26 February 16 20:21 GMT (UK) »
Did you get his death cert yourself online from Scotlands People? If so, you should be able to go back and see the link button to be able to access the RCE entry for his death online on SP.

See www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/content/help/index.aspx?1314

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline 2Harriet

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 26 February 16 20:49 GMT (UK) »
RCE gives exactly same info as death record. I thought it would be different !  The Holmiston Road cemetery is the most likely for a burial and I will research that, Thanks everyone.
Ireland- Daly