Author Topic: Charters/Chartus  (Read 4108 times)

Offline Bob2399

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Charters/Chartus
« on: Monday 01 June 09 07:38 BST (UK) »
I am trying to track down my great grand parents. John Charters and his wife Annie Fenner. I have both of their death certificates, they having died in Belfast but family folklore has them coming from Co Cavan. I can't find any reference to their births.

John Charters was supposed to have served 19 years in the army and fought the 'Fuzzy Wuzzys' and although I can find no record of his military service, other stories lead me to believe that bagpipes featured highly in his memories.

I have now found a reference to a John CHARTUS of full age, living at Barrack Hill, a Pensioner (military?) and a Methodist getting married to Anne Fenner of full age of Barrack Hill , a Methodist, on 7th April 1887. This obviously seems to be the correct reference.

Is there anyone out there who can help me by finding any reference to births or other family of these elusive ancestors of mine. At the moment they unbalance the family tree.

From the death certs if believe John to have been born about 1853 and Anne  about 1864.
Thanks
Bob
McGrath; Charters; Fenner; O'Hara; Carleton; Sloan; Tobergill Street; Cambria Street; Ghent Street

Offline gortnaleck

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Charters/Chartus
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 September 09 02:17 BST (UK) »
I knew a John Charters in Loch Gowna.I think he passed away sometime in the 1990s.He was a bachelor.

Offline Bob2399

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 September 09 16:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Thanks for the reply. I am not at all sure where Loch Gowna is?. I think that the most modern John Charters that I have any info on went to live in England after WW2.

What do you have on your John Charters

Thanks agaion
Bob
McGrath; Charters; Fenner; O'Hara; Carleton; Sloan; Tobergill Street; Cambria Street; Ghent Street

Offline Bob2399

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Charters or Chartus
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 26 October 11 22:24 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am looking for details on a John Charters who was born about 1853. I have this from his death cert in 1927 which gives his age as 74. His wife was Annie Fenner and I found a reference to a marriage of John Chartus - a pensioner - and annie Fenner of Barrack Hill in Cavan in 1888 (I think) Family oral history has John Charters as a soldier for about 19 years but I cannot find any detail on him apart from this marriage reference. His wife Annie was considerably younger than him being born about 1868 as evidenced from her death cert.

Can anyone out there help with this. He is my brick wall as well as being my great granddad.

Thanks
Bob

Offline irw1972

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 04 August 15 13:36 BST (UK) »
my great great grandmother is buried alongside a your John Charters & his wife Annie. they are buried in Belfast.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 04 August 15 14:44 BST (UK) »
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 04 August 15 14:47 BST (UK) »
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline irw1972

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 04 August 15 15:00 BST (UK) »
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01fub/

my great great grandfather is john thos Irwin who is mr charters nephew

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 04 August 15 20:02 BST (UK) »
Going back to the original post here- John Charters, wife, mother-in-law  & one son all born Co.Cavan according to 1901 census.
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Shankhill/Paris_Street/949280
1911 census gives Belfast-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Shankill/Cambrai_Street/176125

John & Annie Charters buried Belfast City Cemetery along with a Mary Irwin & Samuel McGrath.
https://ssl.belfastcity.gov.uk/burialsearch/burialSearch.aspx
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!