Author Topic: Paulin Family, Norham  (Read 14617 times)

Offline CelticMom

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Paulin Family, Norham
« on: Friday 28 October 11 19:51 BST (UK) »
I have been trying to find records for the following family. I can find them in the census' but can not locate baptisms for the children or marriage for the parents.

My 4xGreat Grandparents John Paulin born about 1800 in Horncliffe, Northumberland and his wife Mary (surname unknown) born about 1798 in Scremerston, Northumberland.

they had the following children all supposedly born in Norham according to census:

William Paulin abt 1826
Margaret Paulin abt 1830
Eleanor (or Helen) Cairns Paulin (my 3xgreat grandmother) born c1833
Thomas Paulin abt 1835
James Paulin 1838
Mary Paulin abt 1841

my 3xgreat grandmother married a John Small and I can find no marriage for them either all their children were born in Ancroft or Tweedmouth apart from my great great grandmother Mary Ann Small who was born in Sprouston in Roxburgshire in 1860. She is the second oldest.

I am basically trying to locate the marriage between John Small and Eleanor Paulin and then the marriage between Eleanor's parents John Paulin and Mary and then the baptisms of Eleanor and her siblings.

Any help would really be appreciated. I fear the trouble may be the surname is spelt in various different ways. I have already seen Eleanor as Helen, Eleanor and Elendor in the census and her daughter birth record. Surprisingly though in her daughter birth cert (Mary Ann Small born 1860 in Sprouston), she is as Elendor Cairns (no mention of Paulin), but all her other childrens birth certs both the eldest and the youngest she is Paulin.
Anderson & Marr - Midlothian & East Lothian
Bennett - Devonport
Catleugh & Shiells - East Lothian
Galvin, McLaren, Cullen & Dowling - Waterford, Ireland
Littlejohns - Plymouth & London
Mansfield - Benfleet & St Pancras
Michelin - London
Newlands - Midlothian & Fife
Paterson - Canongate, Midlothian
Rutherford and Johnston - Roxburghshire
Taylor - East Lothian & Berwickshire
Thomson - Leith & Muthill
Thorney, Hawkin, Lewis - Herefordshire
Small & Paulin - Northumberland
Varrall - Kent

Offline CelticMom

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Paulin Family, Norham
« Reply #1 on: Friday 28 October 11 20:27 BST (UK) »
I think I may have found John Paulin's baptism on familysearch.

transcribed as Pallon, born 10 April 1801 in Norham, Northumberland

parents: William Pallon and Eleanor Riddle.

the names of the parents would tie in with his first son, who he named William and his daughter who he named Eleanor (my 3xgreat grandmother).

hmmmmm!!!
Bennett - Devonport
Michelin - London
Varrall - Kent

Offline CelticMom

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 October 11 21:38 GMT (UK) »
Okay so now I have another one to add to the mix

John Paulin born 3rd May 1801
baptised at GOLDEN SQUARE PRESBYTERIAN OR SCOTCH CHURCH,BERWICK UPON TWEED,NORTHUMBERLAND,ENGLAND

parents William Paulin and Isobel.

so seeing as my John Paulin gave place of birth as Horncliffe in the census, which one is most likely to be him. John bapstised at Golden Square with parents William and Isobel or the one baptised at Norham transcribed as Pallon with parents William Pallon and Eleanor Riddle.

Bennett - Devonport
Michelin - London
Varrall - Kent

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 30 October 11 23:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shevy

I suppose it could be either but if they've used the traditional naming pattern then I would expect John's parents to be William and Eleanor and Mary's to be Margaret and Thomas.  Of course, they could have totally ignored the tradition!

Which parishes have you looked in for John and Mary's marriage?

Christine

Offline CelticMom

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 31 October 11 00:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Christine,

Thank you for your reply.

unfortunately I am in Canada, so at present have only searched from the records available online and that is Familysearch, Ancestry and Findmypast.

What puts me off the William Pallon and Eleanor Riddle, is the fact the name is Pallon and not Paulin, when William married Eleanor it seems to be as Pallon as well. Strangely it appears they married 1776 which is quite a long time before 1801 and yet I can find no other childrens baptisms for them.

The William Paulin and Isobel had a daughter Eleanor, so the names are in both these families, not making it very easy.

I suppose I have to try and narrow down which one it is more likely to be if my John Paulin was born abt 1801 in Horncliffe in relation to the location of the baptisms.

I can't find John Paulin's married to his wife Mary and I also can not find the baptism of their daugther Eleanor Cairns Paulin, as well as Eleanor Cairns Paulin's marriage to John Small.

I am quite sure my Paulin's will lead back to Ladykirk, it is just working out where and whom. :D
Bennett - Devonport
Michelin - London
Varrall - Kent

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 31 October 11 00:10 GMT (UK) »
I wouldn't be too worried about spelling variations - they abound - but it's a nuisance that Eleanor occurs in both families.  Why can't ancestors be more accommodating?

I generally spend one afternoon a week at Northumberland archives - planning to be there on Wednesday.  If you can think of anything you want me to look for let me know.  I can certainly check the Norham records to determine whether it says Pallin or Paulin.

Christine

Offline WolfieSmith

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 31 October 11 00:19 GMT (UK) »
The baptism at Golden Square, Berwick.

John Paulin, son of William Paulin, Teacher in Berwick, and Isobel his wife, was born there May 3 1801, and baptized by Jn Blackhall, Minister.

The baptism at Norham,

John Pallon, born April 10 1801, baptized April 31 1801 (thats what it says, I know there is no 31st of April), son of William Pallon, native of Ladykirk N.B., by his wife Eleanor Riddle, native of Lowick.

If its a choice between the two, I'd go for John Pallon. Horncliffe is half way between Berwick and Norham, but John Paulin is stated as born Berwick.

Alan.
Northumberland - Smith, Willis,
Durham - Rogerson, Child
Cumberland - Irving, Hill
North Yorkshire - Layfield,
Ireland - Collins

Offline CelticMom

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 31 October 11 00:22 GMT (UK) »
I wouldn't be too worried about spelling variations - they abound - but it's a nuisance that Eleanor occurs in both families.  Why can't ancestors be more accommodating?

I generally spend one afternoon a week at Northumberland archives - planning to be there on Wednesday.  If you can think of anything you want me to look for let me know.  I can certainly check the Norham records to determine whether it says Pallin or Paulin.

Christine

yep I dont normally take much notice of spelling variations, as have seen it very often with the unusual names in my tree lol, however because the name is Pallon on what appears to be both the baptism of the John and the marriage of William and Eleanor, it has raised doubts.

However I do know that the William Pallon is supposedly from Ladykirk, which ties him into the Paulin's of Ladykirk.

Why oh why can't it be simple eh? :P The Paulin side of my tree is starting to give me a headache, there are numerous of this line that I can not find records for.
Bennett - Devonport
Michelin - London
Varrall - Kent

Offline CelticMom

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 31 October 11 00:27 GMT (UK) »
The baptism at Golden Square, Berwick.

John Paulin, son of William Paulin, Teacher in Berwick, and Isobel his wife, was born there May 3 1801, and baptized by Jn Blackhall, Minister.

The baptism at Norham,

John Pallon, born April 10 1801, baptized April 31 1801 (thats what it says, I know there is no 31st of April), son of William Pallon, native of Ladykirk N.B., by his wife Eleanor Riddle, native of Lowick.

If its a choice between the two, I'd go for John Pallon. Horncliffe is half way between Berwick and Norham, but John Paulin is stated as born Berwick.

Alan.

thank you ever so much for the more detailed transcripts Alan. Could I ask where you got the details?

from google maps it is about 8 mins from Horncliffe to Norham or 12 mins from Horncliffe to Berwick. It does look like the William Pallon and Eleanor are more likely, but who knows?? Not an easy one really.

Also can you see any other baptisms for children of William and Eleanor, as it seems they married in 1776, yet didn't have John until 1801.

I am still trying to find the marriage between my John Paulin and Mary (Unknown) and also any baptisms of their children, mainly  Eleanor Cairns Paulin. I am wondering if perhaps Mary's maiden name is Cairns.

Bennett - Devonport
Michelin - London