Author Topic: Dunns Bank  (Read 9280 times)

Offline linell

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dunns Bank
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 29 September 16 17:49 BST (UK) »
Mostly from Parish Records. Later the 1841 Census.
Black Country Stringer, Sidaway, Mansell, Haynes, Westwood, Yardley, Reading, Worton, Willetts.

Offline Benody1921

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 29 September 16 18:35 BST (UK) »
Good to know. Thank you.
Stuart (India, Antrim, Armagh)
Whiting (Bedfordshire)
Dunn/Taylor (Worcestershire)
Pearson (Worcestershire)
Hill/Rhodes (Worcestershire)
Gough (Warwickshire)
Perry (Devon, Worcestershire)
Maynard (Essex, Yorkshire)
Jennings (Devon)
Coldicott (Warwickshire, Gloucestershire)

Offline Benody1921

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 30 September 16 19:40 BST (UK) »
I haven't been able to find anything about William Dunn marrying Sarah Whittaker. I've seen a lot of Family Trees that have William married to Sarah Whittaker but no sources. I tried finding a marriage certificate for them but can't find anything. There is a William Dunn who married Sarah Ingley. Do you know where Sarah Whittaker came from?
Whiting (Bedfordshire)
Pearson (Worcestershire)
Gough (Warwickshire)
Jennings (Devon)

Offline Benody1921

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 12 April 17 14:43 BST (UK) »
I received a message from a very distant relation with some of the history of Dunns Bank.

He said that Dunns Bank was originally part of the southern edge of Pensnet Chase and was hunting ground for the Earl of Dudley. It was uninhabited except for a few charcoal burner huts which would have been used by Nailers for the smithing process. Eventually the land became more inhabited and the Earl of Dudley decided to use that land for industrial development. He allocated the land to Thomas Raybould. Apparently Daniel Dunn worked for Thomas Raybould. T.R. sold the land to Dunns. According to an Enclose Map, James Dunn (Daniel's brother and my 5th great grandfather) built the first house on Dunns Bank and Daniel later built next door. Years later, James Dunn's plot was divided between two of his sons, William (my 4th great grandfather) and Silas Dunn.

I hope this helps and/or is of interest.
Whiting (Bedfordshire)
Pearson (Worcestershire)
Gough (Warwickshire)
Jennings (Devon)

Offline Richard Dunn

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 03 September 18 21:41 BST (UK) »
,,, And of course , a lot of Dunns still live in the area

Offline AdamsHodgetts

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 11 October 18 18:07 BST (UK) »
I received a message from a very distant relation with some of the history of Dunns Bank.

He said that Dunns Bank was originally part of the southern edge of Pensnet Chase and was hunting ground for the Earl of Dudley. It was uninhabited except for a few charcoal burner huts which would have been used by Nailers for the smithing process. Eventually the land became more inhabited and the Earl of Dudley decided to use that land for industrial development. He allocated the land to Thomas Raybould. Apparently Daniel Dunn worked for Thomas Raybould. T.R. sold the land to Dunns. According to an Enclose Map, James Dunn (Daniel's brother and my 5th great grandfather) built the first house on Dunns Bank and Daniel later built next door. Years later, James Dunn's plot was divided between two of his sons, William (my 4th great grandfather) and Silas Dunn.

Yes I've heard that and the Rayboulds were my ancestors.  :)

Offline katy k

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 10 January 19 03:13 GMT (UK) »
I am also a descendant of James Dunn via his son William who married Sarah Whittaker in sept 1803 in Halesowen so I found this thread of interest.
The name Dunn is very common in this area- not surprising since they nearly all had between 7-15 children ( My grandmother Kate Dunn was one of 11 children)A lot of the names repeat across the generations and most are biblical.
If you are tracing Dunn family try;
 https://bcconnections.tribalpages.com
Hackett, Mills, Hart, Dunn

Offline Benody1921

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 11 March 19 18:02 GMT (UK) »
I am also a descendant of James Dunn via his son William who married Sarah Whittaker in sept 1803 in Halesowen so I found this thread of interest.
The name Dunn is very common in this area- not surprising since they nearly all had between 7-15 children ( My grandmother Kate Dunn was one of 11 children)A lot of the names repeat across the generations and most are biblical.
If you are tracing Dunn family try;
 https://bcconnections.tribalpages.com

Which of William and Sarah's children do you descend from? I'm from Elijah Dunn though there may have been an adoption down the line. I'm still a Dunn though, adoption or not :)
Whiting (Bedfordshire)
Pearson (Worcestershire)
Gough (Warwickshire)
Jennings (Devon)

Offline AdamsHodgetts

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 09 September 20 14:58 BST (UK) »

I have both Dunns and Rayboulds as my direct ancestors in my family tree and I have this will from my 5th great grandfather, Humphry Raybould (Bpt: 13 Apr 1746 - buried 3 July 1827 at St Michael's, Brierley Hill),  regarding the three cottages and premises while he (Humphry) held under the right honourable Lord Viscount Dudley and ward and which were in the several occupations of his three sons Thomas, Joseph, David Raybould and two daughters, Ann and Prudence:-

This is the last will and Testament of Mr Humphry Raybould of the parish of Kingswinford in the County of Stafford yeoman I order and direct that all my just debts funeral and testamentary expenses shall be paid and discharged by my Executors hereafter named I give and bequeath all my household goods and furniture bedding linen and other effects that shall be in and about the dwelling house and premises in my occupation at the time of my decease unto my two daughters Ann the wife of George Easthope and Prudence the wife of Isaac Beddard equally between them.

Also I give and bequeath unto my wife who lives separate and apart from me and has behaved extremely unkind to me the sum of one pound only to be paid to her within one month next after my decease.

Also I order and direct my Executors hereafter named to pay to my son in law the said George Easthope in three months after my decease the sum of five pounds and twelve shillings in satisfaction and discharge of a debt but from me to him also I give my tenant right in and to three cottages and premises while I hold under the right honourable Lord Viscount Dudley and ward and which are now in the several occupations of my three sons Thomas, Joseph and David Raybould and for which they respectively pay me rent and it is my will that care of them shall hold and enjoy after my decease the cottage and premises now in his own occupation and in case any or either of said sons shall at the time of my decease not owe any rent or arrears of rent for their respective cottages and premises then and in such case I do hereby authorise and support my Executors to stop and adjust out of his or their share or shares of the monies personal estate in and effects hereafter given and bequeathed by me to them respectively all such sum and sums of money as they shall or may not and be indebted to me for rent and arrears of rent as aforesaid all the rest and residue of my monies personal estate and effects that I shall die possessed of I give and bequeath unto my said five children Thomas, Joseph and David Raybould, Ann Easthope and Prudence Beddard equally amongst them share and share alike and lastly I appoint Daniel Heathcock, Coalminer and Benjamin Hancox, Tracemaker but of Mushroom Green in the parish of Dudley in the County of Worcester Executors of this my will and revoke all former will and wills by me heretofore made in Witness whereof the said Humphry Raybould have hereunto set my hand and seal published and declared this to be my last will and testament the fourth day of April in the year of our lord one thousand eight hundred and twenty five.  The mark of X Humphry Raybould SS Signed Sealed published and declared by the said Testater Humphry Raybould as and for his will and testament in the presence of us Phebe Fellowes & Thos Orme  Clerk to Mr Fellowes. Dudley.

Proved at London 25th October 1827 before the Judge by the oaths of Daniel Heathcock and Benjamin Hancox the Exors to whom Admin was granted having both first sworn duly to Admr.