Author Topic: Neilston Manse - why this address on 1851 Ancestry census  (Read 6043 times)

Offline Murphyz

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Neilston Manse - why this address on 1851 Ancestry census
« on: Monday 31 October 11 19:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

I have gone to check an entry on the 1851 census for some one and I am not sure of what the census address actually means.

The entry they have is on ancestry is for a Joel Harkin aged 27 in Neilston in 1851 at Neilston Manse. He is a travelling cloth dealer.

I have gone to Barrhead Library and looked through the microfilm of the census; the first section of the census definitely is the Manse with the minister of the parish living there, 6 people at the Manse itself. Then there is clearly a thick line under it and it continues with lots of other entries, which to me mean a new address. But there are no other addresses just pages and pages of names separated by thick black lines. Joel Harkin's entry is quite a bit further down the census from the Manse.

Any help greatly appreciated
Thanks
Murphyz

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Neilston Manse - why this address on 1851 Ancestry census
« Reply #1 on: Monday 31 October 11 21:02 GMT (UK) »
Murphyz, checked on FreeCen for 1851 but can't see his entry there. From here http://www.barrhead-scotland.com/Culture/history/1851census.asp where Joel shows, there is no specific address either www.barrhead-scotland.com/resources/admin/server_table_data/GenericView.asp?KEY=3499

Sometimes for these earlier census entries, specific addresses were not given which looks to be the case here.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Murphyz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 November 11 19:55 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much for the help Monica,

Regards
Murphyz

Offline mazdathomas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 November 11 23:50 GMT (UK) »
The inquiry about Neilston Manse from Murphyz was on my behalf.   Toll Harken (he was recorded as Joel) was a travelling cloth dealer.   What I assume are his brothers, Peter and John are also at the address which I now understand from Monica was not the Manse.  This had confused me as he was a Catholic so the explanation makes sense now.   I am now following a line that seems to suggest that he may have been a 'Irish traveller' from a family or community of travellers.  The family story I have is that he was a 'tinker' or 'pedlar'.  Would you know anything about this Monica ?  Thanks for your help so far. 

Regards
Maz

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 23 November 11 09:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maz

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

There is a board here on RC 'Travelling People' www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/board,387.0.html which you might want to look at and ask for advice on how to proceed with the Harkin brothers.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mazdathomas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 25 November 11 03:26 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Monica.  I will check out the 'Travelling People' board.  Appreciate your help.

Maz

Offline scottishmist

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 14 February 12 19:16 GMT (UK) »
Hello

sorry I can't help ............. just to say I lived at the Manse about 1969/1970 just before it got pull down .
Jan
P.S would love to see some photos.
Paisley:Cowan,McFarlane,
Neilston:Thorpe,Young,Edgar,McGraw,McDonald
Strath:Grant,McClean,Chrisholm
Houston:Whyte
Ayrshire:McIlwraith,McCulloch
Kirkcubright:Halliday,Blackloch

Offline longshanks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 21 May 12 21:59 BST (UK) »
I've occasionally found entries in the census where travellers are entered then deleted as not actually in residence. Also just because it is the manse does not preclude lodgers or even people being offered short term shelter in an outhouse. Some manses were not occupied by the minister if he had other means or habitation. In such situations they might be leased. This is likely to be the Church of Scotland manse. Neilston had nonconformist churches as well.
Beattie,Edwards,Hope,Jarman,McLuckie, Meason, Murray, Summers, Welsh, Wilde, Wemyss, Wright

Offline ColinWM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 09 May 17 11:08 BST (UK) »
I have been reading these posts with some interest. I have and ancestor who's address in the 1851 census was Neilston Manse. Neither he or his wife were Irish they were both born in Neilston. The census shows he and his wife along with one son and one daughter lived at the Manse. I always thought a Manse was where the priest/vicar lived. The family I am researching is Steel(e), I don't recognise any of the names mentioned in this post so far so am I correct in assuming a few different families lived at the Manse? I have tried to google Neilston Manse but I have found out very little so far.