Author Topic: Murder at Paddington  (Read 2874 times)

Offline joan

• RootsChat Member
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Murder at Paddington
« on: Tuesday 01 November 11 18:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi can anyone tell me how I can find details of a murder that occurred in 1911 at Paddington, a Thomas Fenton Churchman was killed by I believe a James Scannell.   It appears that a relative of mine a Jessica Jeanes was the lover of both of these two gentleman and Scannell killed his rival.  I have Googled the names and everything else I can think of but can find no record. ???

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Murder at Paddington
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 November 11 18:37 GMT (UK) »
There seems to be something in" the times" archive.

"The Times digital archives 1785 - 1985 is operated by Thomson Gale databases and can be accessed through some UK county libraries and universities"

All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline Pastmagic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Levington House, Mullingar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 November 11 18:42 GMT (UK) »
http://www.oldbaileyonline.org/browse.jsp?path=sessionsPapers%2F19120130.xml
Has a full account.
PM
See
Jessica Louisa Jeanes.
In this family tree:
http://www.collettfamilyhistory.net/Part%2018%20-%20The%20Suffolk%20Line%201870%20to%202010%20Rev.21.htm
may explain why she is called L. Jeanes in this account.

Offline Dazey999

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 01 November 11 18:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Joan

There was a piece in The Times on 3 Feb 1912.  

James Scannell (45) a shoemaker, pleaded not guilty to the murder.  Thomas F Churchman had been living for some years with a woman called Jeanes.  In Nov 1910 they took lodgings in Camden Town and that's when they met Scannell, who was living in the same house.  Churchman left Jeanes and she then began to live with Scannell and by Dec 1911 they (J & S) were living together in Bosworth Rd, N Kensington.  C came to see them and S was worried that J would go off with him again, but she told S that C was going away and that she wouldn't be seeing him again.  But a few days later C turned up at the house again and threw S out of the house.  S then took a shoemaker's knife from his pocket and stabbed C in the abdomen.  S (who had been drinking) said he'd done it in self defence.  J gave evidence that C had said that if he got hold of S he would kill him and she'd told S that C had said that.  In 1901 S had been discharged from the Army as a 'dangerous lunatic' and spent 2 years in an asylum.  Medical reports blamed his 'insanity' on drink.  The verdict was Manslaughter and S was sentenced to 5 years penal servitude.

An earlier report said that Churchman was a ship's fireman and he also went under the name of Thomas White.

The initial report in The Times on 10 Jan 1912 said that the woman's name was Louisa Jeanes

Hope this helps

Dazey

Offline joan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 01 November 11 20:43 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all very much, I cannot believe how fast the Rootschat 'family' can find information!  I have tried looking at The Times but obviously was putting in incorrect information.   I think I need lessons in genealogy research.  Once again thank you very much I shall follow up on all that you have sent.  Joan

Offline Denise1958

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 01 July 15 20:41 BST (UK) »
I've just seen your post regarding the murder of in Paddington, Jessica Louise Jeanes was my great grandmother

Offline joan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 02 July 15 15:15 BST (UK) »
 :)Hello, just started to write a reply and it disappeared! so hopefully trying again, Jessica Jean(e)s would have b een my 1st cousin 2 removed making her father Charles my gt.gt. Uncle. I keep meaning to get back to this branch of my tree but keep getting sidetracked with other branches, I would love to hear from you, regards Joan