Author Topic: Irish relative  (Read 7869 times)

Offline scottwalker01

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Irish relative
« on: Wednesday 02 November 11 03:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Guys

I am from Australia and trying to research my ancestry.  I am stuck on a Frederick Rougier who was born in Ireland and lived in Donnybrook in the early 1800's.  He later moved to Scotland.

I know it is very speculative but I was hoping someone might know someone who may be researching the Rougier family or who may direct me as to where I might be able to find further information.

I was hoping to holiday in Ireland (amongst other things) and visit some of my relatives haunts.

Thanks
Scott

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Irish relative
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 November 11 08:53 GMT (UK) »
Do you have any other details on your Rougier family in Ireland - e.g. names, trade or occupation, dates of birth, marriage or emigration ?

There are a few Rougier records on the IrishGenealogy website - which covers mostly Dublin city parishes. See link

For some notes on getting started see :

Introduction to Irish Records
  My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 November 11 11:32 GMT (UK) »
There's an old post on GenForum (2007) with a bit more detail from someone looking for the same name...

'...anyone know of families with the name Rougier or Ruigerin Dublin in the early 1800s? Hit a brick wall with ancestors Frederick Edward (railway contractor), his wife Louisa (ms not known). They had three daughers in the 1820s - 1830s, all born in Dublin: Belinda, Maria and Frances. Do not know of any other children. By the 1850s all three daughters were in Glasgow.'

see : link

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline scottwalker01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 November 11 11:43 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Guys - thats him, Frederick Edward. Belinda Rougier (his daughter) became Belinda Davie and is my direct ancestor.  Rougier seems to be a French name and was trying to track him back to France.  Seems like someone else has hit the same brick wall.

Thanks to both of you in taking the time to respond to my post, I really appreciate it.

Scott Walker

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 02 November 11 13:12 GMT (UK) »
There are several public trees on Ancestry which include Frederick Edward Rougier, but none mention any sources or additional details for him other than his wife's first name and and approximate date and place of birth for his daughter Belinda (1821, 'Donebrook', Dublin)

It appears that Belinda's married name was Davie and she possibly lived in Glasgow - would a marriage or death cert give more details of her parents ?

I dont see any directory listings in Dublin city or county for Rougier (or variants) in 1824 or 1834.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline fionahc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 04 January 12 05:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Scott,

The old posting was from me, just happened to be in here again this evening, and I'd given the information on Frederick and Belinda to a couple of people.

Belinda and Frederick Rougier are also my direct ancestors, as is Belinda Davie so we are distantly related. Would be happy to share what I have, although I don't seem to manage to get further back. Do not that at least some of the family moved to Belfast from Donnybrook before getting to Scotland.

My mother also told me htt the family was French.

If you'd like to exchange information please let me know.

Regards,
Fiona

Offline gaylehogberg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 22 April 12 07:12 BST (UK) »
Hi
I am also a direct descendant of Belinda Rougier and James Davie. I was working with the name Ruiger as that is how it was noted on their daughter Mary's death certificate. I am so glad to have found these postings and to find some other descendants of Belinda.
Gayle

Offline DudleyWinchurch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 22 April 12 18:17 BST (UK) »
There are a few references to a Francois Rougier in the early 1700s in the Huguenot records for Dublin.
McDonough, Oliver, McLoughlin, O'Brien, Cuthbert, Keegan, Quirk(e), O'Malley, McGuirk (Ireland)
Dudley, Winchurch, Wolverson, Brookes (Black Country)
Concannon, Moore, Markowski (Markesky), Mottram, Lawton (Black Country)

Offline fionahc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 28 April 12 04:13 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Found out recently that there is also a Louisa Ruiger in the Irish records - her father was noted as Fredrick in one record. I suspect she might be another daughter of Frederick and Louisa. This person married in 1847, so the timing is about right but I have not been able to find anything to support this idea, so it is only a guess.

Regards,
Fiona