Author Topic: orphanage/childrens home portishead near bristol  (Read 28179 times)

Offline GARLAND

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
orphanage/childrens home portishead near bristol
« on: Wednesday 02 November 11 21:13 GMT (UK) »
hi

does anyone know of a orphanage /childrens home called nore house between bristol and porishead it was there in 1950s now shut down

cheers m

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: orphanage/childrens home portishead near bristol
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 November 11 21:51 GMT (UK) »
Think you'll find that Nore House was on Nore Road, Portishead?

I'll need to rack my brains for this! (Portishead born & bred!!)
Are you sure you didn't mean the National Nautical School - also on Nore Road - which trained boys for a life in the Navy?

In 1901, Nore House was a private home to a Bank Cashier - who had a governess and 3 servants!
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 November 11 22:07 GMT (UK) »
The National Nautical School for Homeless and Destitute Boys (to give it's full title) was certified for 350 boys in 1905.
Re-certified in 1931 for 225 boys, and became an approved school in 1933.
It was formerly based on the Bristol Industrial School Ship, T.S. Formidable, which was based in the Bristol Channel, just outside Portishead Harbour.

The shore-based establishment is now a private development, called Fedden Village.

See http://fedden.biz/histformidable.php

Records are at Bristol Archives.
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a2a/records.aspx?cat=002-38087&cid=0#0
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline GARLAND

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 November 11 22:17 GMT (UK) »
hi KGarrad

thanks for your quick replies , the place i am looking for took in boys and girls in , a friend of mine her mum died young  and 3 children under the age of 6 were put into this childrens home and waited to be forstered in 1957/58

cheers m

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 03 November 11 08:33 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately, I currently live in The Netherlands, and can't simply pop into Portishead Library!

But, I did find this via Google:

I just found this post, and it brought back memories of when I worked in a large residential nursery in Portishead, I think it was called Nore House it wasnt a pleasant expeirence I was a lowly assistant along with a lot of other young girls trying to care for so many young children with very little guidence given to us by the qualified staff, and a pittance for wages.although the building had been a beautiful house in its time with the grounds running down to the water edge.I wonder what happened to the children when it was closed down, and is the house still there?

Also found a site selling 1930's Ordnance Survey of Portishead (West) (google for Alan Godfrey Maps).
Quote: Features on the map include West Hill, Dry Hill, Capenore Court, Greenfield Farm, Springfield Farm, St Peter's church, National Nautical School, Nore House, Black Nore Point Lighthouse, St Barnabas church, convent, Blade Road. (reckon that last should be Slade Road?)

Offline GARLAND

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 03 November 11 14:16 GMT (UK) »
hi KGarrad

thanks very much for the extra info and your time , i will pass onto my friend and hopfully it will ring some bells with her

cheers m

Offline Kipper2421

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 11 January 12 09:10 GMT (UK) »
My brother came from Nore House in Portishead, and is in contact with people who worked there after he had come to live with my family, and with people who are still in touch with children who were there.  It was entirely separate from the Nautical School.  He too would be interested to share information.

Offline hendren

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 15 January 12 16:59 GMT (UK) »
My husband is the brother mentioned by his sister below. Here is his message: I was a child at Nore house from 1955 to 1958. I was 4 years old when i was fostered. I have some vivid memories of Nore house and some photos of children that were there at the same time as me. I continued to live in Portishead for some time afterwards and my best friend used to live in the property adjacent to nore house. If I recall correctly, I can remember Nore House Closing before I left school in 1970 as I saw the Outside wall and entrance to Nore House being bricked up prior to new housing being built in the grounds.

I would be delighted to share my memories with any other interested party.
Stringer Shoreditch Belfast Liverpool
Bradshaw Belfast
Jones Holywell Flintshire
Hendren Ayrshire
Maurer  France Ayrshire

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 16 January 12 08:09 GMT (UK) »
So, another product of Gordano School? ;D

Small world!

Non nobis dominae - as the school song says!!