Author Topic: orphanage/childrens home portishead near bristol  (Read 28016 times)

Offline Nononsense

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: orphanage/childrens home portishead near bristol
« Reply #27 on: Friday 18 September 15 06:54 BST (UK) »
KGarrad. Sorry this is out of context but I could not find any other way of asking.  Are you one of twins?

Offline NNEB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 18 September 15 09:23 BST (UK) »
No am not a twin!

Offline NNEB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 18 September 15 09:29 BST (UK) »
Hi All

I have just joined too, and am interested in Nore House and its history.

I think I now live in the 'other' property that was adjacent to Nore House, and which was used as staff quarters when it was an orphanage.  We acquired the building when the developers had finished building on the site having pulled the main house down.

I would love to know more of the history and see any photographs should anyone have any.  My friend actually worked at the orphanage for a while and is looking to see if she has any pictures.

If your enquiries have made any progress that you can share, please get in touch.

Regards.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 18 September 15 09:45 BST (UK) »
KGarrad. Sorry this is out of context but I could not find any other way of asking.  Are you one of twins?

I am indeed! ;D
Keith still lives in Possett; I moved away to the Isle of Man.

My daughter (also a twin) has recently moved back to Portishead.
She has twins, too!
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Nononsense

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 18 September 15 14:19 BST (UK) »

I am indeed! ;D
Keith still lives in Possett; I moved away to the Isle of Man.

My daughter (also a twin) has recently moved back to Portishead.
She has twins, too!
How strange!  I happened upon a photo the other day of us on the beach and we are about 4-5 and I was wondering what happened to you both yippie now I know!!

Offline NNEB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 25 September 15 20:37 BST (UK) »
To Portisheadframer. I understand you live in the coach house that belonged to Nore House, I trained as a nursery nurse at Nore in the 60s ,the coach house was as you said the staff quarters,the entrance was on the drive level with 4 (I think) bedrooms kitchen,sitting room.There were stairs leading down to a laundry,rec room, and an open space where the prams were kept this opened out onto a large area where the washing lines  were ,then the drive wound back up to the front of the house.

Offline JennyJohnson

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 03 October 15 00:17 BST (UK) »
Hi all. Another newbie to this revelatory roots maneuver!
Sat with my dear ol' Ma in Cyprus on her very well deserved holiday on the sun, @ so long last....!!!!
Needless to say our conversation has spiralled inwards to her most profound life experience. Growing up in Nore House! She's now 72 & was a resident for want of a better word from the age of 3: 1946 to the age of 10: 1956. She remembers Matron England & the man in charge she recalls was a Mr Llewelyn who may well be dead by now!? She has some fantastic & fond memories of the wonderful care she received from the staff there. (if your reading this, thank you so very much).
Mum was the only Black Girl in the village! & was fostered to a family in the area called the Coolings.
While she was there, Mum made. A true friend. A blond haired, blue eyed boy called Peter. Peter Johnson. Mum says she's still got his marble. The one they used to play with together between the railings of the boys & girls playgrounds in St Peters School. She says when he was adopted, they told her he had been taken to America. Mum says she was truly heartbroken. He was her only true friend. Mum was told she couldn't go with him. He was blond & blue eyed & would have a chance @ life. Mum was told she couldn't go because she was black & there was no place for her. ( A wicked world eh!?).
So if any body has any info or knows of anyone who may have been in the home from 46' to 56' please please please get in touch, say hi & share your memories.
Mum's not ofay with this new tech stuff, she's pretty old school so I'll do my best to translate in the most authentic way I can for her. It really does mean a lot to us.
Big love to all of you who came thru the system,
My heart really does feel for you.
Big love, Jenny Johnson & sons x

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 03 October 15 08:31 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat! ;D

Mum was the only Black Girl in the village! & was fostered to a family in the area called the Coolings.

Would that be the Cooling family in Queen's Avenue?
I lived in the same street! ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Nononsense

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 03 October 15 10:08 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat

Would that be the Cooling family in Queen's Avenue?
I lived in the same street! ;D
So you did!  We lived in Severn Road and our garden backed on to yours. My mum grew up with your mum (Portbury) I bumped into one of the Short boys in Clevedon on Monday and had a chat about the old days!!!  I remember the Coolings as well.