Author Topic: orphanage/childrens home portishead near bristol  (Read 28160 times)

Offline NNEB

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: orphanage/childrens home portishead near bristol
« Reply #63 on: Thursday 04 January 18 22:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi, as I posted some time ago I was a nursery nurse at Nore House in the early 60s I have a photo of the house if you are interested please send me your email add

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Sunday 01 September 19 10:36 BST (UK) »
I have received a potted history of Nore House, from Sandy Tebbutt of The Gordano Society.

Attached here, just in case it is of interest.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline NNEB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Sunday 01 September 19 10:42 BST (UK) »
Hi,yes I have received article,very interesting often wondered when I was working there about it’s history

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Monday 02 September 19 20:39 BST (UK) »
You can add images to your posts here on RootsChat, you just need to click on the "attach button" :)
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Hola

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Saturday 21 September 19 09:02 BST (UK) »
Hello, I have read this thread with much interest and would love to see pictures of Nore house and it’s estate if you have them. I live in what I think must have been part of the estate and have tried many times to find out its history. This house was built in 1887 and would have been adjacent I think to Nore house , maybe the Nore estate was divided and this house built then?

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Saturday 21 September 19 09:07 BST (UK) »
As you live in the area, have you asked at Portishead Library?
They may have some maps of the town and/or other information.

And, Welcome to RootsChat! ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Hola

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Saturday 21 September 19 09:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Thank you for replying and your welcome :) I have searched the library many times and have found some interesting information about the area but nothing specifically relating to Nore house and it’s estate  I will try again but I will also ask this time too , thank you

Offline BRUTT

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Monday 25 January 21 12:03 GMT (UK) »
I was resident at Nore House from 1956 - 1962. I remember my time there with great fondness and always recall being treated well. I was not an orphan, but I was there, I believe, because Bristol Social Services had concerns for my wellbeing. I do recall being fostered out to a family in Bristol when I was around 6 years of age, but this proved to be un-successful, and I returned to Nore House after about 9 months.
Obviously my memory of the building and grounds has altered over the years and my perception of it comes from that of an eight year old, but I recall the building being stone built, with a large entrance hall in front and a wooden staircase up to the 1st floor, and a corridor going left and right where different dormitories slept up to 30 children. Downstairs were 2-3 home group rooms where the children were divided up and looked after by a Nanny and an assistant - young girls at different stages of their careers. There was also a big kitchen downstairs.

The rear gardens were on 2 levels with a slope down to the 2nd level, steps to a wooded area and a path to the beach/sea and views across the Bristol Channel - I accidentally set fire to the woods when I was there, and almost got trapped in  the fire!! I remember the rope swing and net referred to in an earlier post, and spent many happy hours playing there. The front of the house had a high wall and wooden gate with a drive up to the house.

The coach house was the Staff quarters - I never went in there so know nothing more than that. The tradition of firework displays was already in place when I was there; lots of Portishead residents attended, and I remember enjoying these events.

Overall my experience at Nore House was great. Because I was there for such a long time, I was almost treated as part of the furniture. When I was 8 years old, I was "transferred" to Sutcliffe Boarding School near Bath and remained there for a further 2 years before returning to my family home in Bristol. My life has been heavily influenced by my early experience at Nore House, and I am grateful the time I spent there.

I've never spoken to anybody I was there with, and don't recall any names, but I would love to be able to share my experiences with anybody who was there, or to see photos - I've got none myself.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Monday 25 January 21 16:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi! Welcome to RootsChat!  ;D

If you read through this thread, you will see that I grew up in Portishead!

The Gordano Civic Society may have some pictures.
Edition 23 of their magazine "Posset Pieces" had an article on Nore House.

You might also find some photos on FaceBook.
There's a group called "Portishead Past".

There is a potted history at reply #65.