Author Topic: New Romney Light Dragoons c1796  (Read 2396 times)

Offline Ravelin

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
New Romney Light Dragoons c1796
« on: Thursday 03 November 11 14:10 GMT (UK) »
Hello

My ancestor John Richardson married in Canterbury, Kent in 1796. He was stated as being a soldier on the marriage record.

I have seen on a website that in 1795 The Canterbury Barracks were built & finished, and on the 1st of October, the New Romney Light Dragoons, commanded by Colonel C. DERING, marched in as the first occupiers.  I believe they were also called The New Romney Corps of Fencible Cavalry (or Duke of York's Own Fencible Cavalry).

Were the soldiers who joined The New Romney Light Dragoons all from New Romney in Kent ?

Also are there records relating to the New Romney Light Dragoons available anywhere that would have John's birthplace ?

Ravelin

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: New Romney Light Dragoons c1796
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 03 November 11 16:22 GMT (UK) »

The National Archives Catalogue lists the service records of 18 men who served with the Romney Fencibles and another regiment - use Romney Fencibles and class WO97. They should be available to view on Findmypast. They are no longer available in Kew

The first mention in the London Gazette was in May 1794 so any soldier serving before then must have come from another regiment, and so could have come from anywhere.

For men who only served in the Romney Fencibles the NA recommends you ask at the local record office. But they are likely to be in ‘private hands’, ie lost.

The muster records for three periods with gaps are in the NA in WO13 - search using just Romney. But the first one covers 1794 to 1800. Such a wide period suggests they are 2-3 foot square of parchment which will not give his place of birth, nor even where he was enlisted. It should tell you if he came from another regiment. In which case you can go to their records and research their movements. Then you will have to look at the church records of the places they passed. You can also follow his service forward.

Ken

Offline Ravelin

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 03 November 11 16:53 GMT (UK) »
Hello Ken

Thank you for the info you have provided me with. I will definately follow up on some of the leads you gave me.

Looking at those records of soldiers of the Romney Fencibles on the National Archives website gives various places of birth. Yes i guess John could be from anywhere as you say.

I will definately look at those W013 Militia and Volunteers Muster Books and Pay Lists records for the years covering 1794 - 1800 on my visit to Kew. They will confirm if John was actually in the New Romney Fencibles.

Ravelin

Offline Robert Kemp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 March 18 21:52 GMT (UK) »
My 4xgreat grandfather John Foreman is down as being a serjeant in the 28th Regiment of Light Dragoons on his wedding certificate. He was born in Burmash, Kent in 1778, and was married in April 1800 in Beverley, East Yorkshire.

I think this regiment is The New Romney Fencible Cavalry (Duke of York's Own) (1794 to 1800).

I would love to see the muster records.

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 23 March 18 10:31 GMT (UK) »
Good morning,

28th light dragoons were a regular cavalry unit, raised march 1795, disbanded in Ireland 1802.

Fencibles were the fore runner of the yeomanry, part timers. So would most likely have been local to that area. In that area they were most likey have been called upon to catch smugglers. Heavy dragoons were tasked with that job but often had long distances to cover so local fencibles were called out until the dragoons could get there.

As the fencibles often had friends and family doing the smuggling they didn't try too hard.

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 23 March 18 11:39 GMT (UK) »
The New Romney was raised in the strength of 0ne Troop and was attached to or incorporated into the Cinque Ports Regiment of Fencible Cavalry.

This is very detailed.

https://www.kentarchaeology.org.uk/Research/Pub/ArchCant/Vol.062%20-%201949/062-02.pdf.

Although their uniforms were based on light dragoon ones the shell jacket was red.

https://collection.nam.ac.uk/detail.php?acc=2002-06-81-1.

Attached is an officer of CPFC. Note red shell jacket and fur lined blue pelisse

Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 23 March 18 13:09 GMT (UK) »
Good afternoon,

I read the Kent archeology link earlier but couldn't put up a link myself as on tablet.

Very interesting reading, what I have read previously about fencibles said they were part timers. But that says they were raised for duty in British Isles only in a full time role.

Interesting that they were in Ireland and not catching smugglers, but fencibles were used in that role. A coincedence perhaps that they were in Ireland at the same time as the 28th light dragoons.

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 23 March 18 13:33 GMT (UK) »
Only Regulars served abroad as far as I know until the very end of the Peninsular War. There may have been a few exceptions. Militia Regiments were sent to Spain or Southern France for the last Months of the War (probably 1814) to free up regiments for transfer to North America (War of 1812).

The 1798 rebellion was very serious. Very harsh methods employed. 
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline Robert Kemp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 24 March 18 02:36 GMT (UK) »
This is interesting. I read the Kent New Romney Dragoons history too. I had assumed my 4 x great grandfather was a regular, not a fencible, but I cannot find any records on Findmypast. I have also tried various spellings of John Foreman but have come up with nothing.

I therefore think he was in the New Romney Fencibles, as he was born in the New Romney area (Burmash), with the New Romney Fencibles possibly stationed in Beverley East Yorkshire - or somewhere not too far away. I think East Yorkshire has a strong connection with dragoons but I am no military historian.

Also, around 1800, things were still quite hairy from a military point of view so I understand the fencibles would have been stationed all over the country. 

"For most, 1800 was a terrible year, hardly enlivened by the visit of the Russian general, Arbeneff, and his inspection of the huge militia force which was still thought necessary to keep in Hull ---- the third West York Militia, the East Sussex Militia and the Sussex Fencible Cavalry."  - P 238 A History of Hull by Edward Gillett and Kenneth A. MacMahon, Hull University Press, 1980 ISBN 0 85958 448 8.