Author Topic: Soho Street Glasgow 1870 help  (Read 8510 times)

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Soho Street Glasgow 1870 help
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 03 November 11 19:44 GMT (UK) »
What was the family name?

Candleriggs still exists and this site has lots of good pictures. Scroll down until you come to those mentioning Gallowgate and you will see the frontage of many of the tenements in the area

http://urbanglasgow.co.uk/archive/glasgow-in-the-1960s-70s-and-80s-around-the-city-vol-1__o_t__t_1654.html

Offline my-irish-family

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 03 November 11 19:51 GMT (UK) »
Their name was Ross.  She was Jane and her daughter was Maryann (married into a Ross family, so still Ross), and her sons were Robert and Thomas Ross. 
I know maryann lived in craighall road on 1861 census but moved back to ireland before 1871, her son robert lived all around glasgow (but cannot find him on the 1871 census) and her son thomas was down as living in candleriggs in 1871 but no jane....  mystery deepens...  :)

The pictures and maps are great guys!
Glasgow: ROSS, WRIGHT, MURRAY, FALCONER
Derry: ROSS, ADAIR, COLHOUN, JOHNSTON, THOMPSON, TAIT, LOWTHER, HUSTON
Donegal: BROWN, McCLAY, GALLAGHER, MEHAFFEY (McHAFFEY), OGILBY
Tyrone: LITTLE, OGILBY,
Brisbane, Australia: ADAIR
Victoria, Australia: ROSS
Canada: COLHOUN

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 03 November 11 20:06 GMT (UK) »
What age was she when she died?

Offline my-irish-family

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 03 November 11 20:09 GMT (UK) »
she was 67.
Glasgow: ROSS, WRIGHT, MURRAY, FALCONER
Derry: ROSS, ADAIR, COLHOUN, JOHNSTON, THOMPSON, TAIT, LOWTHER, HUSTON
Donegal: BROWN, McCLAY, GALLAGHER, MEHAFFEY (McHAFFEY), OGILBY
Tyrone: LITTLE, OGILBY,
Brisbane, Australia: ADAIR
Victoria, Australia: ROSS
Canada: COLHOUN

Offline Irene Robertson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 04 January 18 16:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi there.  I found a death certificate of my 4g grandmother who died in 1873 at 76 Soho Street, Glasgow.  The informant was her son who lived in Glasgow, but as far as i am aware she lived in ireland.  Im gathering either she had not long moved there (cant find her on 1871 census) or was on holiday. 

However, my dilemma is i cannot find any info on soho street in glasgow.  Id like to know if it was a tenement area in which she died (ie someone's home) or if maybe there used to be a hospital there? Or are there any photos or descriptions of soho street around this time on the internet somewhere?  She died of old age/general debility of which had a duration of three weeks and her death was certified by a surgeon (hospital??)  Her son lived at candlebriggs at the time.

Any info would be greatly appreciated, thank you!
I lived just down from Soho st from the late 1940s and never knew any hospital in that area.. but there were tenement buildings if you d like photos , I have some.. there was a big fire station with housing in the back for the firemen and their families.. and some tenements up at the top of the street leading on to the Gallowgate.. with a bank....  I dont think there would be much there really at that time.. but at least I can fill you in and help a bit.. contact me          donnarobertson@hotmail.co.uk           or come on Glescapals facebook where you might get some information..

Offline ayrgenes

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 05 January 18 18:31 GMT (UK) »
Born and lived not far from Soho St in the early 50s, nearest hospitals would be Belvedere Hosp, on London Rd and Duke st Hosp, as well as Royal Infirmary.

Davie
Dempster - Glasgow, Muirkirk, Sorn, Ayrshire
McIntyre - Glasgow, Campsie
Hinde - Glasgow, Wolverhampton
McLintock - Glasgow, Kilmarnock,
McGlade - Rutherglen, Ireland
Kettlewell - Yorkshire

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 06 January 18 13:27 GMT (UK) »
What threw me is why a surgeon would certify her death when she was dying of old age... (that does mean that the surgeon pronounced her dead, does it?)
There would have had to be a certificate from a medical man to confirm the cause of death. In earlier times, 'surgeon' was a more general term for a member of the medical profession, not necessarily someone who spent all his career in operating theatres.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 08 January 18 20:24 GMT (UK) »
I had a great grandfather in Manchester who always described himself as Physician & Surgeon.     He actually rode on a horse to see his patients, and often delivered babies himself, some of these births being long drawn out and difficult.     Perhaps this last part would be why he also called himself a surgeon.   

Offline SandyMcJ

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 21 January 18 17:09 GMT (UK) »
Don't know if this link will work, but there's a photo of 'Soho Farm' on Facebook's 'Lost Glasgow' pages together with some info on Soho St.

https://www.facebook.com/lostglasgowofficial/posts/1219577771487410:0

Sandy