Author Topic: (Angus) John MacDonald HEICS Lochbroom  (Read 4159 times)

Offline MJHS1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
(Angus) John MacDonald HEICS Lochbroom
« on: Friday 04 November 11 22:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I'm trying to trace the ancestry of (Angus) John MacDonald HEICS (b 1757- d 1830).

He was married to Margaret Stewart/Stuart, who I believe was the daughter of Alexander Stuart, Tacksman of Inverlael.

According to family records, John was born in Lochbroom; joined the army when he was 17; then spent 17 years abroad before returning to Ullapool, having being appointed Controller of Customs in recognition of his distinguished valour against Hyde Ali and Tippo Sahib in India.

His children were:

Thomas MacDonald  b. 1791/6  Lochbroom  md. 11 Jun 1825 Forres Moray d. 8 Oct 1873 Greenock, Renfrew
     + Jessie Raff  b. 1800 (dghtr of Alexander Raff/Ralph & Catherine Eddie md. 3 Apr 1790)  d. 17 Nov 1868

Angus MacDonald b. 1799 d. 1825 Boating Accident

Duncan Stuart MacDonald  b.c. 1803/11 0 Nov 1885
      + Margaret MacGregor b. 1837 Barvas, Isle of Lewis. (dghtr of William MacGregor & Helen Gillanders)

Ann Macdonald b.c. 1807
    + Murdo Mckenzie md. 17 Mar 1825 Ullapool, Lochbroom (Living St. Vincent at time of marriage)

Jessie/Janet MacDonald  b. 1815 d. 1908
    + Robert Cameron 6th of Camuserracht  b. 1809 d. 1895 School Master

Family records suggest that he was the son of Angus John MacDonald, Tacksman of Scoraig. Unfortunately, although there was a John MacDonald, Tacksman of Scoraig (b 1766/76 d 1866), the dates don't fit. This John MacDonald was the son of Murdo MacDonald.

(Angus) John MacDonald was buried in the churchyard at Clachan.

I should be grateful for any information.

Mike

Offline Lydia Kath

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: (Angus) John MacDonald HEICS Lochbroom
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 July 18 12:25 BST (UK) »
Hey, Angus John MacDonald is my 5th great grandfather, and while I have't yet found any record of his ancestry, I do have record of his descendants which I can provide if you want. I do however have a family tree written some time ago by my great grandfather which lists his wife as Janet (or Jessie) Stewart, a daughter of Alex Stewart and Ann Urquhart.  If you have found out anything else I would love to hear back.
Exert from my English great grandfather's tree:
"Angus John was born in 1757 and died in 1830. At the age of 17 he went to India with his cousin MacKenzie, second son of the Laird of Dundonnell, where he remained for 17 years, serving presumably in the Army of the East India Company. On returning from India, in consideration of his distinguished valour against Hyde Ali and Tippo Sahib, he was given the post of Controller of Customs at Ullapool, through the influence of the Duke of York. Ullapool at this time was supposed to be being developed into an important North Highland port. This couple were buried in the Loch Broom churchyard outside Ullapool." 
Thanks, Lydia

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: (Angus) John MacDonald HEICS Lochbroom
« Reply #2 on: Monday 09 July 18 16:52 BST (UK) »
If he was with the HEICS, there should be records in the India Office collections in the British Library in London.

Some of these collections can be consulted online at FindMyPast - I suggest this might be your next step.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.