Author Topic: Fairlie MADGWICK "Mather House" - Gourock 1867  (Read 9326 times)

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Fairlie MADGWICK "Mather House" - Gourock 1867
« Reply #9 on: Monday 07 November 11 09:53 GMT (UK) »
I spotted the addresses in 19th Century newspapers.

What about Scottish Directories - see      http://www.nls.uk/family-history/directories/post-office

Renfrewshire or Greenock? My geography is not good, ends at Lower Cmwtwrch - doesn't even run to Upper Cwmtwrch!

Not sure what might be covered

regards

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 07 November 11 14:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sturdy

Not sure if you have come across this newpaper notice:

Frederick Madgewick, shipmaster, to Mrs R
McFarlane, widow of Robert McFarlane,
shipmaster, at Greenock on 2nd September
1839 by Reverend Menzies (Greenock
Advertiser 3.9.1839)

Also,

Fairlie Connel, widow of Captain Madgwick
died at Mather House, Gourock on 19th March
1867. (Greenock Advertiser 23.3.1867)

See www.inverclyde.gov.uk/education-and-learning/libraries/local-and-family-history/family-history/intimations

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sturdy

• RootsChat Member
  • John PARK and Louisa Jane PARK (nee STOREY) 1889
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 08 November 11 10:15 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Monica for the additional information. I had previously come across the newspaper articles but I was unaware of the link to the Scottish Postal Directories. I apologise for not replying earlier but I think I have spent about 6 hours straight on the hunt going through the directories! Great link and thank you for the tip.

Regards

Sturdy
STOREY Family London (Spitialfields, Shoreditch, Lambeth, Wandsworth) & Ballarat Aust 

PARK family Glasgow

MILLS (MILES) Family Kirkmaiden - Wigtownshire, Glasgow & Geelong Vic and Moulamein NSW, Aust

MILLER family London (Bethnal Green, Mile End Old Town) & Auckland, NZ

AVON family Cobh, Queenstown, Cashel (HUSSEY Family), Ireland & Melbourne Australia -

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 08 November 11 11:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sturdy

The link provided by hanes teulu for the PO directories is great isn't  :)

Photos here for Gourock also www.francisfrith.com/gourock/photos/#utmcsr=google.co.uk&utmcmd=referral&utmccn=google.co.uk

Monica

Offline liharvey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 11 December 11 20:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sturdy,

I have just started researching the history of Mather House in Gourock and came across your post.  I actually live in Mather House and can therefore confirm the exact geographical location for you.  The address for Mather House is 36 Cove Road, Gourock, which used to be named New Terrace Road, Gourock.  I hope this helps in your search and that you find out more about your ancestors.

Lisa

Offline Sturdy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 13 December 11 05:22 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Lisa for your reply which was a great surprise. I was at the point where I thought I may not be able to pin-point the address for Mather House so your information is very much appreciated. To have a response from someone who lives in the house is a great bonus.

It seems like a few members of my family had a connection with Mather House between 1867 and 1871, Have you been able to establish what type of accommodation was being run from that address - respite care / lodging house etc.  Is it a large place or a house as described "Mather House"?

Again thank you Lisa for the reply and good luck with your research into Mather House. If I come across any further information I will be sure to pass it on.

Regards

Sturdy
STOREY Family London (Spitialfields, Shoreditch, Lambeth, Wandsworth) & Ballarat Aust 

PARK family Glasgow

MILLS (MILES) Family Kirkmaiden - Wigtownshire, Glasgow & Geelong Vic and Moulamein NSW, Aust

AVON family Cobh, Queenstown, Cashel (HUSSEY Family), Ireland & Melbourne Australia -

Offline liharvey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 13 December 11 12:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sturdy,

The ground on which Mather House was built was purchased in 1861 with the condition that the property be erected within one year, so dates from 1861-1862.  As far as I am led to believe, the property has always been residential and contained six flats.  The area of Gourock in which the property is situated is called Cardwell Bay, which used to be known as East Bay.  The building itself is not just 36 Cove Road as I stated but is 34, 35 and 36 Cove Road, with 34 and 35 being the two ground floor flats and 36 being the the upstairs 4 flats.  If you want to see what the property looks like, you can see a picture on the Inverclyde Council website in the Listed Buildings in Gourock section. http://www.inverclyde.gov.uk/planning-and-the-environment/planning/listed-buildings-conservation-areas-archaeology/building-listed

Kind regards,
Lisa

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 13 December 11 16:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lisa

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

Great link to the inverclyde site and the additional bonus for Sturdy (and us who got curious!) of photos of the property.

Monica

Offline Sturdy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 14 December 11 01:48 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Lisa,
                   I had a look at the website link you had attached and found the house in question. You are very lucky as it is a beautiful old house with what I imagine are stunning views of Cardwell Bay. Family history is great - until recently I had never heard of Gourock and now I find myself scouring the streets of Gourock via Google maps!

Most of my connection to Mather House has already been mentioned in previous posts but just to sum up a small event in this history of your "Mather House" was the death of my 4 x great-grandmother Fairlie MADGWICK (nee CONNEL formerly McFARLANE) which occurred at 4.30am on the 19th March, 1867. I have no idea where she was buried. The death certificate is hard to read but it appears she died of cancer after a 4 year struggle.  Fairlie was the widow of Master Mariner Frederick MADGWICK and prior to that had been married to another Master Mariner Robert McFARLANE. I am not sure what became of them but probably lost at sea as I can't find any trace of them at this time. No doubt if they were alive when Fairlie moved in to Mather House the old sea dogs would have enjoyed the view over the bay. Fairlie's grand-son John PARK, whose photo features with my Rootschat tag, was also a mariner and ended up in Australia around 1884 hence my posts from Australia.

Thanks again and all the best

Sturdy

PARK family Glasgow