Author Topic: Lord MacDonald Estate Isle of Skye  (Read 13710 times)

Offline kermat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lord MacDonald Estate Isle of Skye
« Reply #9 on: Friday 27 July 12 06:27 BST (UK) »
hi i too am descended from Donald & Mary martin. My grandfather Osric Martin was his great grand son. We too are from the Dubbo area originally. Would love to find out more info if you want to share..thanks

Offline kermat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 17 August 12 06:11 BST (UK) »
Hi all, am looking for any info/photos of Martin Family. Im descended from Donald & Mary (GGG Grandparents) and their son Peter Nicholson Martin. Unfortunately we have very little info on this side of the family :'(. Thanks in advance...

Offline stephen martin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 03 March 16 02:24 GMT (UK) »
Margaret Martin's surname is Martin I believe. She died on 9 Feb 1867 in Valtos. See Scotland's People website. Death cert available. Her fqther wqs Mqrtin Mqrtin qnd her mother was Mqrion Macleod.

Her husband reads Alexander Martin I believe.

The sister would then be Margaret Martin (nee MARTIN), aged 39, married to Angus Martin (41) from Kilmuir, unless she was travelling under her husband's surname. There were 4 children of Angus Martin oof Kilmuir: Margaret 19, Archibald 13, Angus 8, and George 7.

MATHESON        Ann             23    Conista  Kilmaluag      Lord MacDonald

P/N  £4-6-8
MATHESON        Marian          44    Glenhinnisdale    Lord MacDonald
   577                      Flora             24
                              Alexander       23
                              Catherine       20
                              Marian           17
                              Catherine       14
                             Margaret        10
                             Christy             5

Marian a widow.  Very poor family   P/N  £25-2-7
MATHESON        Kate            30    Stenscholl     Lord MacDonald
   578                     Angus           26    (Brother)

P/N   £10-0-0

MATHESON        Murdo           31    Glenhinnisdale  Lord MacDonald
    586                     Janet              21    (Wife)
No aid

Steve

Offline Echovalley

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 08 March 17 20:42 GMT (UK) »
I have family who came out to NZ after being tenants on the above estate.  On Skye there is the Museum of the Isles and they have information about many of the families. I found them very helpful with a general inquiry and later I paid for some specific searches which was well worth the money.
Scotland, ex Border; Brown, Helm, Oliver. Walker (Perth) Turner (Fife)
England, Tyler, Green (Sussex), Anderson, Pinegar, Tompkins, Hacking (Lan), Malpas (Kent)
Ireland, Casey (Askeaton)

Offline stephen martin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 30 June 17 01:13 BST (UK) »
"Mary Matheson's residence was given as Glenhinnisdal. I have a good map of the Island, so I can see where Mary came from and perhaps find her on the 1851 census, but Donald's residence "East Side" has got me!
On Donald's death certificate his father is listed as Alexander Martin and his mother Margaret but no maiden name."

Staffin (Scottish Gaelic: Stafain) is a district with the Gaelic name An Taobh Sear, which translates as 'the East Side', on the northeast coast of the Trotternish peninsula of the island of Skye. It is located on the A855 road about 17 miles (27 km) north of Portree and is overlooked by the Trotternish Ridge with the famous rock formations of The Storr and the Quirang. The district comprises 23 townships made up of, from south to north, Rigg, Tote, Lealt, Lonfearn, Grealin, Breackry, Cul-nan-cnoc, Bhaltos, Raiseburgh, Ellishader, Garafad, Clachan, Garros, Marrishader, Maligar, Stenscholl, Brogaig, Sartle, Glasphein, Digg, Dunan, Flodigarry and Greap.

In Stenscholl marriages I have seen Valtos East Side written too.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 30 June 17 02:47 BST (UK) »
I'm unsure if this will be of any help on the thread but...

The Gaelic Alphabet has only 18 letters rather than the English Alphabet of 26 letters.

There is no 'V' in Gaelic i.e. 'V' would be 'Bh'

Bhaltos (Gaelic) & Valtos (English) would be the same place.

This may help others?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Johnnie Murchison

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 26 September 17 23:28 BST (UK) »
East side refers to the parish of Stenscholl , later amalgamated with Kilmuir in Trotternish.

Offline stephen martin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 27 September 17 00:44 BST (UK) »
The Nicolson refers in every likelihood to the maiden name of the person's mother. Two other possibilities are the Minister who was the parish priest of the church where the child resided or a doctor. I'd only punt the first two though.

There is a lot of marriages between the Nicolsons and the Martins. I've read the Martins had some sort of affiliation with clan Nicolson. Didn't store it though.

There are Nicolsons of Scorrybreac (the clan leader) and others of Lonfearn. Probably numrerous other places in Trottenish.

Margaret Martin who died 9 February 1867 at Valtos Stenscholl named 2 of her first 4 children according to the Scottish naming tradition. That leaves Alexander's parents as either Murdoch or Martin MARTIN. There were numeros Martin Martins!

If you accept the Martin Martin who was married to Alexina McLeod and who emigrated to Prince Edward Island in July 1858 on the James Gibb ship - is one of Alexander and Margaret's children, then Alexander's father may have been Martin MARTIN.

As deaths were common (say 1/3 of children born) using the known living childrens names as a guide to parents' parents' names is not 100%. But if a child died it was fairly common to rename the next child after the deceased child.

Relying on the accuracy of ages in death certificates for birth dates is also fraught and likely to result in errors.

There are 2 common naming patterns for children used in Scotland in C19. Son 1 Father's father's name Second son mother's father's name. First daughter father's mother's name. Second daughter mother's mother's name. The order could be reversed and the mother's parents were given precedence. However, whichever was used then followed either pattern.

There are also naming patterns for subsequent children ...

If a child dies before (say census) records are kept or moves away it can be difficult to use the pattern.

This explains the inconsistency in apparent ages of some children between census.

Someone may be able to use this information to find Alexander's parents names.

If not, theres a lot of Martin genes floating around in Martins.

I have joined the Martin Y dna project recently and am awaiting my Y dna results to determine my ggg grandfathers parents. I did Y111, but in retrospect would have done Y37 for starters.

Anyone game to find out the Martin Y dna line (doesn't say anything about Margaret Martins lineage). To get any meaningful Y dna you must have an unbroken Martin MALE line. Doesn't work with females, or unbroken male lines.

If so, make sure the person tested is the most ancient connection in terms of generations, not the most recent generation as you need a certain number of centimorgans - DNA measurement of length - to accurately trace ancestors.

Steve Martin
Ainslie, Canberra
ex. Navarre, Victoria

Offline stephen martin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 22 March 18 06:46 GMT (UK) »
Donald Martin was living with/working for his uncle (his mother's brother) - John Martin - in 1841 and then with his mother in 1851 in Valtos from recollection.

See 1851 Stenscholl Quod Sacra parish 111/A 4/14 p14 of 21: Peggy Martin 65 Donald 26. Her age is considerably lower in the 1841 census (vanity?)

John Martin also lived in Maligar.

Margaret moved from Maligar to Valtos between 1842-1843. See MacDonald rental records (croft 5 in both places) available MacDonald Library, Armadale, Skye.

For any Martins interested to know their origins there are 4 Martins from Skye and the Hebridian islands in the Martin Y DNA project now. One hails from Skye via Prince Edward Island, one was in North Carolina and returned to Skye after the American War of Independence ( Captain John Martin 1726-1791 from Moore County); my ggg grandfather from Stenscholl; and others in group 68).

There are 4 different Martin families who are unrelated.

I have been told there is a 1510 Letter of Protection under (Scottish) Privy Council seal addressed personally to John Mac Gille Mhartainn of Stenscholl and 64 other tenants. This would pre-date Aonghas of the Winds/Storms who was around at earliest in 1565.