Author Topic: Peter Sabey of Roxton  (Read 25818 times)

Offline Lynn S

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Peter Sabey of Roxton
« on: Sunday 06 November 11 15:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Can anyone help with details of a marriage between Peter Sabey & a Dinah. They are baptising kids at Roxton in 1726 & 1735 when there are 2 sons named Peter. First one dies March 1726 & there's also a burial of a Peter in May 1773 but this is poss Peter snr.
Haven't found anymore children as yet so any info would be welcome.
Thanks Lynn

Offline patrish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Winter Wonderland
    • View Profile
Re: Peter Sabey of Roxton
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 November 11 17:08 GMT (UK) »
These were all christened in Roxton to Peter Sabey and Dinah, all extracted records, from the IGI  no marriage found. :(

Thomas ch. 11.4.1725
Peter ch. 24.8.1726... died 22.3.1727
Elizabeth ch.3.11.1727
Sarah ch. 9.11.1729
Jn ch.4.7.1731
Mary ch. 29.7.1733 ..... died 25.12.1734
Peter ch. 25.5.1735
this information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   London Hall, Thurston Stanley, Phillips, Ayrton, White, Morrish, Smith.    West Ham/Barking Saint,Briggs,   Essex  Barker,   Hampshire  Kill, Kent Spong,   U.S.A Earp, Scotland/Cumbria Templeton, Devon Morrish, Chudley

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 November 11 17:37 GMT (UK) »
DINAH Saby, Married, Spouse Peter died 1736, Roxton, Bedfordshire
(Source Familysearch.Org)
Peter may have remarried with all those young Children.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 November 11 19:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lynn

I've never really got into the Roxton branch, but I know that others have struggled with them.

Sabey burials in Roxton

22 Mar 1727   Peter
25 Dec 1734   Mary
4 Nov 1736    Dinah
23 Feb 1743  Civil
5 Sep 1750    Richard
21 Apr 1758   James
5 May 1765    Elizabeth
5 May 1765    Sarah
1 Nov 1772    Eleanor
16 May 1773   Peter (don't know if this is senior or junior)
27 Jan 1782   Joseph
8 May 1784    Elizabeth

Peter Sabey and Elizabeth baptised Mary in 1739 (extracted) followed by others, so this looks like the second marriage trish pondered about. But I can't find it.

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline Lynn S

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 07 November 11 18:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Patrish, Trish & David
Thanks all for input on the Roxton Sabeys will have to start studying the map to see what parishes are nearby for marriages.
David I sent you a pm asking you about the family name connections between this branch & my Bolnhurst branch, did you receive it?
Cheers Lynn

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 08 November 11 11:58 GMT (UK) »
Bear with me Lynn. Still working on it.

David

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 08 November 11 19:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lynn

Your question was did I think there's a connection between the Bolnhurst Sabeys, where Francis was baptised aged about 30 and married on the same day in 1790, and the Roxton family. You mentioned that Francis' first daughter was Dinah in 1791.

I'd always assumed that Francis was the unbaptised son of one of the two Sabey families in Bolnhurst c1760, who were both non-conformist:
- Joseph Sabey who married three Elizabeths, the first one being Elizabeth Hall whom he married in 1751, she dying in 1769. They only baptised one child, William in 1752.
- John Sabey who may have been the John Sabey who married Elizabeth Hull in Wilden in 1741 and who had children in Bolnhurst from 1742 onwards. Some  births of children of John Saby are recorded at the back of the parish register as being children of dissenters. In 1750 he is recorded as having eight people in the family, but this could have included servants. John left a will dated 1777 wherein he names children William, Sarah and James. No mention of a Francis, so I don't think they were the parents of Francis.

I had therefore thought that Francis was probably the son of Joseph and Elizabeth (Hall) Sabey of Bolnhurst.

The Roxton branch seems to have started with the arrival of Peter c1725. There's no marriage of Peter Sabey/Dinah in Hunts, unless it's under a Sabey variation that I haven't thought of. The Roxton Sabeys appear to have been of the established church, unlike the dissenter Bolnhurst branch. As Dinah died in 1736 she can't have been Francis' mother

The earliest burials in Hunts that show on the NBI were in 1727 in Gt Staughton, 3 miles from Bolnhurst and 6 from Roxton. I think it's likely that the Hunts families are connected to the Bolnhurst/Colmworth family, the connection probably occurring in the early 1700s

A while ago I looked at another Francis Sabey baptised at Eaton Socon, Beds, just a couple of miles along the A421, as it was known then, from Roxton. He was the son of Edward & Mary. I've drawn a blank with Edward too, who I assume to have been born c1756, but I can't find a burial for him.

But I really haven't seen anything that jumps out at me and makes me think that Francis was from Hunts. But worth looking at nonetheless, particularly as IGI/BVRI entries for Hunts are pretty sparse

David

OK, you win, you've got me interested in the Sabeys again! I'll see what else I can find about the Hunts branch

Offline Lynn S

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 08 November 11 21:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi David
Have found a Peter Sabey who marries a Frances Abraham in Gt. Stukeley 28/1/1766. There's a burial for Peter Sabey in 1782 & Frances in 1781 at Gt. Stukeley.  Baptism in 1768 for Peter Sabey son of Peter & Frances & burial in 1840 with birth year given as 1768. Also seen on the IGI a marriage of a Peter Sabey to a Frances Helen ? (no maiden name given). This couple went on to have Peter Sabey c. 17/3/1805 at Gt. Stukeley. I never know what info on the IGI to trust.
The Peter & Frances Abraham couple are the most likely ages to have been connected to my Francis but don't know how it could be proved.
Interestingly my Dinah Sabey married James Page & their daughter Sarah Page married Thomas Abrahams who came from Kimbolton.
Will keep digging .
Cheers Lynn

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 09 November 11 08:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lynn

Have found a Peter Sabey who marries a Frances Abraham in Gt. Stukeley 28/1/1766.

He was a widower. His first marriage was probably to Mary Hammett on 10 Jun 1759 at Gt Stukeley, both otp. There's a burial of a Mary Sabey at Gt Stukeley on 11 Nov 1764.

Also seen on the IGI a marriage of a Peter Sabey to a Frances Helen ? (no maiden name given). This couple went on to have Peter Sabey c. 17/3/1805 at Gt. Stukeley. I never know what info on the IGI to trust.

I can't see this marriage on the IGI. However Hunts marriage Index has a marriage between Peter Sabey of Leighton and Frances Harden at Grafham in 1791. The 1805 baptism of Peter was at Lt Stukeley, not Gt.

A good rule of thumb is that extracted entries on the IGI are reliable, member submissions aren't.

The Peter & Frances Abraham couple are the most likely ages to have been connected to my Francis but don't know how it could be proved.

I must stick my head above the parapet and say I don't think Francis was the son of Peter and Frances. Francis was baptised in 1790 age about 30 (although his age on burial in 1833 was 67, but burial ages aren't very reliable). Peter and Frances married in 1766 and then had two children in 1768 and 1770, although there's enough time to slip in another between Jan 1766 when they married, particularly if she was pregnant on marriage, and Sept 1768 when Peter was baptised. But I can't see any baptisms to Peter and Mary, where the timescale would fit better with age 30 in 1790. The Roxton and Gt Stukeley families don't seem to have been dissenters, unlike the Bolnhurst branch, and appear to have baptised their children in the established church. Why miss Francis?

Sorry, but I'll stick with my hypothesis that Francis was an unbaptised child (because his parents were non-conformists) born in Bolnhurst, who after marriage continued to be non-conformist. I'll never be able to prove it though. For me it sits better than an unbaptised child in Gt Stukeley, but whose siblings were baptised in the established church, who subsequently moved 18 miles to Bolnhurst where he took up non-conformity

Job for the day - trying to piece together the Hunts families!

David