Author Topic: Brecknockshire Battalion S.Wales Borderers T.F  (Read 6303 times)

Offline Tim Brecknock

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Brecknockshire Battalion S.Wales Borderers T.F
« on: Sunday 06 November 11 15:57 GMT (UK) »
As well as my family research I have an interest in the Brecknockshire territorials 1859-1922. If you want me to have a look in my archive please get in touch.
surname Barrell and David, and researching 1st Vol Batt S.Wales Bord and Brecknockshire Battalion (TF) South Wales Borderers 1859-1922

Offline Raggis50

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Brecknockshire Battalion S.Wales Borderers T.F
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 24 October 13 19:05 BST (UK) »
Hi,
it would appear that I had a Great Uncle, plus my Grandfather in the Talgarth (F) company of the 1st Brecknockshire Batt. The imformation I have is very scant at the moment, but it would appear that my Grandfather may have gone to Aden/India with them, not sure about my G/Uncle, as he enlisted in 1908, but then turns up on the WW1 medal listings as having served in the Tank Corps
Any info you have, I would be gratful for
Thanks in advance
Regards
Rob

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 October 13 00:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Rob - Welcome to Rootschat ;D

Tim doesn't appear to have been around here for a while so may not see your message.

It might be worth starting a new topic on the main Armed Forces board for pre WW1 ..or on the Armed Forces WW1 board if  you are interested in WW1 service info. More people will see it and may come back with all sorts of interesting info...

Also -  It might help people to help you if also put in the post anything you already know and what you are interesting in finding out.

Milly

McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tim Brecknock

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 October 13 18:29 GMT (UK) »
Send me their details and I'll see if I have any info on them.
surname Barrell and David, and researching 1st Vol Batt S.Wales Bord and Brecknockshire Battalion (TF) South Wales Borderers 1859-1922

Offline Raggis50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 28 October 13 19:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi, details as follows;

My Great Uncle - Jelf Blackwell Davies, born 1892 in Talgarth,plus lived there. Regimental Number 5240. He joined in 1908, served until July 1912, when he was discharged as he joined the Police, I have his enlistment cert plus his medals index, which show him in the Tank Corps (possibly he rejoined?), but these are too large to add as attachment to this post

My Grandfather - Glanfrwyd Ivor Davies (sometimes his first name is mi-spelt), born 1896, also in Talgarth, plus lived there.
I am unsure about him as the evidence is very scant, all I have is a photograph of a group of soldiers, taken in Talgarth, just before WW1, where I believe one of them is him, based on the family resemblance.
Plus I also have a postcard, written by him, that shows a photograph of the Brecknockshire Battalion marching through Gibraltar, where he says they are having a 'grand time and are off in a few days' (possibly on the way to Aden/India?)
I cannnot find any record of him when searching, but possibly it has been lost, or maybe he only used his middle name when enlisting, which makes it more difficult, as there are lots of examples of Ivor Davies

Considering they lived in Talgarth, I have made a educated guess they possibly enlisted in F company, which was based there.

Any info you have I would be grateful for
Thanks
Regards
Rob

Offline Tim Brecknock

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 30 October 13 20:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi there was a Glanfrwd Ivor DAVIES  N0: 1552 later No:200204 who served in the Battalion who was awarded the trio of Great War medals, and also the Territorial Efficency (Long service) medal in 1920.
I will see if I have any more info.

Offline Raggis50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 31 October 13 06:01 GMT (UK) »
Have sent PM
Rob