Author Topic: SEBBURN/SELLWOOD  (Read 9353 times)

Offline Vicwinann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
SEBBURN/SELLWOOD
« on: Monday 07 November 11 08:07 GMT (UK) »
Hello
From FreeBMD registrations I have traced a 20th century member of my family from Oxfordshire to the Bridgend Reg Dist.
Doris Sellwood  1923 married William Sebburn in 1941 in Oxfordshire and they had a child in 1952 in Bridgend Reg Dist. Obviously because people may be still alive I cannot publish other details.
However, I am trying to find more about William F. Sebburn 1918. If anyone has information about his family, or is related in any way, I would love to hear from you.
Yours
Vicwinann
Sellwood Berkshire Oxon Lancs Wilts; Cassell Berkshire and Guildford; Leighs Guildford and London; Saunders Portsea, Greenwich and Deptford ; Austin Cookham; Osgood Berkshire; Dack Norfolk; Darling Berkshire and Mapledurham; Wilkins Englefield Berks; Havenhand Derbys; Whileman Derbys; Reedman Derbys, Notts, Australia, Africa; Rottenberry Deptford and Devon;

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: SEBBURN/SELLWOOD
« Reply #1 on: Monday 07 November 11 11:49 GMT (UK) »
(as far as I know) I am not related in any way - but is this of interest?

Death reg
William Frederick Sebburn
born 4 Nov 1918
death reg Sept 1999
age 80
Bridgend
108A
861 1A

and birth reg (transcribed "Sebborn")

William F Sebborn
mother's maiden name "Sebborn"
Dec qtr 1918
Bridgend
11a 1879

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 November 11 12:04 GMT (UK) »
There was another William F Sebburn born c. 1897 Bridgend reg dist
wondered if he might be "your" William's uncle
he was killed in WW1

William F Sebburn
Llangeinor Glam
14 Feb 1916
Nantymoel Glam
enlisted Bridgend
Killed in action France and Flanders

there is also a phone book entry
1984 Glamorgan Page 468
William F Sebburn
address 3 Heol ganel Nantymoel Ognore

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England

Offline Vicwinann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 07 November 11 14:43 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for that, Suzard.

I will investigate further. It certainly looks as if this is the right connection.  The birth registration I had collected from FreeBMD. Because of the possible sensitivity of "mother Sebburn" I was a bit wary of mentioning it. The death registration, though, certainly seems to confirm this is the same person.

William and Doris only appear to have had one child but that may be because FreeBMD have yet to transcribe others.
Thank you again.
Yours
Vicwinann
Sellwood Berkshire Oxon Lancs Wilts; Cassell Berkshire and Guildford; Leighs Guildford and London; Saunders Portsea, Greenwich and Deptford ; Austin Cookham; Osgood Berkshire; Dack Norfolk; Darling Berkshire and Mapledurham; Wilkins Englefield Berks; Havenhand Derbys; Whileman Derbys; Reedman Derbys, Notts, Australia, Africa; Rottenberry Deptford and Devon;

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 07 November 11 21:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
There is a Martha Margaret Sebburn - daughter of Thomas G Sebburn and Elizabeth -who may be a candidate for "your" william frederick's mother

BMD's seem to be in the name Sebburn - but on some census the name seems to be written as Seabourne?????

Suz

Offline Vicwinann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 07 November 11 21:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Suz,
I didn't expect it to be easy. Misheard, miswritten, and mistransciptions are the bane of my life.Thanks for that. I think my next step is to order the birth cert of William F Sebburn and see where it takes me. Without that or a baptism I will be whistling in the wind as far as his mother is concerned.  Martha seems a likely candidate.
Yoursd
Vic

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 07 November 11 21:58 GMT (UK) »
Please come back and let us know what the certificate says

Purchasing the certificate is the way to be certain who the mother is
(by the was Marth Margaret was b Pembroke
Suz

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 07 November 11 22:15 GMT (UK) »
If the mother is Martha Margaret -here are a few details which may help

Birth reg FreeBMD
Martha Margaret Sebburn
Aept qtr 1891
Pembroke
11a 1089

Marriage
Martha Margaret Sebbourn
Gilbert J Beckey
Mar qtr 1919
Bridgend
11a 1274

They (possibly had childre b bridgend dist
Daughter 1920, daughter 1924-died 1924 -unnamed, daughter 1931, son 1932 -poss died 2005

Deathh reg
Martha M Beckey
Mar qtr 1949
age 56
bridgend
8b 51

Death reg
Gilbert James Beeckey
Mar qtr 1966
age 77
bridgend
8b 30

Suz

Offline Vicwinann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 08 November 11 13:40 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Siz,
Being cheeky, is there any death ref that you can find for Doris Sebburn born 1923. It is obviously not yet on FreeBMD.

Yours
Vic