Author Topic: Apprentices and masters 1700 to 1810 - No longer available  (Read 12564 times)

Offline Framesmiths1816

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Heathcote's Tiverton Mill 1836
    • View Profile
Apprentices and masters 1700 to 1810 - No longer available
« on: Monday 07 November 11 15:43 GMT (UK) »
I am probably telling many of you something you already know but I recently came across a database that holds details on the taxes paid by masters on the fees received from their apprentices from 1700 to 1810. I think it covers the whole country and certainly has many Leicestershire ones in it. I was able to find quite a few members of my family with additional information such as "where from", "son of" and sometimes "deceased" for father's status.

I can do some lookups if anyone is interested.

FS
Warner, Owen, Putt, Mynett, Wickwar, Norman, Wheeler, Gray, Cooke, Dewick, Holmes, Lawson, Granger, Queenan, Weston, Wesson, Brewin, Cartwright, Heathcote, Heathcoat, Felkin, Morley, Hallam, Wootton, Adkin, Shepshed, Loughborough, Leicester, Philadelphia, Ontario, Nottingham,

Offline chfl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Apprentices and masters 1700 to 1810
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 November 11 07:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I have a brief note from these records of Joseph Tomlinson 19 Aug 1780, am interested in his master Samuel Gilbert so anymore info on this record at all  ?
Also any records of Fletchers,  in Worthington, Breedon areas of Leicestershire?

Chris
Fletcher, Wright, King, Bull, Bray,Mee, Quenby, Waldram  Leicestershire
Butler, Lewin, Thurman, Voce  Nottinghamshire
Jackson, Dunnicliff, Cook,White Derbyshire

Offline HeatherLynne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 November 11 08:00 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the offer FS  :)  Can you find any 'Rassell's at all please?  I have Journeymen Butchers and Bakers of that name in the family.  Also many plasterers named Edden if you could check that please. 

Heather
Rassell - South Hayling/Portsea/Chelsea,  Hellyer - Totnes/Islington,  Roots - Hackney,  Edden - St Pancras

Offline Framesmiths1816

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 09 November 11 10:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I have a brief note from these records of Joseph Tomlinson 19 Aug 1780, am interested in his master Samuel Gilbert so anymore info on this record at all  ?
Also any records of Fletchers,  in Worthington, Breedon areas of Leicestershire?

Chris

Hi Chris,
There is a also these
Feb 10th 1761 Sam.l Gilbert of Osgathorp Leic.r Cordwainer - Sam.l Massey 29th Dec. 1760
Jan 14th 1755 Sam. Gilbert of Osgathorp Leicester Cordw.r - Mathias Hope 13th Jan 1755

I can't find any Fletchers in the Worthington/Breedon on the Hill areas. I have looked for a good few villages close by. The closest is this one

9th June 1712 Jos. Fletcher of Ashby Delazouche in Cou'y Leice~shire Do - Tho. son of Tho. Smith late of Hapenhill in Cou.y Derby yeo.n

Do = ditto and looks to be Framework Knitter

Hope this is useful to you

FS
Warner, Owen, Putt, Mynett, Wickwar, Norman, Wheeler, Gray, Cooke, Dewick, Holmes, Lawson, Granger, Queenan, Weston, Wesson, Brewin, Cartwright, Heathcote, Heathcoat, Felkin, Morley, Hallam, Wootton, Adkin, Shepshed, Loughborough, Leicester, Philadelphia, Ontario, Nottingham,

Offline Framesmiths1816

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 09 November 11 11:29 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the offer FS  :)  Can you find any 'Rassell's at all please?  I have Journeymen Butchers and Bakers of that name in the family.  Also many plasterers named Edden if you could check that please. 

Heather

Hi Heather,

I am sorry to say there are no Rassell's I can find for Leicestershire. There are some Rossell's and some other name variations like Rushall and Russell and none of these are Butchers or Bakers. The only Rassell's I can find are in Surrey, Hampshire and Kent and they are related to woodcraft, Carpteners, Joiners, Shipwrights.

Sorry I cannot be more helpful.

FS

Offline Framesmiths1816

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 09 November 11 11:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Heather,

No Edden's or close variants in Leicestershire that I can see. I am not sure if Plastering trade is not in this DB. I have also been looking for my own family who where plasterers from Staffordshire moving to Leicester and I can find any plasterers in the database. Is there a special name for this trade that I might not be aware of?

FS

Offline HeatherLynne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 09 November 11 13:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi FS

Thanks for your replies  :)  I'd be interested in the Rassell records from Hampshire please.  Some of the family lived in Portsea, Fawley, South Hayling over the years so any information might be connected.

As for Plasterers, they were also called Plaisterers - see this link:

http://www.plaistererslivery.co.uk/

and I'd like to think that mine were craftsmen making beautiful plaster decorations rather than just slapping on a flat skim coat!  (however there's no reason to think they were doing the fancy stuff :( )

You might find this interesting too:  http://www.buildingconservation.com/articles/plaster/lime-plaster.htm

The furthest back I've traced my plasterers so far is around 1850 in Marylebone/St Pancras London and the trade was passed down the generations.

Heather
Rassell - South Hayling/Portsea/Chelsea,  Hellyer - Totnes/Islington,  Roots - Hackney,  Edden - St Pancras

Offline Framesmiths1816

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 09 November 11 13:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Heather

I will have another look for the Rassells. Thanks for the additional information. Please note the info is 1700 to 1811 so your 1850's people will not be in it.

My own family's Plasterers learnt their trade working in the Staffordshire Potteries where they made plaster moulds for raised decoration, the same process for making fancy plaster decoration for ceilings and walls. This was around 1800. I mention this because it might be a connection you hadn't thought of yet.

FS

Offline HeatherLynne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 09 November 11 14:03 GMT (UK) »
Thank you FS.  The earliest Rassells I have are in Hampshire around 1750 so that might fit.  (If the database is searchable online then by all means send me a link and I'll do it myself  :) ).

That's interesting about your plasterers and something I'd not thought of.  Did your plasterers live to old age?  Mine seem to have made it to late 70s/early 80s in most cases - I was surprised as I thought the dusty nature of their work might have lead to lung disease and an early demise but it seems not.

Heather