Author Topic: Bogend Farm near Duns, Berwickshire  (Read 9174 times)

Offline colinskene

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bogend Farm near Duns, Berwickshire
« on: Monday 07 November 11 20:27 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for contact from anyone who is / was connected with Bogend farm or Cairns Mill, near Duns in Berwickshire. My family names connected with this place are Skene, Virtue, Spark, Nelson, Dickson, Graham, MacDonald and Brown.

I have hundreds of photos with unidentified family members and I would love to put names to faces or hear any stories about Bogend or the surrounding area
Skene, Skeen, Virtue, Spark, Nelson, Dickson, Berwickshire, Bogend, Cairns Mill, Duns, Preston

Offline Stelvio

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Bogend Farm near Duns, Berwickshire
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 May 12 20:59 BST (UK) »
My great grandfather William Fletcher Mitchell was born at Bogend farm in 1857. He grew up in the servants house but on the 1881 census he is working as a carter at Cairns mill. In 1885 he married Margaret Scott and moved to Jarrow on Tyne and worked in the ship yards until he died in 1916 aged 59.
His parents James and Euphemia Mitchell (nee Smith) came to Bogend some time between 1851 and 1861 where James worked as a shepherd until he died in 1898 aged 76.
I know it's a long shot but it would be great to see a photo of my great grandfather as we don't have any.
Mitchell, Scott, Strong, Glass, Seurre (Sourre), Dowson, Bannister, Hillery, Breeds.

Offline aitchscot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 May 12 14:20 BST (UK) »

Mt G G Grandmother Jane Renton nee Fair widow of William Renton
died at Bogend in March 1890.

Most of her relatives were living nearby.

Son in law Robert Jenkinson was a farm labourer with wife Hellen Renton at Fogo House in 1881.

Grandson Thomas Jenkinson was Farm Grieve at Sisterpath Fogo in 1911.

Grandaughter Isabella Jenkinson & Husband Thomas Newton were also at Sisterpath in 1911.

They all seemed to be in the Fogo area over a 20 year period.

My late Grandfather R J Aitchison visited relatives at Bogend throughout the 1920's & 30's. However we don't really know who they were?

Aitch

Aitchison, Greenlaw, Renton, Jenkinson
Berwickshire/ East Lothian areas.

Offline colinskene

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 22 July 12 08:54 BST (UK) »
Skene, Skeen, Virtue, Spark, Nelson, Dickson, Berwickshire, Bogend, Cairns Mill, Duns, Preston

Offline LoisK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 08 March 18 14:14 GMT (UK) »
Hello Colin,
My great-great-grandfather William JEFFREY was born at Bogend Farm on 14 Nov 1825.  His parents were William JEFFREY (a farmer) (also spelt Jaffray) and Barbara JARDINE.  He married Alice DICKSON, daughter of George DICKSON of Kilham, Northumberland, in Coldstream in 1851.  The Jeffrey and Dickson families emigrated to Victoria, Australia in 1858.

If anyone has ever contacted you about these family names in any of your forums, I'd love to hear from you. 

Many thanks,
Lois

Offline squirejay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 07 April 18 12:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Colin, we have been in contact before, several years ago.
With regards to the last message I have Agnes Jeffery, born 1786 at Polworth who married a Peter Virtue around 1805 ish, and had 7 children between 1810 and 1828, and I beleive you may be decended through that line

regards
JB
GIBSON- Berwickshire(Coldingham, Edrom) & Northumberland(Berwick-upon-Tweed & Morpeth)
NAPIER in Edinburgh from 1700
ROBSON- Roxburgh(Kelso, Hawick & Jedburgh):~
DODS or DODDS Hawick, Kelso)
ELDERS (Hawick/Borders)
HOPPER- (Greenlaw and area)
KENNEDY- (Roxburghshire, Lillesleaf)
BLACK (Lanarkshire before 1861, Edinburgh after 1861 census )

Offline USCRx

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 14 May 18 06:41 BST (UK) »
I have a Katherine Steele of Bogend marrying an Andrew Jeffrey, Smith in Rayslaw, 20 June 1760.
I'm actually a few miles away from Bogend currently, and could take a few photos if anyone's interested. But will only be here today.

Offline colinskene

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 03 June 18 10:40 BST (UK) »

Mt G G Grandmother Jane Renton nee Fair widow of William Renton
died at Bogend in March 1890.

Most of her relatives were living nearby.

Son in law Robert Jenkinson was a farm labourer with wife Hellen Renton at Fogo House in 1881.

Grandson Thomas Jenkinson was Farm Grieve at Sisterpath Fogo in 1911.

Grandaughter Isabella Jenkinson & Husband Thomas Newton were also at Sisterpath in 1911.

They all seemed to be in the Fogo area over a 20 year period.

My late Grandfather R J Aitchison visited relatives at Bogend throughout the 1920's & 30's. However we don't really know who they were?

Aitch

Hi Aitch. Check out this photo of a meeting in Berwickshire

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Eit5YAyKFHmYXpnu2

The lady, second from right on front row is Mrs Aitchison from Bogend, Duns. She was Eck, the "herd's" wife. Maybe related to you perhaps

Offline Lukefinalex

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 16 August 19 10:05 BST (UK) »
Hello Colin,
My great-great-grandfather William JEFFREY was born at Bogend Farm on 14 Nov 1825.  His parents were William JEFFREY (a farmer) (also spelt Jaffray) and Barbara JARDINE.  He married Alice DICKSON, daughter of George DICKSON of Kilham, Northumberland, in Coldstream in 1851.  The Jeffrey and Dickson families emigrated to Victoria, Australia in 1858.

If anyone has ever contacted you about these family names in any of your forums, I'd love to hear from you. 

Many thanks,
Lois

Hi Lois

William Jeffrey is my GGG grandfather as well!

Be grateful to hear from you with what info you have, I can fill in quite a few gaps moving forward from 1825 regarding William and all the William's that follow!