Author Topic: Butler, William b may 9, 1818 Endland  (Read 4063 times)

Offline AnnMBO

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Butler, William b may 9, 1818 Endland
« on: Tuesday 08 November 11 00:22 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for older or new connections.  This is the information I have gathered from family members or online (someone did a complete family tree from William forward...thank you).  I have posted below William and his children and I would like to try to find his siblings, parents etc.  Although he was born in England, rumour has it we are connected to the Ireland Butler's also.  We are told that records were distroyed in a fire, thus "William" was as far as we could trace.  I am told he came to to North america with 2 bothers...one went to NL and the other to the North Shore (where ever that may be)...so here goes.

My famiy has collected the following, my direct line is his son Charles William Butler:
WILLIAM' BUTLER was born May 09, 1818 in England, and died February 17, 1905 in Murphy Cove, Nova Scotia. He married MARY ANN STOKES Abt. 1851 in Ship Harbour, Nova Scotia.
Notes for WILLIAM BUTLER: William Butler of Pleasant Harbour who died Feb 16th, was this day interred in St. Peter's Churchyard. Aged 86 years, 9 months. Rev A. H. Jyers, Rector of Ship Harbour. Feb 20, 1905
Notes for MARY ANN STOKES:
Butler, of West Pleasant Harbour died on July 14 1904 and was buried by me in the new Pleasant Harbour Church yard on Saturday, 16th July aged 73 years.
Children of WILLIAM BUTLER and MARY STOKES are:
ELLEN L.2 BUTLER, b. April 23, 1852, Pleasant Harbour, Nova Scotia; d. October 02, 1928, Traverse City, Michigan.
JEMIMA BUTLER, b. February 25, 1854, Ship Harbour, Nova Scotia; d. June 08, 1924, Halifax, NS.
MARY ANN BUTLER, b. November 16,1856, Murphy Cove, Nova Scotia; d. January 24, 1940, Murphy Cove, Nova Scotia.
ELIZA ADELAIDE BUTLER, b. September 02,1858, Ship Harbour, Nova Scotia.
EDWARD WALTER BUTLER, b. July 14, 1862, Shoal Bay, Nova Scotia3; d. May 11,1889.
Notes for EDWARD WALTER BUTLER: Edward Walter Butler of Pleasant Harbour was this day interred in Holy Trinity Church cemetery, Tangier. Aged 26 years.   May 11, 1889 Edward Ball, Rector
SUSAN MARIE BUTLER, b. June 21, 1863, Murphy Cove, Nova Scotia; d. September 10, 1940, Murphy Cove, Nova Scotia.
CHARLES WILLIAM BUTLER, b. September 29, 1864, Shoal Bay, Nova Scotia; d. March 09, 1934.
LETTIE CELESTIA BUTLER, b. October 22, 1868, Murphy Cove, Nova Scotia; d. January 30, 1958, Murphy Cove, Nova Scotia.
JAMES ALLEN BUTLER, b. October 26, 1869; d. June 07, 1929, VG Hospital, Halifax, NS.
GEORGE FOSTER BUTLER, b. October 04, 1875, Murphy Cove, Nova Scotia; d. December 16, 1949, Halifax, NS.
REUBEN JOHN BUTLER, b. April 27, 1876; d. September 21, 1944, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia.

Information I have found online thus far:

(DS6) William Butler b.1818 - from the Butler's Society website
William Butler, born 9/5/1818 "within the sound of Bow Bells"(this the traditional definition of a Cockney, [who live in the East End of London]), departed England 1845 and arrived Nova Scotia c.1849. He married a British girl, Mary Ann Stokes, born 27/12/1831 who is said to have been raised on Jamaica. Information sought on ancestors of both.

This is from Geneology.com from 1999 - One family story indicates my great-grandfather William Butler b. 1818 in England left the UK with a brother and settled in New York for a short time. It is said they had a falling out and while my GGFather came to NS his brother went to Newfoundland. Have never been able to determine the validity of this account.

Any help from William onward or even the newer generations such as myself.  ;D

Offline droops

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Butler, William b may 9, 1818 Endland
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 November 11 02:37 GMT (UK) »
There is a William Butler who was baptised at Spitalfields Christ Church with St Mary and St Stephen, on 8 Nov 1818. His parents were Edward and Mary of Montague St, he was a weaver.

There is a William Valentine Butler who was baptised at Westminster St Mary Le Strand on 31 March 1820. His parents were Charles and Margaret of 82 Drury Lane, he was a printer.

I cant say whether either of these are within the sound of Bow bells, but as you have their streets you should be able to see if either of these are possibles.

There are also 2 William Butlers that were baptised before 1818.

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 November 11 04:56 GMT (UK) »
Is this your family?
1871 Canada Census.
Popes Harbour Halifax East Nova Scotia
William Butler 48 Miner born England
Mary 37
Ellen 18
Jemima 16
Mary 14
Adelaide 12
Susan 10
Walter 8
William 5
James 4
Leticia 2

William snr giving an age which makes him born circa 1823. Did he do this because his wife was much younger? Also the enumerator has William snr and Mary snr as being born in NS. Enumerators mistake?

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 November 11 05:05 GMT (UK) »
1891 Tangiers Bay Halifax Nova Scotia
William Butler 73 born England Fisherman both parents born England
Mary Ann wife 58 born NS both parents born NS
James 25 Miner
Lettie 22 domestic
George 19 Fisherman
Ruben 16 Fisherman.

So William now born 1818 in England.

Offline amazon510

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 18 November 11 16:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Re William's brothers: the "North Shore" might refer to the Quebec Lower North Shore which is basically the coast of Quebec between Blanc-Sablon and Kegaska.  The upper part is just across the strait from Newfoundland and there was some migration back and forth.  Rootsweb has a fairly comprehensive site on the region, including census and parish records.  http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~qclns/

If you have access to Anc**try, you can also checkthe Drouin collection, which is a comprehensive collection of Quebec vital statistics.

Jennifer.

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 26 November 11 23:59 GMT (UK) »
You would need to verify the source of the information regarding his birthdate, and having been born "within the sound of the Bow Bells".
I would start with what you know for sure, and only use the other info as a starting point for your searching.

Darren
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 27 November 11 00:01 GMT (UK) »
I am unfamiliar with Canadian records; would William and Mary Ann's marriage record not show parents, or at least fathers?

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline amazon510

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 27 November 11 00:11 GMT (UK) »
Possibly not - it would depend on the province.

J.

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 27 November 11 00:38 GMT (UK) »
It's the same here in Australia. Victoria, and to a lesser extent NSW, are a genealogist's dream when it comes to the detail on their records. Unfortunately, SA is the opposite.  :(

Darren