Author Topic: Butler, William b may 9, 1818 Endland  (Read 4062 times)

Offline amazon510

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Butler, William b may 9, 1818 Endland
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 27 November 11 01:38 GMT (UK) »
I'm mainly researching in Newfoundland - same problem.  It would be so much easier if the marriage records had parent's names.  I've poked around in the Nova Scotia records a little, I think they sometimes (always?) include parent's names, so you might be lucky.

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 27 November 11 01:47 GMT (UK) »
What about newspaper obtuaries? Sometimes they offer information, such as birthplace if from overseas.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline AnnMBO

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 26 December 11 18:01 GMT (UK) »
Thanks all for the comments.  I have not had much time to search or check for messages on here over the last little bit.  Busy holiday season.  I will take your advise and see if I can find anything there.  The source on the family history is a relative that has spent a fair amount of time and money doing this research.  Is it 100% accurate....not sure, but I would bet it is pretty close. I too have found other William Butlers with birthdates not exact, but other information did not line up with them.  IE his children, wife...there was always something off.

Thanks so much...keep em coming!!

Offline ButlerRick

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 08 January 18 20:40 GMT (UK) »
I am the Butler descendant who has done most of the research you have accumulated from posts in several locations on the Internet.  Born in; and having lived in; Nova Scotia all my life I have spent many hours at the Nova Scotia Public Archives over the past 23 years gleaning what I could from the records.  William Butler and Mary Ann Stokes remain a "brick wall" to date (2018).  Several new details have been discovered about their descendants but no hint of their origins other than "England".  One of their grandchildren states that her mother's father (William) was born in Colchester, England; but, I have not been able to verify that.

Richard L Butler
Nova Scotia