Author Topic: Salt Boiler Michael BYRNE  (Read 3968 times)

Online haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Salt Boiler Michael BYRNE
« on: Tuesday 08 November 11 07:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone
     Further to my Michael BYRNE research, it seems from records I have looked at today (NSW Archives Office Sydney) my Michael BYRNE (BURNE also) is putting in an application to the Governor to lease the salt-pan, in Sydney Harbour.

Michael states "I humbly beg leave to submit to your excellency that having been bred to the manufactory of that article from my infancy and the thorough knowledge I have of the process qualifying me for such an undertaking etc.

Michael arrived Sydney a convict on the "Minerva" in 1800 aged about 25 a native of Kildare (said Cotton Manufacturer on indent). 

My question is can I find out any more about Michael being involved in this industry in Ireland, would his father possibly been a salt boiler also, was there an apprenticeship process.  Anything I could find out would add another dimension to Michaels life.  Any help much appreciated Kind regards Dianna

Online Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Salt Boiler Michael BYRNE
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 November 11 17:02 GMT (UK) »
Kildare and Salt don't seem to go together. If you do a search for Salt Boiler in the 1901 Census there are a quite a few including miners in County Antrim. It might be worth asking on the Antrim board if anyone knows about an apprenticeship process etc.
I can't find anything else just at the moment but will keep looking.

Online haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 November 11 21:11 GMT (UK) »
HI Sinann thanks for your reply, yes I was thinking about the location Kildare, he may have been working somewhere else obviously it would have to be close to the ocean or sea wouldn't it.  Thanks anyway I thought it would be a bit tricky.  If I can find some general information on the Industry in Ireland that will do I guess.  many thanks Dianna

Online Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 November 11 21:32 GMT (UK) »
http://oracleireland.com/salt/index.php
Antrim seems to be the only place with a salt mine.

Online haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 November 11 21:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sinann I will have a look, I need to find the difference between a salt mine and extracting the salt out of the sea as Michael was doing here in Sydney.  Thanks for that, maybe he was doing this in England who knows dianna

Offline sams mam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 29 October 17 20:35 GMT (UK) »
Hello Haney,
I've just seen your post and the mention of Kildare and Salt in the same sentence. Now I'm just throwing this into the conversation as an interesting fact but on a really old map of Leixlip, Co Kildare you will find an area referred to as Salt North. I can't give you any further information about Salt North,and it might have no meaning whatsoever to your query, however I just thought I'd mention it as an interesting fact.
Sams Mam
Heffernan - Fermoy,Co Cork.
Curtin -Tallow, Co Waterford.
Crowley, Castletownbere, Co Cork
Forbes-Birnie, Peterhead, Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Lyall, Sanday Island Orkney.

Online Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 01 November 17 02:13 GMT (UK) »
Hello Haney,
I've just seen your post and the mention of Kildare and Salt in the same sentence. Now I'm just throwing this into the conversation as an interesting fact but on a really old map of Leixlip, Co Kildare you will find an area referred to as Salt North. I can't give you any further information about Salt North,and it might have no meaning whatsoever to your query, however I just thought I'd mention it as an interesting fact.
Sams Mam

Interesting.
It's marked on google maps as well on Mill Lane.
Looking into it a bit more North Salt is the Barony Leixlip is in, you might like a read of this
https://www.johngrenham.com/records/lewis.php?civilparishid=1260&civilparish=Leixlip&county=Kildare&search_type=full
And if you look at the map you'll see there is also a South Salt around Kill.
https://www.johngrenham.com/images/lewismaps/Kildare.pdf

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 01 November 17 14:39 GMT (UK) »
The Kildare place name of Salt derives its name from the Latin for Leixlip - Saltus salmonis
This translates as "salmon leap".

The English name Leixlip is derived from Old Norse Lax-hlaup which also means "salmon leap"!

Salt is among the few Irish place names derived directly from Latin.
The barony was originally SALT and then divided between North and South.

There is no connection as far as I am aware to the condiment salt
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Online Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 01 November 17 16:11 GMT (UK) »
Thanks myluck, that makes sense as the River Liffey goes through there.