Author Topic: Black Eagle Tap House  (Read 2020 times)

Offline rocala

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Black Eagle Tap House
« on: Tuesday 08 November 11 12:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone

My parents, Bernard and Valerie Land, managed a pub, the Black Eagle Tap House in Brick Lane, Whitechapel around 1960. I think the pub was opposite the Black Eagle Brewery.

I know this is a long shot but does anyone know of a photo of the pub, particularly from the same period. Even some 1960ish pics of Brick Lane would be great.

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Re: Black Eagle Tap House
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 November 11 12:21 GMT (UK) »
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rocala

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 November 11 12:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nanny Jan

Many thanks for this. I was aware of the website but had missed the info on the Black Eagle Journal. These I find are kept at the London Metropolitan Archives. I recall that my mother appeared in a journal of some description as she was the youngest pub manageress in the company or in London perhaps, I cannot recall the exact details.

Regards

Bob

Offline Peter Williams

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 04 March 18 20:50 GMT (UK) »
Hello...I was "silver surfing" and saw your request about Black Eagle Pub...no photographs but I worked there parttime  for you parents about mid 1961 to end 1963 and went back for couple visits over next few months. It was an education for a nineteen year old to be in Brick Lane and your Mum and Dad were great. If you want any more info let me know. Peter

Offline rocala

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 March 18 16:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Peter

This is a wonderful surprise. Anything you can recall would be great.

Many thanks for replying.

Offline Peter Williams

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 12 March 18 13:45 GMT (UK) »
To put you in the picture I lived in the country at this time and hd never been to London save to come for job interview.Got the job in an office in Wormwood st(off Old Broad st) and found accomadation in hostel in Hunton Court off Underwood rd.My walk to digs was past Liverpool st ...Dirty Dicks down Artillery Passage and so on down Brick Lane..Hanbury st or Deal st.Clerks were on very poor pay so decided to try for p/t job in pub. Bear in mind I had never been in a pub before! Short chat with "Bernie"  I will give you a try..start tomorrow at 7pm ten shillings per night. Well he showed me the ropes and as I was quick and could addup pretty fast,we got on well.Looking back he struck me as a very well spoken English man with big moustache.Mixed crowd used the pub, Saturday lunch times came the directors from Trumans brewery "half of keg landlord" but the big drinkers were at night

Offline Peter Williams

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 12 March 18 14:31 GMT (UK) »
They were very mixed crowd,had a darts team and your father was the only English man on it! but he could handle them all very well.It realy was only the chance to have a booze up in another pub!! After a couple of months Bernie would leave me in charge (I was pleased as punch) while he visited his friend in another pub down the road.Dont know how I managed to get them all out at closing time and sleep in chair till he returned. The Krays came in couple of times ...whole pub used to go quiet while they said(cant remember which one) drink for yourself and everyone else! Another tale about them but it would have to be private. Your mother...did not seem to be there so much in the evenings but now and then I was invited to have Sunday lunch with them. It was better than wages!!! although I had already had most of the cheese and pickled onions she put out for the customers.

Offline rocala

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 15 March 18 23:15 GMT (UK) »
My mother mentioned the directors, always drank halfs never pints. She also mentioned the Krays and how it went quiet when they entered pubs.

I hope the picture brings back some memories.