Author Topic: Help with Irish ancestor George Bambury  (Read 7481 times)

Offline Tree Maker

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help with Irish ancestor George Bambury
« on: Tuesday 08 November 11 16:52 GMT (UK) »
George Bambury was born c 1851 to Ellen Bambury c1833 in Ireland.
The earliest census record is 1861 when Ellen and son George lived in Burslem, Stoke on Trent, Staffordshire.
In 1873 George married Ellen Dawson and went on to have several children.  Recorded on their Marriage Certificate is,  Father George Bambury, occupation Dyer.
The 1881 census entry has his birth place as Ireland, Castle Bay Barracks.
My geographical knowledge of Ireland is zero and my searches for Castle Bay Barracks has also resulted in a bit fat zero, so I could do with a little help, please!! :-*
I think the ennumerator mishead so Castle Bay could be a number of possibilites, one of which is Castlereagh and I think that Castlereagh is in Belfast and they did have a barracks, but I could be wishing this to be true.
I thought I had hit the jackpot when I discovered a record on findmypast on the GRO Regimental Birth Indices (1761 to 1924)and ordered the birth certificate for a George BANBURY who was born to a 41st Regimental Foot soldier George and his wife Bridget, 'place and date of Child's Baptism': Kilkeeven Roscommon, 29 January 1851.  Is this my George???? ???  So many coincidences.
May be George the father was made up to save face but why born at a barracks.
I think he died in 1897 in Stoke on Trent.  George was my husband's great grandfather.Any suggestions always welcome.  Andrea
Washington-Staffordshire, Cheshire; Hopkinson-Staffordshire, Derbyshire; Stonehewer-Cheshire; Cotton-Staffordshire; Brammer-Staffordshire

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Irish ancestor George Bambury
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 November 11 16:57 GMT (UK) »
There's a town named Castlerea / Castlereagh in Co. Roscommon. It's located in the civil parish of Kilkeevin.

see : Introduction to Irish Records

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 November 11 18:35 GMT (UK) »
There were houses for the men and their wives within the area of the barracks. My mother's cousin was born at a barracks.

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 November 11 20:46 GMT (UK) »
useing http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index you will find about 10 Bambury homesteads around 1850 were all living in Co Kerry in two townlands.
keep going Jim
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline Tree Maker

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 09 November 11 16:40 GMT (UK) »
Thank you to all who have posted your finding to help with my search.
The information relating to Griffith's Valuation Record for the surname Bambury is great news because I was beginning to think that 'Bambury' wasnt an Irish name.  I am now able to narrow down my searches for a barracks at the time of Georges' birth c 1850.

Thank you
Andrea
Washington-Staffordshire, Cheshire; Hopkinson-Staffordshire, Derbyshire; Stonehewer-Cheshire; Cotton-Staffordshire; Brammer-Staffordshire

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 09 November 11 16:43 GMT (UK) »
One point about Griffith's - most soldiers and army personnel would not be included since they usually lived on Army property.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 10 November 11 07:48 GMT (UK) »
I went back to your interpretation of Castle Bay and wondered. Google has a photograph named as 'castle bay' near Rossberry West Cork, useing google maps this develops into castle freke?and i wondered about all the possible castle bay views. Before you continue down the Castle Bay route, have you access to the Army lists if they existed for the period. from memory they dont index such places, the reference would appear under the army unit. Or try Cork history if you stay at a brickwall. My other instinct is to support the name being Bambury or Banbury depending upon who is saying it and who is writing it. keep going, lots of luck Jim
worldwide

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 10 November 11 07:58 GMT (UK) »
I found on google one historian of the 41st regimental foot says 41st Regiment of Foot before going to Canada originated in Londonderry, Ireland where the Regiment was posted from June 1818 until August 1820 when it was sent to Scotland.  So the irish connection for the 41st exists earlier than your interest. But that info doesnt help move you on.
worldwide

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 10 November 11 08:09 GMT (UK) »
finally as running out of time, have you seen the Bambery family in Co Kerry see http://boards.rootsweb.com/surnames.bambury/44/mb.ashx
Jim
worldwide