Author Topic: Help with Irish ancestor George Bambury  (Read 7482 times)

Offline Tree Maker

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Irish ancestor George Bambury
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 20:16 BST (UK) »
Hello Andrea.

My name is Stephen Bambury and George Bambury was also my Great Grandfather. Like you I have come to a dead end with his mother .
My father was the son of John Bambury married in 1896.
Do you have a copy of the census in 1861 when she and George were a lodger in Newcastle street Burlem?
Also do you have a copy of Georges wedding certificate in 1873 (although I have seen some records showing 1867).
I have lost my copies due to a computer hard disc issue.
Finally did you get any luck after 2011?

Hi Stephen would you pm me as I am not familiar with this website - I haven't used it for sometime.
I would need to check my paper records for the wedding certificate.  Maybe you could private message your email?

Washington-Staffordshire, Cheshire; Hopkinson-Staffordshire, Derbyshire; Stonehewer-Cheshire; Cotton-Staffordshire; Brammer-Staffordshire

Offline Tree Maker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 12 October 17 12:16 BST (UK) »
Castle Bay barracks left me unsure.  Castle Bar army barracks kept suggesting Co Mayo also many irish constabulary barracks were know as the barracks.  At some point I entered Castle Bay barracks nr  Ballylongford Aghavallen Kerry into Google images and got pages of images but not a real connection, the results selected more by castle than any other word I continued going for civil location records, ie by civil parish or even a church tax with records by civil parish  there are only two Bambury entries in the twenty six counties, http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/search/tab/results.jsp?surname=bambury&firstname=&county=&parish=&townland=&search=Search
Bambury   John   Ballyline   Aghavallen   Kerry   1824

Bambury   Thos   Ballyline   Aghavallen   Kerry   1824  Only two and these two made me look again and again as a starting point
Caution is needed with the Tithes as they are renowned for being selective and incomplete  Don’t move on until you look up the entry which is at least one line and just sometimes a map. Thos Bambury turns out to be the entry immediately underneath John Bambury who has 12 arable and 18 acres of mountain side and bog.   Thos entry is difficult to read, it starts as  Thos Bambery and Partners its 45 acres of class 3 pasture? and 24 acres of mountainside and bog   That’s quite a patch.. Its also the first time I have encountered this phrase Partners in the Tithes books.

[There is a famous graveyard in Aghavallen however  apparently there are no Bambury graves as listed by Find A Grave database]

after the tithes the next record that is another census substitute is Griffiths Valuation useing the civil parish in 1851  I have mentioned this before
http://www.failteromhat.com/griffiths.php the quick index and so useful
http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/ has much more detail including maps showing with lick the boundaries of the homestead.  Then you go onto their map see the place, slide anob changing form 1851 map to modern. The noting verything possible like road names  open google maps go to sateliite and then street view and you can see today what the place looks like. Great fun and useful
Bambury   John      Ballyline East      Aghavallen   Kerry map ref 2
Bambury   Margaret   Well Rd. Ballymacasey   Aghavallen   Kerry map ref 13 9
Bambury   John        Coolnagraigue     Aghavallen  Kerry map ref 5
Bambury   Edmond   Lislaughtin      Aghavallen   Kerry map ref 9
Bambury   Daniel      Tullahennel South   Aghavallen   Kerry map ref 5

Finally you can move to the census the parish now becomes part of administration district names
Census see http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie
Note: The Civil Parish of Aghavallen ceased to be used for census purposes in the mid nineteenth century when District Electoral Divisions (DEDs) were introduced.
Aghavallen comprises the entire DEDs of:
Astee (Astee East and West, Ballynoneen, Carrigane, Cloonaman, Curraghderrig, Glanawillin, Kilcolman, Killeton, Kylatallin, Larha, Letter, Sliss townlands)
Carrig (Aghanagran Lower; Middle and Upper, Carrig Island, Carrigafoyle, Gortard, Martara, Rusheen, Rusheen Park townlands. This DED also includes most of Ballylongford town.
Lislaughtin (Ballyline East and West, Ballymacasy, Bunnaruddee, Coolnagraigue, Dromalivaun, Gurteenacloona, Leanamore, Lislaughtin, Shrone townlands. The DED also includes the Will Road and Main Street areas of Ballylongford Town.
and part of
Lisselton DED (Tullahennel North and South townlands),

there are 56 Bambury listed in the 1901 census living in Co Kerry
these reduce to 41 when districts that contained part of Aghavallen
they reduce to 4 when comparing to Ballyline as listed in the Tithes.
the census 1901 gives them as one household
2 in Ballyline East (Leislaughtin, Kerry)

Bambury   John   b ~1831 70   Male   Head of Family   Roman Catholic   Co Kerry   Farmer   Read and write   Irish and English   Married   -
Bambury   Margaret   70   Female   Wife   Roman Catholic   Co Kerry   -   Read and write   Irish and English   Married   -
 children
Bambury   Mary   22   Female   Daughter   Roman Catholic   Co Kerry   Farmers Daughter   Read and write   English   Not Married   -
Bambury   George   21   Male   Son   Roman Catholic   Co Kerry   Farmers Son   Read and write   English   Not Married   -
surprisingly I can find no trace of them in 1911. did George emigrate etc  I stop here .

Andrea I notice you have George Bambury on Genes Reunited, and I noticed another tree holder Anne has an unknown Bambury in Ireland Kerry b 1700.  Over to others who can help and the church records if in existence. 
Good luck

Thank you for your time and suggestions I will look into all of your suggestions.
Washington-Staffordshire, Cheshire; Hopkinson-Staffordshire, Derbyshire; Stonehewer-Cheshire; Cotton-Staffordshire; Brammer-Staffordshire

Offline Tree Maker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 12 October 17 12:26 BST (UK) »
An enormous thank you for this information it looks very promising.  I need to look into The Welch Regiment of Foot - would you be able to suggest where I might start?  I know nothing of army records. I see from the information it lists his Service number  and a source: The National Archives - was this information found on line? Andrea

Offline Tree Maker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 12 October 17 12:43 BST (UK) »
in 1851  a George Banbury of the 41st foot was stationed in Castlebar,

First name(s)   George
Last name   Banbury
Name as transcribed   George
Year   1851
Service number   2144
Rank   Private
Regiment or unit   Depot. 41st (The Welch) Regiment Of Foot
Period   01/01/1851-31/03/1851
Location   Castlebar, Ireland
The National Archives reference   WO 12/5447
Record set   British Army, Worldwide Index 1851

I've sent a message but unsure how to use this site hope you can pick up?

Offline dkbythesea

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 03 January 18 21:56 GMT (UK) »
Hello Stephen, just wanted to say hi as I'm also related to you. My grandfather was Owen Bambury, (born in Cobridge 1910, died Brighton 1997) son of George Ephraim Bambury. I'm trying to trace our Irish heritage too. So interesting. Debbie x

Hello Andrea.

My name is Stephen Bambury and George Bambury was also my Great Grandfather. Like you I have come to a dead end with his mother .
My father was the son of John Bambury married in 1896.
Do you have a copy of the census in 1861 when she and George were a lodger in Newcastle street Burlem?
Also do you have a copy of Georges wedding certificate in 1873 (although I have seen some records showing 1867).
I have lost my copies due to a computer hard disc issue.
Finally did you get any luck after 2011?

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 04 January 18 21:55 GMT (UK) »

First name(s)   George
Last name   Banbury
Birth year   1828
Birth parish   St Michaels
Birth town   Coventry
Birth county   Warwickshire
Birth country   England
Service number   2144
Rank   PTE
Regiment   41st Regt Of Foot
Year   1845
Attestation date   23 Jun 1845
Attestation age years   17
Attestation age months   6
Discharge corps   41st Regt Of Foot
Discharge service number   2144
Document type   Discharge
Series   Wo 97 - Chelsea Pensioners British Army Service Records 1760-1913
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 04 January 18 22:04 GMT (UK) »
According to this service record...This George was a weaver/ribbon maker by trade. Discharged in 1855.

This COULD be him.

1861 census
9 Court, 9, Grey Friers Lane, St Michaels, Coventry, Warwickshire, England

George   Bambury   Head   Married   Male   33   1828   Weaver   Coventry, Warwickshire, England   
Sarah   Bambury   Wife   Married   Female   27   1834   Winder   Coventry, Warwickshire, England   
Emma   Bambury   Daughter   Unmarried   Female   4   1857   -   Coventry, Warwickshire, England   
Sarah   Bambury   Daughter   Unmarried   Female   2   1859   -   Coventry, Warwickshire, England
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk