Author Topic: Tasmania Help Please  (Read 11415 times)

Offline Essie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tasmania Help Please
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 09 November 11 10:26 GMT (UK) »
George and Sarah WALLER and six children arrived in VIC on the ship MELBOURNE in Aug 1882, and were outward bound on the ship MANAPOURI for NEW ZEALAND via HOBART in Aug 1882.  

I certainly think they needed servants!

I wonder if they even made it to New Zealand?  GA Waller of New Town was elected to the Royal Society of Tasmania in April 1883.

Essie

Offline johngirl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Dad and his cousins.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 09 November 11 10:27 GMT (UK) »
Think this is the Henry Tuttle Essie is talking about.

Henry Tuttle buried Cornelian Bay Cemetery Hobart 2/06/1952.Was residing at 21 A Gatehouse Street Moonah Tasmania.(Moonah not far from Glenorchy)
Widower of Mary Tuttle.

Buried with him is his son Vincent Montague Tuttle aged 13 who was buried 23/05/1917.
Also buried with him is George Thomas Ray who was buried 21/07/1970.

Here is the death notice for the wife of this Henry Tuttle.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/26441355?

The children in her death notice match with a few born before 1899 to Henry and Mary Tuttle (nee Montgomery). I could find no marraige for Henry and Mary.

Looks like this Mary died in 1947 in Sydney.Could be a completely different Henry and Mary than what Essie found but I would say its the same couple.
There is another Mary Tuttle who was residing in Glenorchy at the time of her death but her age in 1918 the year of her death was 82 so no match for Mary Montgomery born in 1866

Johngirl
JOHN- Pembrokeshire Wales.  FREEMAN -England?
MEDLICOT -Monmouthshire Wales.
ISAAC -Gloucestershire and Liverpool.[Toxteth Park] SNOW- England .Convict. FRAZER- England.Convict.
DEAL -Ireland .Convict.
KEMP -Saint Mary Cray Kent.Eynsford Wilmington England.Convict.
BLACKBERRY -Whitechapel .Convict. CONDON -alias
DUFFY-Brighton England. Convict.
BANTICK -Ixworth Sussex England. Convict.
JONES England????[George]Convict.
ROSE-England. Convict.
All came to Tas

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 09 November 11 11:08 GMT (UK) »

Wivenhoe the 1884 immigration and 1940 Tasmania death year dates are for the same Mary. The death date is from my mothers tree online and it's private.

Obviously you have the incorrect information:

The Mary MONTGOMERY age 86yrs that died in 1940 at Branxholm, TAS was married to Robert Bertram MONTGOMERY. 

Her maiden name was DAVIS. Mary, Robert & their children are well accounted for in the indexes & newspapers.

Offline Essie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 09 November 11 13:15 GMT (UK) »
A researcher of Henry James TUTTLE has his mother as Mary. Henry and Mary nee MONTGOMERY had nine children listed by the researcher but not all named, and those named more or less match the children *named in the death notice of Mary TUTTLE in Sydney.
http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=jbfisher&id=I5204

Jack = Patrick John
Harry = Henry
Syd = Cedric
Fred = Frederick
Annie = Ann

Yes johngirl, I believe this was the same Henry and Mary that I found.

Essie

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 09 November 11 13:37 GMT (UK) »
Their other four children appear on the index.
All born at ZEEHAN
Father: Henry TUTTLE
Mother: Mary TUTTLE nee Montgomery

William Norman b. 13/09/1900 #4786
Vincent Monty Alocaes b. 17/12/1904 #5088
Adeline Dolly b. 17/09/1907 #92
Violet Rosamund b. 18/03/1909 #5321

Offline lil growler

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 09 November 11 19:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone

You've all been so busy. I did see a marriage also for Mary Montgomery and a George Sloane, that was after 1884. I can't find it again. There is a child Nellie Clark Montgomery and a Margaret Sloane.

Essie..I've a lot to learn still:) It would make sense that someone from the Peerage would require staff. With Aghadoweys find that henry was from Ireland, that may solve the issue of how the others came to here of employment. Susan and Mary were from Donegla and Michael was from Liethrim (spelling)

Merlin thanks for the information on Davis, I do stand by the 1940 death date, everything else I have sourced form the tree so far has been correct, but it does still pay to be flexible.

Regards

lil

Added

George and Mary married 1909, in Tasmania, Ancestry and Nellie was born in Mercy 1890. She maybe illegitimate, Pioneers index
Ireland, Scotland , England, America, Australia, New Zealand

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 09 November 11 19:22 GMT (UK) »
If the online family tree details are correct then the Wallers were from Tipperary (although a Dublin connection with Guinness) then that's nowhere near Donegal, or Leitrim, where Mary, Susan and Michael were supposed to be from.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline lil growler

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 09 November 11 19:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Aghadowey

Thank you, Could it be possible though that they family may have advertised from within Ireland to other Counties? . I don't know enought to fully explian what I mean. But didn't Offices (probably not the tern used then) offer assited Immgration? etc

Regards

lil
Ireland, Scotland , England, America, Australia, New Zealand

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 09 November 11 20:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lil,

There were various Emigration Agents at various times who roamed the UK looking for suitable persons to offer them free or sponsored packages to the Antipodes.  Some of those Agents were appointed by the Colonial authorities. I am fairly sure they did advertise throughout Ireland, and also throughout the English Counties.  I refer to these schemes collectively as "Emigration Plans".  I think Julius Vogel was behind one such plan for NZ.  I have not ever researched re TAS emigration plans, sorry.

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.