Author Topic: Help pls deciphering german records  (Read 13366 times)

Offline apwright

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help pls deciphering german records
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 10 November 11 15:50 GMT (UK) »
Röthlisberger: Mathys, Ehefraumann der Anna Wermuth, von hier, im Wilds-
guthölzli. - Gest[orben] (:von einem Trämel erschlagen:) 3. Mart 1847.
Beerd[igt] in Signau d[en] 6t ejusd[em] - 44 Jahre alt.

Röthlisberger: Mathys, wifehusband of Anna Wermuth, from here, at Wildsguthölzli. - Died (struck by a [felled] tree trunk) 3 March 1847. Buried at Signau on 6th of the month - 44 years old.

Ulrich Röthlisberger von hier; ein Ehemann; Küher u[nd] Lehmmann
zu Grächwil, starb daselbst 29t Nov. 1835 begraben zu Meykirch 3t Dec.
alt 61. Jahre - (Lungenentzündung.)

Ulrich Röthlisberger from here; a husband, cattleman and potter, at Grächwil, died in that place on 29 Nov. 1835, buried at Meykirch on 3 Dec., aged 61 years - (pneumonia.)

Wildsguthölzli 46.89685 7.75548
Grächwil 47.01552 7.37527
Meykirch = Meikirch 47.0087 7.3650

Offline MattH

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 10 November 11 16:38 GMT (UK) »
Wow! That's fantastic! I've been researching Dutch records for years and never found a cause of death notice on any record. It makes me wonder who else might be good to put on here....Anyway, great work, Adrian and Justin.

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 10 November 11 17:47 GMT (UK) »
I take my hat off to you, Adrian. The place names are all so alien to me, I would never find them.

Matt, when viewing an old book on google.books you can switch to plain text. A few of the characters come out distorted, but it should make reading easier for you.

Justin

Offline MattH

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 11 November 11 02:09 GMT (UK) »
Adrian/Justin,
Just to help me fill out more of the lives of these ancestors of mine, I've attached Mathys Rothlisberger's birth registration. I know that his father was Ulrich and his mother was Verena Herrmann. I can't make out what it says after their names except for "von hier." Any help you might be able to give will be appreciated. (By the way, the last column is a list of the witnesses.)

Offline apwright

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 11 November 11 13:04 GMT (UK) »
Col.2 (parents)
Ulrich von hier; wohn-
hafft im ?Gringlenbach-Boden
Verena Herrmann
von hier

Col.3 (child)
März 25ten
Mathias

Col.4 (witnesses)
Hans Herrmann
Hans ?Frank
Magdalena Röthlisberger
von hier

wohnhaf(f)t = resident

?Gringlenbach-Boden is probably what is referred to in Durheim** vol.2 (1838), p.114, as Grindelbachboden (a house and outhouse on the estate of Grindelbach in Langnau parish).
Google Earth 46.946195 7.821804
The three farms just north of there are (clockwise from top) Ober-Grindlen, Unter-Grindlen and Ausser-Grindlen. Grindelbach is now Grindlebach.

**Durheim, Karl Jakob: Die Ortschaften des eidgenössischen Freistaates Bern:
Vol.1 http://books.google.com/books?id=2d5AAAAAYAAJ&printsec=frontcover (pdf 230 MB)
Vol.2 http://books.google.com/books?id=NVFCAAAAcAAJ&printsec=frontcover (pdf 125 MB)
Vol.3 http://books.google.com/books?id=QEBCAAAAcAAJ&printsec=frontcover (pdf 59 MB)

1880 map from http://www.apps.be.ch/geo/

Offline MattH

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 11 November 11 18:44 GMT (UK) »
Adrian,
Thanks for the all of this great info! I don't mean to be taking up a whole lot of your time, but, I have found a record from my German ancestors that I need help deciphering. This one may be a bit hard since the type is so bold. This is a marriage record from Zyriak Herzog and Monica Stuckle. They lived in around Bonndorf in Baden, Germany; so at least it's not too far away from Switzerland :)
Anyway, the record was on two different pages, so I had to chop them up as well. Hopefully, you'll be able to make some sense out of it! I know I can recognize some things like dates and some locations like Sigwart and Bonndorf. I'm hoping that this will reveal some occupations as well. Maybe Justin has some good experience with German records? Anyway, let me know if you need any questions answered. Thanks!

Offline apwright

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 11 November 11 19:43 GMT (UK) »
Is this yours, Matt??  :)
http://www.gremmert.com/getperson.php?personID=I29766&tree=ardeneva

Im Jahre 1835 den 24ten September, wurden mit Bezirks-
amtlicher Bewilligung vom 5ten und 22ten September
No.3445, zu Bondorf getraut der ledige Nagelschmied
Zyriak Herzog, ehelicher Sohn des Anton Herzog,

und der Liberate Schafrath von Schwarzhalden, geboren
den 2ten August 1808, und die ledige Monika Stuckle, ehe-
liche Tochter des Franz Joseph Stuckle, und der Anna
Maria Siegwart von Bondorf, alt 23 Jahre.
Zeugen: Thomas Vogt, Bauer von Grafenhausen, und
Johann Büche, Taglöhner von Bondorf.
Bondorf am 24ten September 1835 [signature] Decan und Pfar[rer]

In the year 1835 on 24th September with the district council's authorisation of 5th and 22nd September No.2445, there were married in Bondorf the unmarried nailsmith Zyriak Herzog, legitimate son of Anton Herzog and Liberate Schafrath from Schwarzhalden, born on 2nd August 1808, and the unmarried Monika Stuckle, legitimate daughter of Franz Joseph Stuckle and Anna Maria Siegwart from Bondorf, aged 23 years.
Witnesses: Thomas Vogt, farmer from Grafenhausen, and Johann Büche, casual labourer from Bondorf.
Bondorf, 24th September 1835 [signature] Dean and Vicar

Adrian

Offline MattH

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 12 November 11 04:13 GMT (UK) »
Adrian,
First off, thanks for the translation and deciphering. Second, yes, that's Zyriak, although that's not my website. I'm only familiar with that one. Also, for some reason, I had already known that Zyriak was a nailsmith and don't know why I forgot that...Anyway, thanks again! I think I'm going to take a little bit to analyze this information and hopefully it'll help me find out more about these ancestor's lives. Thanks to you, and to Justin!

Offline MattH

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 16 December 11 15:01 GMT (UK) »
Adrian and Justin,
I'm in need of your deciphering skills again. This time, I'm researching another part of my Swiss ancestors. I have been going through my records for the Messerli family and am wondering if this record below is a birth record of Barbara Traschel. I have down that she was born on Oct 6, 1758, and this was the record that came up. From the looks of it, it sure doesn't look even close to being a match, but, you'll have to see for yourselves. Thanks!