Author Topic: Rev Patrick McKenna - b. Monaghan, d. Fermanagh  (Read 8016 times)

Offline Bhoy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Rev Patrick McKenna - b. Monaghan, d. Fermanagh
« on: Wednesday 09 November 11 23:40 GMT (UK) »
Patrick McKenna was a Catholic priest who died on 10th Sept 1913 in Brookeborough, County Fermanagh, Ireland. He may well be buried in the graveyard in the grounds of St Mary's church there.

He had been born in County Monaghan to a mother named Catherine. Going by the available census and death records (which - frustratingly - differ), his year of birth was something around 1861 to 1873. I wouldn't be surprised, however, if the real date was earlier still.

This is a different person to the Patrick McKenna who was Bishop of Clogher diocese from 1909 to 1942.

Does anyone here have any further information about him?  There are so many McKennas (with the same selection of names) that it's proving difficult to narrow things down.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Rev Patrick McKenna - b. Monaghan, d. Fermanagh
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 November 11 23:57 GMT (UK) »
From www.proni.gov.uk Will Extracts- Will available to view- mentions brother James McKenna, nephew Michael Mccann, brother Bernard McKenna, sister Catherine McKenna:
"Probate of the Will of The Reverend Patrick McKenna late of Brookeborough County Fermanagh P.P. who died 10 September 1913 granted at Armagh to The Reverend Patrick McMeel and The Reverend Lugene Coyle R.C.C."
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Bhoy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 November 11 00:48 GMT (UK) »
From www.proni.gov.uk Will Extracts- Will available to view- mentions brother James McKenna, nephew Michael Mccann, brother Bernard McKenna, sister Catherine McKenna:
"Probate of the Will of The Reverend Patrick McKenna late of Brookeborough County Fermanagh P.P. who died 10 September 1913 granted at Armagh to The Reverend Patrick McMeel and The Reverend Lugene Coyle R.C.C."

Sorry, Aghadowey, I should have mentioned that.  Thanks for looking.

I'd still be grateful if anyone could tell me anything else about him - his date of birth or even his father's name.  Although the will mentions siblings, the names crop up in so many McKenna families that it doesn't really narrow it down much.  I do know that he was born in north Monaghan & that his mother died in Cavanmoutray.

Offline Valerie Campbell Ackroyd

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 14 October 15 00:11 BST (UK) »
Hi, I know this conversation was four years ago and you may have the 1911 census information already. I transcribe headstones for IGP-web, an Irish genealogy group. I was trying to decipher Patrick McKenna's headstone (which is located in the Catholic churchyard in Brookeborough) and Google'd for information about him. I found your chat but I also found the entry for where he was living in 1911. If it helps at all, he was 48 years old in 1911. His birthplace was indeed Monaghan.
Hope this helps and if you want to see his headstone, truck on over to IGP-Web.com. It is a free website.
Best regards, Valerie Ackroyd