Author Topic: Kathryn 'Kate' Horan  (Read 4206 times)

Offline Ultima25

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Kathryn 'Kate' Horan
« on: Thursday 10 November 11 16:18 GMT (UK) »
Hey there all, i was wondering if i could possibly get some help. i have tried starting on my Dad's side of the Family Tree but with little Success, riddled with Brick Walls i havent been able to get very far.

His Father was Jack Murdoch born 06/09/1914 to William Murdoch and Kathryn Horan, he had a Brother Called Edward who was born in 1912, not really sure what his birth/baptism date was and also a sister called Margaret, not sure when she was born either.

Not much is know about the Parents, William married twice, Kathryn being his second wife, his first wife we believed died young. The first wife's name was Margaret McDowell, they married in Belfast's Registrar's Office on 22nd June 1883. and they had two children, William Robert Murdoch, born 1885 not sure again on the date but it is believed he married a woman called Elizabeth Joyce and he died 6th June 1939 and buried in Gilnahirk. he had a sister called Annie and she was born in 1887, married a man called John Swandel, 29th Dec 1911 but not much more is known.

Kathryn Horan apparently came from Down South, all we know is that her Father's name was Michael Horan which is stated on the Marriage Cert i got from Rootsireland and asked where she was living at the time just stated Belfast, i Cant seem to find her on Census forms for 1901 or 1911. William and Kathryn we know lived around the Fountainville Area in Gilnahirk, but that is all we know.

If anyone could help me out i would very much appreciate it. Many Thanks, Philip

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Elwyn

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Kathryn 'Kate' Horan
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 November 11 17:57 GMT (UK) »
Impossible to tell if this is the correct Kathryn/Kate Horan but Kathleen's father is Michael-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/Glasnevin/Altona_Terrace__Circular_Road_North/9281

And another Kathleen with father named Michael-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/Rathmines___Rathgar_East/Belgrave_Square/53190

Another Kathleen with father Michael-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Galway/Kilmalinoge/Gortawullaun/472716

However, if Kathleen was not in father's household in 1911, her father had already died, etc. there are lots more possibilities.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Ultima25

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 10 November 11 18:23 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Aghadowey thanks for looking but i think you misread her name, it was Katherine Horan not Kathleen. And thanks Elwyn Soutter for finding William and his family on the Censuses.

At the moment i would like to see if there is any more info abt Kate Horan as i know very little about her.

Many Thanks
Philip

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 November 11 18:42 GMT (UK) »
No, I didn't mis-read her name- Kathleen is a form of Katherine/Catherine and is interchangeable.

I searched 1911 census for Kat* Horan but not Cat* Horan- as I said really too many possiblities.

Offline Ultima25

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 10 November 11 19:03 GMT (UK) »
Ohh right sorry, i beg your pardon, but yea ive no idea if any of them wud be her or not, apparently she worked in Belfast for a while before she met William Murdoch, you would like to think she wud have been on the 1911 Census in Belfast somewhere.

Many Thanks
Philip

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 10 November 11 19:10 GMT (UK) »
If you search the 1911 census for Horan with no forename, + Antrim and then Down (which together cover all of Belfast) you'll see just a handful listed. Less than a dozen in the 2 counties and Belfast. None has the forename Kate/Kathleen/Katherine etc. It does not appear she was living in the area at that time. Or she was away on census night anyway.
Elwyn

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 10 November 11 19:12 GMT (UK) »
I searched for Kat* Horan, single, in all counties but as I said so many possibilities so you could try yourself.

The marriage certificate should list father's occupation and will list Kate's address at the time of the marriage which might help.

Earlier I searched for Horan (no first name) in both Antrim and Down without results which is why I widened the search to all counties. See here for Antrim results (only 6 and none close to Katherine) and here for Co.Down results (none here either).

Offline Ultima25

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 10 November 11 19:14 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Elwyn, she should have been listed somewhere if she was in Ireland when the Census was taken, thanks also Aghadowey, i got the marriage details on Rootsireland and all it says was that she was living in Belfast and no street name.