Author Topic: Fitzgerald family, Portumna, Galway  (Read 9020 times)

Offline samanthac

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Fitzgerald family, Portumna, Galway
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 08 April 12 19:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Kurt,

Thanks for your message.  James is my grandfather, he died in 1991.  He was a policeman and moved quite a lot around Ireland with his family, he settled in Longford, not far from Galway.  James married Dorothy Tobin, they had 7 children but 2 died as infants. Dorothy died in 1976. 

I spoke with my aunt who confirmed that Paddy Fitzgerald still owns the farm, he was the first son of Michael Frances. Michael Frances had 4 children, Patrick (Paddy), Michael, Bridget and Eileen.     

Eleanor Florence also moved to America, but the family did not hear anything from her once she had moved.  Joseph and Frances were also in the police, both have died. 

Unfortunately I have not traced this side of the family much, but I guess the next stage would be to seek out the marriage certificate for Ellie, this would show her maiden name.

Please do not hesitate to ask any questions, I hope I can help.

I am living in the same town as my parents, Hastings, in East Sussex, UK, what about yourself Kurt?

My mother remembers that 'Jack' possibley your grandfather, was a policeman in New York and had 2 daughters, at that time, she remembers seeing photos of them when they were teenagers and was impressed by their glamour!!!!

Offline walten

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 08 April 12 21:00 BST (UK) »

Hey Sam,

I spoke with my cousin Kevin (King) today who is also interested in tracing his roots.  Kevin and I share John Fitzgerald as a grandfather and you're right -- people did call him Jack.  You're also right that he had two daughters.  My mother's name was Barbara and Kevin's mother's name was Joan.  They were very close.  Unfortunately, they both have passed.  Kevin plans to register for RootsChat and he can share some pictures of our mothers.  And as you suggested, they had their glamour moments! 

Our grandfather had a number of jobs over the years, but spent the bulk of his career at Consolidated Edison (ConEd), which is a utility in New York City.  Despite having a limited education, he ultimately rose into a management position!

It's interesting because I thought your grandfather came to America because he was listed as a witness ("James A. Fitzgerald") on our grandfather's marriage certificate.  Possibly he happened to be visiting the states.  Do you happen to know your grandfather's middle name?

We do know that one of our grandfather's sisters, ("Mae" or "May"?) came to America.  (Possibly Mae was Mary Delia.)  Mae married a man with the last of Benjamin and they had two children, John and Caroline.  I believe Mae died at a fairly young age and John and Caroline's father remarried.  They moved to the midwest and I believe lost touch with the family.  Fortunately, many years laters, John did some research and was able to reconnect with my Aunt Joan (Kevin's mother).   Kevin has remained in periodic touch with John and Caroline.

BTW, thanks to Kevin, we have our grandfather's birth certificate and it reveals that Ellie's (of Martin and Ellie) maiden name was "Carroll."  I believe you were interested in that.

It's funny because I assumed you were in the U.S., but it's interesting to hear you're in the UK.  I live in Arlington, Virginia (suburb of Washington DC).   Please let us know if you ever come this way!

As I mentioned, I plan to visit the area where my grandfather grew up this summer and possibly even say hello to Paddy if that's possible.

Let's stay in touch.  I'm happy to share my email address.

Kurt

Offline samanthac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 09 April 12 16:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Kurt

Thanks for the information Kurt. My grandfather was James Antony Fitzgerald, but my mum cannot remember any mention that he went to America.  She advised, that once people went there they never returned!! Would it be possible that they married in Ireland and moved to America together? 

Does it state the name of the parish and county on the marriage certificate by any chance?  And if possible I would love to have a copy.  Maybe it could be scanned and e.mailed to me?  I would imagine 'Carroll' was O'Carroll at one stage.  She was a school teacher, maybe this is where your grandfather picked up some of his brains eh?

I would love to see some photos of your mum and aunt, and my own mother was very excited at the prospect as well?

My e.mail address is *

By the way I will try and get Paddy's number for you.

Regards

Sam x
(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline walten

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 09 April 12 19:07 BST (UK) »

Hey Sam,

Well this adds up as the marriage certificate has "A." for the middle name.  The marriage certificate indicated they married at St. Teresa's in Brooklyn, which is the parish where Kevin's and my mother were raised so I guess the reason why your grandfather was listed may always be a mystery to us.  Kevin actually just sent me the certificate and I'd be happy to send it to you.  As for my grandfather's brains, yes, he was a smart man who had real class.  Salt of the earth.

Paddy's number would be great.  I'm a little concerned about how he will feel about visitors from "the other side of the pond."  We would just love to spend a little time with him and possibly take some pictures of the farm.

BTW, I guess we can't provide emails through this area (yours was deleted).  I'll see if I can find you the personal message system they reference to give you my email address.  Once I receive your email address, I'll forward the certificate.

BTW, based on my understanding, we're second cousins!

Kurt

Offline samanthac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 09 April 12 21:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Kurt

I have e.mailed you.

Sam

Offline search4family

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 10 April 12 01:00 BST (UK) »
Hello Sam and Kurt. I'm registered. John Benjamin's sister's name is Carol Ann. I'll write to John now via US mail to see what information he can share with me. I'll send along a picture (wedding of Barbara to Harry Walten) with Joan and our grandparents - John P. Fitzgerald and Rose (Dugan) Fitzgerald in the photo...via email to Sam.

Offline samanthac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 26 October 14 18:17 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I am continuing to search for Martin Fitzgerald's and Ellie Carroll's marriage date and place of marriage, I have tried various Family Search sites but have not been successful, can anyone help?  I understand that Martin and Ellie moved to Portumna from Ahascragh, Ballinasloe.  I  believe Martin's DOB to be 1864, died 1929.  From the censes, i believe they married in, or around 1887.

I wonder if they got married in Ellie's hometown, but I am unable to confirm where this is, but i do know she is from Galway.

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Regards

Sa