Author Topic: RAPSON, Edward John - Coal Man & Record Breaker  (Read 3006 times)

Offline Suziesmith37

• RootsChat Senior
  • 'All In The Balance'
    • View Profile
RAPSON, Edward John - Coal Man & Record Breaker
« on: Friday 11 November 11 01:01 GMT (UK) »
Looking for any information on Edward John Rapson he was born 14th February 1920 and died August 1986.
Lived around Leedstown/ Helston area.
He is know as a character of Leedstown, an excerpt from a book reads as follows: - 'Then there was John Rapson, coal-man, who could move school benches single-handed.  His great strength took him into the Guinness Book of Records, when on 4th April 1953 he carried one cwt of household coal in an open bag 14 miles from Perranporth to Camborne in three hours 40 minutes.  His record remained unbeaten for nearly 25 years until 1977.

The only other mention I can find to date is in The Wisconsin State Journal of Thursday March 29th 1973!  Under a small column headed 'English Coalman Vows to Keep record' - HELSTON, England (UPI) Coalman John Rapson 53 is challenging anyone to try to beat a record set 20 years ago by carrying a 113pound sack of coal 14 miles in three hours 40 minutes.  If anyone breaks the record in the next three weeks, Rapson said he will best it again three days later.

I am looking for any photographs or information regarding Mr Rapson and his 'Great Feat' or any other facts surrounding this enigma of a chap! - Thanks Su

Pat. side:Barker, Richards. Williams, Brewer, Chapman, Pascoe, Hill - St.Keverne, Redruth, Cornwall
Mat. side:Thomas, Richards, Viant  - Falmouth, Padstow,Redruth, Cornwall & Devon. Law - Cornwall, Wales and London

Offline croxia

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: RAPSON, Edward John - Coal Man & Record Breaker
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 November 11 17:16 GMT (UK) »
Hello Su. I wonder if John Rapson use to deliver coal to us in St. Keverne! Lived there in 60's and 70's.
Notice you have the surname Richards listed for there and Redruth. I have that name in my family.

You are welcome to PM me if you would like to!

PS...Would the West Briton or Helston Packet newspapers have any information?

Offline cornishboy

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 May 16 15:42 BST (UK) »
hi su. I am new to this. I see you are looking for information on edward john rapson.i have a lot of information if you would like to get in touch I will help if I can.

Offline tonepad

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 May 16 20:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Su

I  was at a school in Helston during the 1960s. At least one of Edward Rapson's children attended the school at the same period. Their father's exploits were certainly a topic of conversation amongst the pupils at this time.

You could try contacting Helston Museum:

http://www.helstonmuseum.co.uk/

Tony
Aucock/Aukett~Kent/Sussex, Broadway~Oxfordshire, Danks~Warwickshire, Fenn~Kent/Norfolk, Goatham~Kent, Hunt~Kent, Parker~Middlesex, Perry~Kent, Sellers~Kent/Yorkshire, Sladden~Kent, Wright~Kent/Essex

Offline frecile37

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 27 May 16 12:46 BST (UK) »
Thank you to all ther posts for you replies aI shall follow up with helston museum.  Cornishboy would be grateful for any info, not sure how to PM you on here?

Sorry had to login under a different name as I have forgotten how to log in here

Will look at it again later to see if I can find my login details LOL!!