Author Topic: 754 army field royal enginners  (Read 5007 times)

Offline zarathustra

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 754 army field royal enginners
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 15 November 11 21:00 GMT (UK) »

Hi Annie,
Well if your friend is amazed, so is my Dad. He couldn't believe it when i told him. He has more memories of him than is in his book of course as they worked together for months. Of course apart from the colleagues they saw killed or wounded, they rarely knew what happened to their mates when they were taken away. My Dad believed Jimmy died of malaria. He was buried in the Canadian cemetery because there had been a major battle nearby which featured a Canadian battalion and they suffered massive casualties. Jimmies body was interred at the same time they were all being buried which is why he is in with the Canadians I guess.
My dad wrote his book after he retired and the response he has had from it has been incredible. I only arranged to put his diaries into book form and print him a copy as a gift yet he has sold over 100 now, including ones to the late Spike Milligan and to Lord Dennis Healey, who ( and he did not know it at the time) he helped to dig out of the sand on the beach in Sicily after the Beach Command bunker had been hit by a bomb.
You may be able to buy a second hand version on Amazon, but if not he has 3 copies at home. He's been selling them for £15.00 over the last 10 years.
War is so sad and it is such a shame your friend never knew her grandad. You know, if she wants, my Dad would love to be able to help her. As I say, he has memories of Jimmy which are not in the book and he is quite happy to correspond with her if she wants to talk or find out more. I think he would love to know his memories might be important to someone. So many of them never made it back.  Let me know if you want to buy a book from him. 

Offline T d b 123

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 13 November 17 17:47 GMT (UK) »
I'm not sure when these posts were written as the year is not given but I would love to buy a copy of your dads book. my grandad was in the 754 field company royal engineers and also wrote his memoirs of his time in Sicily. Sadly he has now passed away but I would love to see if he was mentioned in the book!

Offline kim r

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 17 November 22 22:46 GMT (UK) »
my grandad henry john bailey was in the 754 field company royal engineers and I'm trying to find out more about him.....he told my dad he used to drive monty about.x