Author Topic: 1896 French Census, where to find it?  (Read 1974 times)

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
1896 French Census, where to find it?
« on: Saturday 12 November 11 22:48 GMT (UK) »
My grandmother Margaret Sweeney spent some time in France working for a family teaching English to the children I'm not quite sure of when she was there, I know she was in Egypt in 1901 so it had to be before that so I was hoping she might be on the 1896 Census in Paris and discovering the name of the family she worked for but I'm having no luck working out where I can view this census.
Any ideas?

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1896 French Census, where to find it?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 November 11 11:29 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately this does not seem to survive (or perhaps was not done, I'm not sure).

At any rate the Paris Archives only lists four years, starting 1926, and these are not viewable except by going in person:
http://www.paris.fr/politiques/archives-de-paris/sources-genealogiques/denombrements-de-population/rub_6027_stand_12895_port_13496

Very few French censuses have been name-indexed which makes them rather a pain if your family are from anywhere but a little rural village. If you knew an address in France for her then it might be possible to track her employers down from that.

Do you know who with/why she was in Egypt? I wonder if she could have accompanied the family there.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 November 11 15:19 GMT (UK) »
All I know is she was in Paris with friends or relations of the Mansfield family, they were the 'big house' family in the area. I know who she went to Egypt with, but they wouldn't have been the same family as Paris. She got to go because she had fluent French from living in Paris and acting as interpeter/lady's maid. The family in Paris wouldn't have needed a interpreter.

Looks like I'll have to put this search on hold for the moment but thank you for your help.
Fingers crossed the French realize this stuff could be a money spinner and put it online some day.
I know at least one of the Mansfields was born in Paris so maybe I can follow up on that connection.
Thanks again.

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 November 11 16:41 GMT (UK) »
French archives generally won't put anything online that's more recent that 100 years due to privacy laws.

Birth records are online up to 1902:
http://canadp-archivesenligne.paris.fr/
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 November 11 22:55 GMT (UK) »
I'll have to take you're word for that I can't make head nor tail of that site.  :-[