Author Topic: Povall/Williams graves Broken Hill Zambia  (Read 1741 times)

Offline scorpiom

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Povall/Williams graves Broken Hill Zambia
« on: Sunday 13 November 11 08:06 GMT (UK) »
John William Povall married Rosina Williams in 1885 in Cardiff Wales.  They had 10 children, some born in England, others born in South Africa.  On their marriage certificate John's occupation is listed as Sailor.  They came to South Africa around 1898.    John's brother Frederick Charles Povall was a farmer in South Africa but I think they all moved to the Copper Belt in Zambia, which was then called Northern Rhodesia.  There must be several Povalls buried in the Broken Hill cemetary.   Can anyone please take photos for me?

Offline Gregssmith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Povall/Williams graves Broken Hill Zambia
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 19 January 17 12:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi I am related to this line of the Povall's, I would like to know more about what you know . Can we talk?

Offline scorpiom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 20 January 17 11:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Greg
We can indeed talk.  I hope you can fill in some gaps. My great grandfather JOhn William Povall was born in Durban in 1858. His parents were John Povall of Liverpool and Marion Mann of Kent. JOhn first married Alice Sinclair and when their son was still young, JOhn left them and travelled to Port Said and eventually ended up in Cardiff.  (He could have worked on a ship and that is why he called himself a sailor on their marriage certificate).He met Rosina Williams in Cardiff, filed for divorce from Alice and married Rosina on 6 April 1885 (I have a copy of their marriage certificate).  It gets a bit sketchy from then on ... Rosina and 4 children sailed to SA in 1893 (no sign of JOhn) but I then have a John sailing to SA in 1903.  Problem is they had children during these 10 years.??? My grandmother was Marion Rose Povall born in Poole in 1890. At some stage John and his son Albert moved to the Copper Belt and i understand they died there. Rosina died in 1939 and is buried in Durban.  Did they get divorced?? I know Marion travelled to Zambia to visit family (presumably her father John) but died shortly after returning home to Cape Town in 1927 of Black Water Fever (I understand this is caused by malaria obviously while in Zambia).  Marion was survived by her husband Herbert Stannard and 5 daughters, one of which was my mom.  Your turn now!
Regards Marilyn

Offline Gregssmith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 20 January 17 15:48 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the reply Marilyn,
I am all new to this "lineage detective work"and it has been fun.

So I have a few docs that I found on the net by a researcher, it is a wealth of info in regards to John William Povall and his marriages and his brothers etc.

Sticking with JW
 - he abandoned Alice; He may have had a shotgun wedding?  ;(He married Alice at her father's house?)
 - he was noted as a blacksmith
 - at 22 he left Alice for a planned 1 week trip and he did not see her again. At this young age I think the lure and adventure of gold and diamond mines was just far too big for him to ignore.
 - by the docs you will see he had 10 children altogether with Rosina.
 - I am fairly sure that JW was involved in mining in Northern Rhodesia because my great grand father, Reuben Smith ( Jewish and born in Middelsbrough, England) , married one of his daughters Edith Maud Povall. Reuben Smith owned a gold mine.
 - EP and RS had two children , Arthur Lear Smith (my grandfather) and Aida Smith
 - They got divorce and EP married again, to another Smith (not related to AL Smith - Smith's are a dime a dozen you know?). They had 4 children.

I will upload the docs and send to you tomorrow - they are a really interesting and should give you more leads. This is quite fun.

Is it possible to send a copy of Rosina and John's marriage certificate.
Which cemetery in Durban was Rosina buried at?

Keep Well

Greg

Offline scorpiom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 13:31 BST (UK) »
Shoo Greg, sorry for delay.  Am trying to clear out my inbox and only now got your mail.  Rosina is buried in Stellawood Cemetary in Durban.  I have a photostat copy of her marriage certificate but a portion of it is missing - that's the condition I got it in from my mom's second cousin Doug Knight. It's nice to know that John William definitely worked in Zambia. I didn't realise there were gold mines, I thought it was all copper.
Kind regards Marilyn