Author Topic: James PETERS Catherine PRESTON of Cork  (Read 1890 times)

Offline Jurlina

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James PETERS Catherine PRESTON of Cork
« on: Monday 14 November 11 03:02 GMT (UK) »
My 3rd great grandmother, Sarah Edwards nee PETERS, was born in Cork circa 1839.

If anyone is related, or able to assist in giving me more information on my ancestors, I would greatly appreciate their help.

Sarah's parents were James PETERS ( reportedly a cutler by profession) who married Catherine PRESTON.

Family lore is that both of her parents died in their home of starvation after giving their children all the food during the potato famine, leaving Sarah and her younger brother to go to the poorhouse.

Later, Sarah arrived 8 Dec 1854 in New South Wales on the Lady Kennaway, aged 18 years, she was a Childsmaid from Cork, Ireland, and could read and write and listed as Religion Church of Rome.

I would really like to know if her brother survived to have his own family...

Thanks,
Michele

Offline Druhtinaz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James PETERS Catherine PRESTON of Cork
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 June 17 08:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Michele,

I'm researching this Sarah Peters' parents and siblings as I have matched by DNA to two people who share Sarah and William Edwards as common ancestors to try to find how I'm connected to them. It may be the key to unlocking my grandfathers irish tree that emigrated to Middlesborough in 1870s.

I realise this reply is 6 years later, but I was hoping you may have had some luck with this.

Regards
Paul Sexton

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James PETERS Catherine PRESTON of Cork
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 June 17 08:38 BST (UK) »
You could try sifting through RC registers, online free

http://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0039  and other Parishes via map. There is a basic Filter for Births/Year or just Births, and look through them
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.