Author Topic: GLISTER  (Read 4561 times)

Offline BORESTONE

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
GLISTER
« on: Tuesday 15 November 11 17:47 GMT (UK) »
I have just joined this website and see posts regarding the Glister family from Calthorpe - Norfork.
My great grandfather was Fidelus Glister born 1893 to Eliza and Thomas died 1978 Stirling Scotland. I believe Eliza's surname was Leacock. Anyone interested in this HUGE family, can contact me, but bear with me i'm new and unsure on how to navigate.  :).

I have seen 2 queries on the website regarding the Glister family.  1. from lynneview and 1 from tati, they were both in 2008. I would like to contact/forward or notify them of above but i am finding the website very difficult to navigate (me!). If anyone can give me advice on how i do this or direct me to them i'd be grateful.

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: GLISTER
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 November 11 20:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Borestone,

One way to find the Glisters of Calthorpe topic is to click on 'Search' at the top of the RootsChat page, in the 'Search for' box type in Glister, a few posts will come up and the one you want will be shown.

Alternatively scroll through the Norfolk posts till you come to Thursday 16 Oct 2008 and you will find it there.

Regards.
Concentrating currently on:
Essex: Card, Harris, Stowell, Theobald/Tibbles & Turner.
Norfolk: Beale, Cork & Dalton.
Yorkshire: Oswald Sturdy birth/baptism c1708, Oswald where the devil are you?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BORESTONE

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 November 11 08:26 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for your help.

Offline lynneviews

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 January 12 12:49 GMT (UK) »
I have PM'd you. However, I believe some of your information is incorrect - I think Eliza was a Wymer not a Laycock. Eliza and Thomas had 13 children. Thomas is descended from John who was married to Sara Laycock (see thread posted in 2008) If you would like more info contact me
Armitage (High Hoyland) Godfrey (London East End)
Yates (theatrical family) Tilden Smith (Kent)
Windsor (Hampstead)

Offline phrynee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 09 May 14 08:42 BST (UK) »
My grandfather was Thomas Herbert Glister, married to Elizabeth Saville. His father was Thomas Glister married to Elizabeth Wymer of Alsham. Fedilius Glister was my great uncle, and I met him when I was little and he bought me a doll. I also met aunty Alice (Totty) Glister. I have lived in Australia for 57 years now.

Offline lynneviews

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 09 May 14 09:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Borestone
You are right it is a big family! It gets bogged down fairly quickly as well we have been unable to push it beyond Fedelious' Grandfather. Fedelious was one of I think 13 children all living in a tiny farm house in Calthorpe. Many of them left Norfolk to make better lives for themselves. My mother spent the war years as a refugee in the village surrounded by her aunts and uncles. We are descended from Florence Glister who was the baby of the family. When she and her sister  Tottie died the solicitor had to do a huge family search to work out who inherited what. So I have quite a lot of information about the cousins etc for the family. I can share that with you if you care to PM me.

I have just joined this website and see posts regarding the Glister family from Calthorpe - Norfork.
My great grandfather was Fidelus Glister born 1893 to Eliza and Thomas died 1978 Stirling Scotland. I believe Eliza's surname was Leacock. Anyone interested in this HUGE family, can contact me, but bear with me i'm new and unsure on how to navigate.  :).

I have seen 2 queries on the website regarding the Glister family.  1. from lynneview and 1 from tati, they were both in 2008. I would like to contact/forward or notify them of above but i am finding the website very difficult to navigate (me!). If anyone can give me advice on how i do this or direct me to them i'd be grateful.
Windsor (Hampstead)

Offline phrynee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 09 May 14 11:26 BST (UK) »
I never met great aunty Flo, but my grandfather Thomas Glister named his first baby after her. Unfortunately the baby died, and my mother Joyce Glister became the eldest. Great aunty Flo delivered my grandmother s third child called Monica Ruth Glister. My grandfather came and lived with us off, and on in Australia, he died in Leicestershire. Though I was close to my grandfather, I never met my great grandmother Elizabeth Rebecca, and grandfather was very reserved and reluctant to talk about them. I am 70 now, and suddenly realised I could look up all this information on the internet, and find out about my history.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 09 May 14 13:52 BST (UK) »
lynneviews - you say you haven't been able to get beyond Fedelious' grandfather who, according to census was a John Glister bc.1828.

John Glister was bp.12/1/1827 Calthorpe (incorrectly listed as Calthorne on familysearch), son of an Ann Glister.

In 1841 John is in Calthorpe with, I believe, his maternal grandparents, William and Mary - the enumerator has listed them as Lister, rather than Glister.

In 1851 William and Mary Glister - 80 and 82 - are still living in Calthorpe and on Parish Relief.

I can only find 2 daughters born to William and Mary (nee Thornton) Glister:

Ann bp.7/9/1806 Edingthorpe
Jemima bp.17/6/1808   ditto

Besides son John, Ann also had a daughter Jemima bp.15/9/1833, bur.8/12/1833 Calthorpe so obviously still single in 1833.   Don't know what happened to her after that.

This looks like Williams marriage:

William Glister and Mary Thornington 2/8/1803  North Walsham. (witnesses John Glister and James Dye).

Census shows William bc.1771 Blickling.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lynneviews

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 09 May 14 14:38 BST (UK) »
Wow thanks for that Annette
I just never had the time to really search. Once I found out he was illegitimate it seemed to be a brick wall. You have helped me chip away a little. 
Windsor (Hampstead)