Author Topic: Cambusnethan Cemetery Grave Search - Part 2  (Read 67055 times)

Offline Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Cambusnethan Cemetery Grave Search - Part 2
« Reply #18 on: Monday 26 March 12 09:44 BST (UK) »
Hello Jen,

Welcome to Rootschat. I have made a thorough search of the Cambusnethan burial records that I have (they end at 1916, more or less). I didn't find very much I'm afraid but every little helps. The only solid evidence is this entry -

AGNES McCONNELL, Newmains, aged 3 years.
Parents - William McConnell & Rachel Kent.
Interred in common ground on 23rd January 1862.

There is an infant child of William McConnell & Agnes Loudon, died 1895. Could this William be the son of William & Rachel?
Also infant children of Rachel Kent Kinnear who was married to John McFarlane, dates around 1908 in Shotts.
There is a huge family plot (Morrison family) in the old churchyard with 4 infant McConnells interred between 1893 - 1902 and a Robert Tippin (Topping?) aged 31 years in 1895. Ring any bells?

There is a headstone in Kirk o' Shotts churchyard with the following inscription -

Erected by George Topping in memory of his father George who died 15th April 1871 aged 52 years.  Fanny Topping died 16th February 1859 aged (5?) years.  Daniel Topping died 8th June 1877 aged 19 years.  Ros Ann Bogle his daughter died 10th February 18(.)2 aged 13 months.  Rossanne Bogle widow of George Topping died 28th October 1899 aged 77 years.  Margaret Russell Topping died (.) June 1909 aged 1 year.  George Topping died 21st July 1934 aged 82 years.  (His wife (…..) Chalmers died 17th March 1902 aged 44 years.

Fanny is a diminutive of Francis, so perhaps there is a connection to your Toppings.

That's all I could find but we do have a Waddell expert on this List, she will help you I'm sure.

Regards,

Lodger
Paterson, Torrance, Gilchrist - Hamilton Lanarkshire. 
McCallum - Oban, McKechnie - Ross of Mull Argyll.
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Binnie - Muiravonside Stirlingshire.
Curran, McCafferty, Stevenson, McCue - Co Donegal
Gibbons, Weldon - Co Mayo.
Devlin - Co Tyrone.
Leonard - County Donegal & Glasgow.

Offline wedgelee65

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 26 March 12 11:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks Lodger,

That one small piece of solid evidence has already solved one of my mysteries! I had been searching for a marriage for Agnes McConnell (born 01 Sept 1858) for ages as I hadn't found a death record and so already that's one I can cross off my list...
William and Rachel had another Robert born 16 Sept 1856 but he must have died too as a baby/young child as the second Robert was born on 03 Mar 1861.

The other children from the marriage were:
Hugh McConnell b 1849 (married to Marion ?)

William McConnell b 1851 (married twice second time to Marion Stobo)

Christina McConnell b 1853 (married Thomas Saddler)

Isabella McConnell b 1855 (married ? Maley)

Robert McConnell b 1856 - died before 1861

Agnes McConnell b 1858 - died 1862 (THANKS!)

Robert McConnell b 1861 (married Agnes Topping Waddell)

Mary McConnell b 1863 ????

John McConnell b 1865 ????

James McConnell b 1867 (married Elenor Campbell?)

David McConnell b 1869 ????

The McConnells were a mining family and they did move around quite a bit so it's difficult to keep track of individual family members. I haven't been able to definitely trace any of the family members deaths to mining accidents either.
As for all the Topping information you have kindly provided, I will have another look at my information - I have some deaths of Toppings at Shotts because of the mortcloth records so I'm sure to find some links there.
Thank you so much for your prompt reply. I live in Australia and as I haven't yet managed to win the Lotto unfortunately I can't see myself getting over to Scotland any time soon...

Warm Regards,
Jen

Offline Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 26 March 12 19:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Jen,

I've checked through the records again and nothing comes up for McConnell paired with Stobo, Saddler, Maley or Campbell. What was the name of William's first wife?
If you haven't already checked, the 1855 birth certificate for Isabella will give lots of extra information, including parents age and place of birth, the date and place of marriage and how many children they had already, living or dead. Well worth checking.

Lodger
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Devlin - Co Tyrone.

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 26 March 12 22:36 BST (UK) »
1881 census has the McConnell family living in Whitburn

William McConnell 42 born Eastwood, Renfrewshire
Rachel McConnell 41 born Bothwell
Robert McConnell 24
Mary McConnell 18
John McConnell 16
James McConnell 14
David McConnell 12
William McConnell 3 grandson

Address Green Tree Cottage Whitburn

Offline wedgelee65

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 27 March 12 06:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks once again Lodger and Sancti for showing such an interest in my research. I don't know if you appreciate how exciting it is to check emails when you see a reply in the inbox! It's difficult doing family research on a budget and this sort of information really helps...

Sancti - The 1881 McConnell family you have listed are indeed my McConnells.
It took a while to figure out who the grandson belonged to but eventually I discovered that he was the son of William and Rachel's son William McConnell whose wife had died - I have been unable to find out who his first wife was but he later married Marion Stobo and had more children. The grandson stayed with his grandparents right up until their deaths judging by the census information and was even noted as their own son on the later ones.

Lodger - As for all the Topping family members you found in the Kirk o'Shotts churchyard - they are definitely related to my Toppings as the first George Topping who died 15 Apr 1871 appears to be  a relative of Frances Topping (mother of Margaret Russell Bonar). Can't match up the others yet but still looking!
Have gotten further with the Marshalls (who appear to be from Stirling) but no luck with Hugh Kent/ Archibald Douglas Waddell/ Elizabeth Rymer so far.

Thanks again,
Jen

Offline drphil

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 06 April 12 05:28 BST (UK) »
What a monumental thread (get it?!).  My forefather John Davidson b 1820 in Stevenston, Ayrshire died on 18 Mar 1884 in Cambusnethan of a lung abscess/ pneumonia, I wonder if you have a record of his burial?
Thanks!

Offline Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 06 April 12 10:41 BST (UK) »
This looks like him in Cambusnethan municipal cemetery -

JOHN DAVIDSON, joiner, Morningside, aged 66 years, married.
Parents - Hugh Davidson and Isabella Wilkieson.
Interred in plot C380 on 20th March 1884.

The plot was owned by Hugh Davidson of Morningside. John is, as far as I can tell, the only occupant.
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Devlin - Co Tyrone.

Offline drphil

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 06 April 12 20:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much, that's him all right.  At the risk of pushing my luck is there anyone out there who lives just next door to the cemetery who would be willing to take a digi photo of the grave/ headstone for me?

Offline Strachan48

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 29 April 12 03:13 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I am new to Roots but was pleased to find that there is mention of someone I am looking for in this chain.
Joseph Strachan grew up in Wishaw and ultimately emigrated to Canada. (my husbands great grandfather)  His mother was Charlotte (Diffin ) Strachan  d. 1908 and her parents John and Margaret long time residents. I see they are all buried in Cambusnethan cemetery from your prior notes, but I am trying to find details about her husband William Strachan d between 1895 and 1908. - I think he was buried with Charlotte in plots owned by Joseph his son.
Any info on William or his parents James Strachan and Helen Morrow ?
On his marriage certificate to Charlotte William shows as a widower.
any help would be much appreciated   srs