Author Topic: Elizabeth Swain/Manitoba  (Read 22314 times)

Offline mlkabel

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Elizabeth Swain/Manitoba
« on: Tuesday 15 November 11 22:11 GMT (UK) »
Looking for any info on Elizabeth Swain, b. early 1800's, married Baikie Sinclair somewhere in Manitoba. Baikie worked for the Hudson Bay company and retired to Red River Settlement mid 1800's.

Offline JDC

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Passed away 26th June 2022.
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Swain/Manitoba
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 November 11 22:33 GMT (UK) »
 Hi mlkabel,

I believe the Hudson Bay Compny records are in Winnipeg, Mb.. I'm not sure if they would have vitals records there since it was likely in a frontier location at that time - not sure if there were any churches there then. If not, the records would have been sent to the central church in eastern Canada.

JDC
Carpenter - B'ham Warwick,
Cole - Devon
Coy - Germany
Langmaid - Cornwall & Hants
Rayment - Herts & Kent
Holt - ? England

Offline vbain

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile

Offline mlkabel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 November 11 00:48 GMT (UK) »
The only info I have on her is that Baikie & Elizabeth had a son Geroge Sinclair baptised at St. Andrew's on May 9, 1852 and that there was an Elizabeth Sinclair who was buried at St. Andrews's on Sept. 11, 1857 aged 45.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 16 November 11 04:47 GMT (UK) »
They also had a daughter Nancy Sinclair, father Baki  her basic details from marriage to George Folster in 1878
St.Andrew's Anglican Church, Lockport, Manitoba.
http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/001/098/001098-119.01-e.php?&id_nbr=6255
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline mlkabel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 16 November 11 20:47 GMT (UK) »
I have a copy of Sinclair, Bakie (Baikie) service records from the Hudson Bay Company, but I don't know where or who Elizabeth Swain is from or her parents/siblings. I seem to recall that the HBC does not have records of employee spouse's. She has been a mystery to me for 20+ years. ??? Thank you for all your help: J.J./ vbain & jdc.

Offline JDC

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Passed away 26th June 2022.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 16 November 11 21:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi mkkabel,

Perhaps the Manaitoba genealogical Society may be able to help. Here is their web link: http://www.mbgenealogy.com/.  Hope it helps,

JDC
Carpenter - B'ham Warwick,
Cole - Devon
Coy - Germany
Langmaid - Cornwall & Hants
Rayment - Herts & Kent
Holt - ? England

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 16 November 11 22:25 GMT (UK) »
I imagine you have followed through on the children born to James Swain & a native woman from Fort severn... Their son James ended up in Lisgar district, so they may have as well...
I see Bakie is 89 and widowed by the 1881 census, here with son Thomas age 26...as he was obviously many years her senior ( He'd have been 73 at the time of birth of Thomas, did she die in childbirth?)
http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/census-1881/001049-119.02-e.php?id=MAN_957626

Are you located in Mb. Have you looked at the 1870 census at the archives, or has she passed on before then?
What makes you think born early 1800's or is that a guess... Gals married early back then you know...
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline mlkabel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 16 November 11 22:46 GMT (UK) »
Yes I have checked on a few Swain's but they don't seem to fit. I have an Elizabeth Sinclair who was buried at St. Andrews in 1857, she seems to fit (I have a letter from the Anglican Church but they have no other info on her). It has been said down the line that it was possible that she may have been married before Baikie but no one knows this for sure and we can't prove it. I was hoping that more of Baikie's decendant's were looking into their family roots. I have heard from a few but they also have hit a wall. I wish I had more time and were able to travel to WPG (3.5 hours) to sit in the HBC archive's or that they would put the records online however I know this would be a job and a half. I appreciate your efforts. Lou