Author Topic: Alexander Roy, Grace Roy, Moray/Banff or further afar  (Read 5074 times)

Offline maxin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Alexander Roy, Grace Roy, Moray/Banff or further afar
« on: Tuesday 15 November 11 23:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi all, wondering if anyone can please help with this one?

Looking for the parents of Alexander Roy born in 1763 apparently in the parish of Boharm. Died Drumblade, Huntly, Aberdeenshire Dec 31 1830 Kirkyard of Drumblade (AA125), Stone 290.

I couldn't find any records from Boham/Banff, but there is a birth of an Alexander Roy in 1763 recorded up the road in Mortlach to parents William Roy and Jane Robertson - can anyone find a better match?

Also looking for more information on Alexander Roy's wife: Grace born c1760, died 1833, also buried Drumblade.

Alexander married Grace in Insch in 1800 although Grace apparently married a Robertson (first name unknown before that).

Phew, thanks!

Offline maclennan25

• RootsChat Senior
  • ancestors always seem to be just out of reach.....
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Roy, Grace Roy, Moray/Banff or further afar
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 July 12 17:36 BST (UK) »
hi there,

a few years ago i helped a friend with Roy ancestry trace their family in the Banff area near Aberdeen. the branch of the family i was looking at seems to have changed their name from McElroy to Roy around 1830s.

i don't have anything further at the moment, but if you have a connection i will try and help further.

kind regards,
Lorna

Offline LoriLee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 August 15 16:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Lorna,

In regards to "McElroy to Roy":  I believe my ancestor was Alexander ROY born 1833 in Boyndie, Banffshire. His parents were Hugh MCELROY/MEIKLEROY and Ann EWEN (married in 1832). If I'm correct, Alexander became a wood joiner and is found on the 1861 through 1901 Lanarkshire census near and within Glasgow. He married Mary REID of Eaglesham, Renfrewshire.

Did you by chance come across this Hugh McElroy? I am still trying to pin him down and would  greatly appreciate any leads.

Thanks, Lori

Offline LoriLee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 11 August 15 16:37 BST (UK) »
Lorna,

I should add that Alexander ROY is living with his mother Ann EWEN and Grandfather Alexander EWEN in Portsoy, Banffshire in 1841 and 1851 - no Hugh living there with them in either census. In 1851, Ann is recorded as married to a farm servant who presumably lived elsewhere, but since she is using her maiden name EWEN, I don't know if she and Hugh MCELROY are still married or if he is deceased.
Thanks again,
Lori