Author Topic: WILKINS - looking for descendants of  (Read 4993 times)

Offline poundly

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
WILKINS - looking for descendants of
« on: Thursday 17 November 11 13:38 GMT (UK) »
ROBERT EDWARD WILKINS (dob 1908/09 Chorlton, Lancs).  Immigrated 1930 as a student to Canada and believed to have been in the Saskartoon area.
His sister, TERESA NELLIE WILKINS (BORN 1913 Chorlton, Lancs) immigrated in 1947 after her moth TERESA CHARLOTTE WILKINS  (born 1872 in Bromsgro )and passed away.    Robert and Nellie as she was known are my Uncle and Auntie.  I am unable to trace the them or living relatives.   

please contact me if any information forthcoming via Rootschat.com :)
Poundly

Offline vbain

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: WILKINS - looking for descendants of
« Reply #1 on: Friday 18 November 11 15:23 GMT (UK) »
I havn't found any graves for Robert Wilkins,
But I have found their homestead information.
http://www.google.ca/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=1h&oq=saskatchewan&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4SUNA_enCA220CA222&q=saskatchewan+homestead+index
1. Robert Edward Wilkins #2771974 (Soldier Grant)

2. 3087062 Robert Wilkins.

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 18 November 11 17:59 GMT (UK) »
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~abwcobit/index.htm
From this link go to the Henderson Directories.  They have a free year scanned for Saskatoon 1952.  It shows a Teresa Wilkins, her place of residence and employment but no Robert.

You could contact the Saskatoon library and ask for lookups in their directories to try and define if Robert was there and if so when he left.  The same would also be true for Teresa.

Not much information online for Saskatchewan.  There is a cemetery list with some transcriptions but their names don't appear.  Saskatoon has obituaries indexed at the library from 1946 but again the Wilkins name doesn't appear with Robert or Teresa as Christian names.

Not sure if the Homestead files found by vbain would be yours.  Soldier grant doesn't seem to fit with the timeframe of your Robert's birth and the parcels of land are both located close to each other and probably belong to the same individual (just my impressions of course).

Debbie

Offline poundly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 18 November 11 18:31 GMT (UK) »
Thank you to vbain and Debbie for endeavouring to help me in my search.  So much appreciated.  Poundly

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 19 November 11 00:17 GMT (UK) »
I saw a family tree at Ancestry which indicated that Robert's brother Leslie emigrated to Canada in 1927. The passenger list indicates he, his wife and son were destined for Pierceville, Saskatchewan. I'm not sure whether that should be Pierceland or Preeceville as there isn't a Pierceville in Saskatchewan as far as I know. I wonder if Robert may have been joining his brother?

Not sure if the Homestead files found by vbain would be yours.  Soldier grant doesn't seem to fit with the timeframe of your Robert's birth and the parcels of land are both located close to each other and probably belong to the same individual (just my impressions of course).

Definitely not. According to the Saskatchewan Homestead Index website, soldier grants were only given to veterans of WWI which this Robert obviously was too young to be. As well, the Dominion Lands Act was replaced in 1930 with the Natural Resources Transfer Act so it's unlikely he would have had been able to apply for a homestead before the new Act came into effect.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline franzmane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 08 March 15 23:17 GMT (UK) »
Hello.

I'm a descendant of this tree.   The Family that came over in 1927 was Leslie Arthur who was the brother of Robert. I have never heard of Robert living in Canada. Arthur and his family lived I in Sutherland Saskatchewan and now the remaining family is in BC.
 Arthurs' sister Teresa Nellie came over in 1947 and 1951 to stay and she had a child named Frank.

Arthurs kids were/are Frank, Nellie, Vera, Robert, and Teresa (my mom). His Wife was Winifred.

They lost touch with his (Arthur's) sister Nellie and her son Frank who took her maiden name as his own. We've never been able to find him. :( after his mom died. And they did live in Ontario.

Liz

Offline jennifer c

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Latest bud on my family tree
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 08 March 15 23:25 GMT (UK) »
There were other brothers Owen Davis Wilkins and Charles Henry Wilkins .

Jennifer
Stevens /Godfrey /Rudgley /Claridge/ Gipson /George /Bliss
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline franzmane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 08 March 15 23:35 GMT (UK) »
yes, I met Owen, he came to Canada to visit us in the 80's. my mom saw Charles when she went to England in the 50's.  I am in touch with "celery" now but wasn't until just a few years ago. so I missed her when I went to England in 2006.  Are you part of this tree Jennifer? Elizabeth.

Offline franzmane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 08 March 15 23:35 GMT (UK) »
oops, she goes by poundly here I think  ;)