Author Topic: 80 Harriet Street, Pollokshaws, Scotland  (Read 3828 times)

Offline joker

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
80 Harriet Street, Pollokshaws, Scotland
« on: Friday 18 November 11 16:45 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone have an idea how I can find out who lived in the house at 80 Harriet Street, Pollokshaws Scotland on June 22, 1907?   Just found a postcard, written to my grandmother, signed "your loving cousin".....but no name.

Any ideas?  Sure would appreciate your help.  Thank you.
Joker.
CARNALL of Derbyshire & Leicester; WARD & ADAMS of Buckinghamshire; MELLOR of Leicester; DUNLOP, ROBINSON, McCOY of Northern Ireland; PRATT, CHAMBERS, VANES and CARNAHAN of Ireland...and New Zealand.

Offline shawsboy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 80 Harriet Street, Pollokshaws, Scotland
« Reply #1 on: Friday 18 November 11 17:13 GMT (UK) »
on the 1913-14 valuation roll for 80 harriet st lived the following. dont know if it helps.
alfred farquhar, malcolm sinclair, jane waterson, john frew.

Offline joker

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 18 November 11 19:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply. Don't recognize those names.  Thought perhaps DUNLOP, ROBINSON,  or Harris, Taylor, Taggart.   I will check these out though.  These others dont sound familiar yet.

Joker.
CARNALL of Derbyshire & Leicester; WARD & ADAMS of Buckinghamshire; MELLOR of Leicester; DUNLOP, ROBINSON, McCOY of Northern Ireland; PRATT, CHAMBERS, VANES and CARNAHAN of Ireland...and New Zealand.

Offline Murphyz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 20 November 11 07:58 GMT (UK) »
Don't know if it will be of any use but the Post Office directory for Glasgow for 1906-1907 also has a Peter Hanlon, 80 Harrier Street, Carrier, stables at Auldhouse.

I was on page 1537 and used the link Monica gave under another message for the directories,

Added: I don't think I have posted the link correctly, so here's my second attempt:

http://www.archive.org/stream/postofficeannual190607gla#page/1534/mode/2up

Regards
Murphyz

Offline briarchal64

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 19 April 18 10:32 BST (UK) »
My grandmother lived at that address before emigrating to NZ. Her father was a carrier called Peter married to Rachel.  She was Helen Dick Hanlin born in 1901, there were lots of sisters and brothers, Margaret, Cissie, Jean, but my great uncles names escape me just now!

Offline joker

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 20 April 18 22:48 BST (UK) »
Hi briarchal64....I'll be getting back to you...have to check out further history. Your answer intrigues me because my mother had several relatives who emigrated to NZ.   Thanks for your input!
Joker.

Offline briarchal64

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 21 April 18 09:55 BST (UK) »
Too strange I've just returned today from family get together - quite out of the blue never met most of them - reason why I was searching other night address of Grandmother via her birth cert on Scotland's people and then googled the address you had posted. My grandmother was born there as per her birth cert in 1901 but not sure if family were still there in 1907. There is a family 'secret'
of one unmarried daughter who had love affair with man who went to Canada and the resultant daughter was brought up as a sister in NZ when they emigrated in 1911... if not your story ... a good one of mine!

Offline joker

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 23 April 18 16:41 BST (UK) »
briarlchal64.... well, interesting story.  Not connected to my family though, unless peripherally.  I just know my grandmother's cousin, was unnamed. She just signed the postcard from " your cousin"... with no name.    Hmmm.   Thanks.   Keep in touch.  Sounds like our families must be somehow connected though.