Author Topic: Werner family in Alsace France  (Read 7037 times)

Offline colcal

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Werner family in Alsace France
« on: Friday 18 November 11 18:28 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to trace my Werner Family from Alsace. I have a lot of names, handed down to me in a family tree, but cannot match any of them and the dates on Ancestry.co. as the French records are very poor.
I am looking for Emilie Werner 1895 who married a Victer Bayer. Their children were Camille, Henri, and Maria Renee. There is also a Charles Galotte and Charles Bouveax who were in-laws.
If any of these names are familiar, I would love to hear from you.
regards colcal

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Werner family in Alsace France
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 19 November 11 16:02 GMT (UK) »
Do you have a more specific place for this family then just "Alsace"?
If Emilie was b. 1895 then you should be able to find her birth, and depending on where it is it may be online in the Departmental archives.

"Alsace" covers two departments: Bas-Rhin (has records online up to 1902) and Haut-Rhin (has records online up to 1892).  If you know the exact place you can look at the original images (there are no digitised indexes by name so you can't search as you would with something like freebmd).

If you don't have a more exact place, do you have information on the emigrant ancestor (whoever was first to leave Alsace), as there may be some records in the country they emigrated to which tell you their birthplace.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline colcal

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 November 11 12:25 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much for your reply.
I have had another look at my family tree, which is written in French and the ink has badly faded, so it is very difficult to read.  Its starts with Paul Henri Emile Werner born 19.06.1834, Strasbourg and gives an address which is 336 Route de Colmar. I have also found a photo of him sitting outside his house in 1909. His daughter Emile Sophia Werner born 30.04. 1866 "Grand Dame, a Lady" what ever that means, married a Victor Bayer born 28.01.1850. Apparently he had a factory in Vincennes, it looks like, in Paris that was destroyed in 1905. I have looked at Ancestry.com again and cannot find any of them.
I am going to try yet another search with just the surname, in case the forenames are in correct.
regards colcal

Offline colcal

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 20 November 11 12:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi again! I have just found a magnifying glass and had another look at the birth places. Paul Henri Emile was born in Brasseur Schilighiem and his daughter Emilie Sophia was born in Eckbolshiem and died in Vincennes Paris 1909.
The first Werner who came to England was my Great Grandfather Paul Edouard born 1869 who married a Margret Philips. I have found them online, but unfortunately none of the others.
regards colcal

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 20 November 11 20:35 GMT (UK) »
For your place names:
Schiltigheim is a place near Strasbourg known as "Cité des Brasseurs"
Eckbolshiem is also in Bas-Rhin
Vincennes is on the east of Paris and technically in Val-de-Marne department. (so those are the archives where records will be held)

Ancestry is not much good for France.
familysearch.org shows the 1882 marriage of Emilie and Victor and quite a few other records for the family including the birth of her brother Paul Edouard in 1869 in Strasbourg.

You need the Bas Rhin archives to see the original images.
http://archives.cg67.fr/
then "Registres paroissiaux et d'état civil"
The 1882 marriage is recorded in German.

Emilie's birth is shown in Eckbolshiem in 1862. She is registered under her mother's surname, Griebel, and with no father's name but with a marginal note showing that she was recognized as the legitimate child of Paul Henri Werner when her parents married 24 Jun 1865 in Strasbourg.

The marriage is also there - shows Paul Henri Emile as b. 19 June 1834 Strasbourg, legitimate son of Pierre Werner (deceased Strasbourg 14 Jan 1861), and of Catherine (Rig?), residing in Strasbourg.
and his wife Frederique Griebol, b. 21 Mar 1845 Strasbourg, legitimate daughter of the late Jean Jacques Griebol d. Strasbourg 8th October 1860, and of Frederique Schwing, residing in Strasbourg. It also gives Emilie's details.

As you can see, records in this area give a lot of details. There are some indexed on familysearch but not all, and it's always worth looking at the originals. e.g. there is a birth record on familysearch for Paul Henri Emile but the original also gives his father's age and occupation, witness names etc. Similarly there is a marriage for Pierre Werner and Catherine Rig listed in 1829 but the original shows their birthdates, birthplaces, parents' names,  death dates/places for parents, details of Pierre's previous wife and where/when she died, etc.

It is worth the time to get used to the French sites. There is a useful word list here:
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/search/rg/guide/WLFrench.asp
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline colcal

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 November 11 13:15 GMT (UK) »
Dear jorose
Thank you so much for sending me all that information, I cannot believe how much you found in such a short time.
I will start looking on the website's you mentioned and hopefully find some more family.
Thank you again, regards colcal

Offline colcal

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 28 April 18 11:53 BST (UK) »
I have found my Werner family and the chataux they lived in, which was 336, avenue DE Colmar. I googled the address and found it sandwiched in between two modern blocks covered with protest banners against the Mayor, Roland Ries.
I was wondering if anyone knows if it has been demolished because i would loved to have visited my fathers families home
Regards volcal

Offline joger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 28 April 18 18:28 BST (UK) »
http://archives.bas-rhin.fr/proxy/downloadimage.ashx?image=/ad67_ec/ad67_ec_rev_0091/ad64_ec_482/ad67_ec_48214630/ad67_ec_482146300067.jp2

I hope the link will work (I made a test , it worked but I had to do the trial twice).

Paul Henri Emile WERNER born on the 19th of June 1834 in Strasbourg, 115 rue des petites boucheries, in the house of his parents Pierre Werner 50 years's old ," directeur des messageries "and his wife Catherine RIG, two witnesses Paul Werner 22 , caporal in the 19th Régiment d'Infanterie Légère and Blaise Kirchiller

I found no Paul Henri Werner in Schiltigheim in 1834 (could have been a namesake)

Offline joger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 29 April 18 09:43 BST (UK) »
http://archives.bas-rhin.fr/detail-document/ETAT-CIVIL-C478-P1-R293869#visio/page:ETAT-CIVIL-C478-P1-R293869-3533323

24 july 1829 Strasbourg
Marriage Pierre Werner (born 22 september 1785 in Nancy (departement de la Meurthe) ,stage-coach driver,  widower of Catherine Frédéric ,son of the late Jean Werner "maréchal expert"? expert blacksmith? who died in Nancy 18 germinal an 10 and the late Marie THIBAUT who died 11 may 1806 in Nancy
and Catherine Rig born 8 Brumaire an 9 in SARREBOURG (Meurthe) daughter of the late Jean RIG professional soldier, and Marie Barbe FOURNIE (R) who died  30 november 1813 in SARREBOURG