Author Topic: Werner family in Alsace France  (Read 7039 times)

Offline joger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Werner family in Alsace France
« Reply #18 on: Monday 30 April 18 17:32 BST (UK) »
The story of the house 336 rue de Colmar

http://www.archi-wiki.org/Adresse:336_Avenue_de_Colmar_(Strasbourg)

name of the architect, original plans ,photos

I was there in December 2016 and 2017, I could have taken photos for you, may be too late.

Offline colcal

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 01 May 18 19:46 BST (UK) »
Dear Joger,
Thank you once again for all your help and the kind offer of photos of 336 avenue de Colmar but alas, as you say I'm sure its to late.  My late father's brother has a photo of,  i think, Paul Edouard Werner sitting outside smoking his pipe and some very elegant ladies standing on the balcony.  The house looked so beautiful then, completely different to the way it looks now although its a hundred times nicer then the modern flats they want to build in its place.
My Great grandfather moved from Strasbourg to Paris and then brought my grandmother to London, there she married and had my father. In the 1970's my grandmother did get some inheritance from the family chataux, not sure if it was the one at 336 Colmar. Apparentely the Nazi army looted a lot of silverware and art work from the chateaux so my grandmothers share was a fraction of what she should have had. Also for some technical reason the Werner property and money went to the Bayer line, but she did get a silver cutlery set with the family crest on, not quite the same.
I am trying to persued my brother to drive to Colmar this year,  it looks so beautiful.
Thank you once again and kind regards colcal

Offline joger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 02 May 18 07:26 BST (UK) »
http://www.archi-wiki.org/Adresse:336_Avenue_de_Colmar_(Strasbourg)#Construction1

The link again .
Click on it and tell me if it works (I don't understand what hapenned, it worked when i wrte the message but I tried it again and it didn't any longer)

Offline joger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 02 May 18 12:16 BST (UK) »
http://archives.bas-rhin.fr/detail-document/ETAT-CIVIL-C478-P1-R293895#visio/page:ETAT-CIVIL-C478-P1-R293895-3537112
marriage Griebel /Schwing in Strasbourg 29 april 1833
Jean Jacques Griebel born 2 germinal an 8 (23 march 1800) in Strasbourg, son of jean george griebel, shoemaker and Marguerite Madeleine Simon, and Frederique Schwing born in Strasbourg 27 nov 1812 daughter of the late Philippe Jacques Schwing , baker and Catherine Diemer who died 15 may 1819 in Strasbourg.

Offline joger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 02 May 18 12:28 BST (UK) »
http://archives.bas-rhin.fr/detail-document/ETAT-CIVIL-C478-P1-R294619#visio/page:ETAT-CIVIL-C478-P1-R294619-3525495
death of Catherine Elisabeth SCHWING  (30 years, 10 months , 14 days 's old) née DIEMER 15 may 1819 in Strasbourg , widow of Philippe Jacques Schwing,in the house 16 rue du Marroquin, daughter of the late Jean Valentin Diemer , "tamissier "( sieve -maker , -seller, -user in a plant?) and Catherine Elisabeth FELS

Offline joger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 02 May 18 12:34 BST (UK) »
http://archives.bas-rhin.fr/detail-document/ETAT-CIVIL-C478-P1-R293169#visio/page:ETAT-CIVIL-C478-P1-R293169-3430023

birth Frédérique GRIEBEL 21/02/01845 Strasbourg to jean jacques Griebel and Frederique SCHWING  nb 8 Contades (difficult to say exactly where it is ) .

Sorry : born 21 March 1845

Offline joger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 07 May 18 08:18 BST (UK) »
Have you been able to go and see the house with the last link I gave you, and to understand what's written ? Tell me if I must translate.

Offline colcal

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 07 May 18 18:22 BST (UK) »
Dear Joger,
Thank you very much for the link you sent. My brother and myself are going to try and go to Alsace in  late summer.
I was able to understand the link but what confuses me is it appears the Werner's only rented the upstairs of the property so it cannot be the chataux that my Grandmother recieved a small inheritance from.
I have a postcard written by her saying she lived near Strasbourg Cathedral and that an ancestor had his name somewhere in the Cathedral. Apparentely she had a great Aunt who was a Marchioness in Alsace so perhaps it is her.
I have one surviving Uncle that might be able to help, i will have to get in touch with him.
Kind regards colcal

Offline joger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 07 May 18 19:43 BST (UK) »
You got it right: the owner lived on the ground floor and Emil Werner  rented the upper floor. He did not own the house.
I was about to tell you that this house cannot be called a chateau (= castle) , it is only a big house built in 1903.
But it is really interesting to have the plans of the house.
A great aunt of your grandmother can be found, it is not so old. What's the name of your grandmother, if I may ask?
Concerning the name in the cathedral, be aware that a name written anywhere does not mean that it is one of your ancestors, and the cathedral of Strasbourg is big , if you don't know where the name is written you may not find it.
it 's a really good idea to go and see the places where ancestors lived. And Alsace is a wonderful region of France.