Author Topic: 6393369 Sergeant J. Roberts, The Royal Sussex Regiment  (Read 3404 times)

Offline rac1473

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 6393369 Sergeant J. Roberts, The Royal Sussex Regiment
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 19 November 11 11:26 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Sylvia,

The pictures that i got from the county records office show 1 medal ribbon on his mess dress but i do not know what it is, could you tell me what medal roll this is from, as i will look to get a replica of the medal in question.

Imber,

If i could find out where he was at his time of death it would make this easier, the Thanet registry entry might be worth a shot as it is the closest fitting date wise, i think i will order the certificate from the GRO, have done it before for other relatives and have come up trumps, so i will get onto that one and hope it leads somewhere,  will have to check again with my cousin to see what he has come up with.

thank you both

Offline maidmarianoops

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • somewhere over the rainbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 19 November 11 11:34 GMT (UK) »
John C Roberts
Birth  abt 1900
Date of Reg Jan-Feb-Mar 1942
Age at Death: 42
Reg district Thanet
Inferred County Kent
Volume 2a
Page 2574

sylvia
notts/derbys clark
      "        "      stenson
        "       "    nicholson
       "     "        jarvis
                         castledine
    rhodes

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline maidmarianoops

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • somewhere over the rainbow
    • View Profile
notts/derbys clark
      "        "      stenson
        "       "    nicholson
       "     "        jarvis
                         castledine
    rhodes

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rac1473

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 19 November 11 19:34 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Sylvia for the google link,

a lot to trawl through there, but the good news is i managed to use the part of the medal roll and now going via the National archives and ancestry, i have the complete page and have found out he earned the Indian General Service Medal 1908 with clasp Northwest frontier 1930-31.

So thank you for that, it was a tremendous help.

Roy

Offline rac1473

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 02 December 11 18:50 GMT (UK) »
Just an update and to say thanks for the help,

The death cert for the Thanet entry turned out to be the right one, i have a copy of the certificate and found that he died at St Lawrence College in Ramsgate while serving with 133 Brigade, I'm currently trying to find out whether the unit was an HQ or an officer training depot

many thanks again

Roy

Offline exringsend

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 11 September 18 00:28 BST (UK) »
Hello, I am coming to this discussion very late - the reason being I have just found the wedding registration between my 1st cousin once removed, Alexandra McNeice and John Roberts (2nd Jan.1940). However, I see from previous posts that poor Alexandra seems to have suffered the same fate as that of her mother (widowed as a result world war)!
Thankfully, again like her mother, a child has been born before the father died! Needless to say I would be very interested in finding the outcome of this child (my 2nd cousin), and hopefully subsequent generations.

Offline exringsend

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 11 September 18 00:45 BST (UK) »
The entry on Ancestry was updated earlier this month.  It gives a little more detail of his death, the names and address of his wife and daughter, who returned to Northern Ireland etc.  If he was John Charles as seems to be suggested then Free BMD has a strong candidate in the March quarter of 1942 in Thanet district.  I think it's possible some battalions of the Royal Sussex Regiment were on coastal defence duties at that time.
IMBER, can you recall where you saw the info about John Roberts wife and daughter?

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 11 September 18 09:19 BST (UK) »
That was a long time ago and I cannot remember exactly where I saw the details on Ancestry. However, he seems to be included in four trees. Of these the most detailed is the Dancey tree. If I had to guess I would say that tree has been amended subsequently to hide living persons. Part of the text has been altered and there are two female 'Private' boxes. There is a contact listed so perhaps you could approach them if you feel you want to take matters further. You will also have seen the post from rac1473. They have an interest in the family and mentioned a wife and daughter. Worth finding out whether they are still on Rootschat.

Imber
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)