Author Topic: Young family Shirland  (Read 11118 times)

Offline Dalesman

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Young family Shirland
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 18 September 12 15:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve
Ernest Haslam Housley was married to Annice Rowarth from C.X. my Grandafther’s sister, They lived at Bolsover. A cousin in California sent me the following email yesterday. Info. from Mormon Library.

Bill: I wrote this entire letter only to have all but the last 3 lines disappear! So here goes again.

I had trouble with Housley, also spelled Howsley, because I never realized how common it was as a name. Ancestors and Find my past are painful with omissions. There is no marriage in 1907 for Annice and Ernest. In fact Annice or Alice Mary doesn't exist. I chose the most logical Housley among many and here is what I came up with, right or wrong.

[census, 1851] George Housley, agr. laborer, b. 1820 in Stanton, Dby married Grace [maybe here is Haslam] [1822] and had several kids...George Haslam c. 21 Sept 1845 znd John Henry 1849, and Elizabeth 1850. ...
George Haslam, age 5 was born in Ashove, Dby and died in Texteth, Lancashire in 1919. George H was an engine driver. He married Ann [Slater?] in 1866 and they had 6 kids [1881 census]. These were Alice 13, and Geo A, 11 born in Nott [ham/shire?] and Arthur 9, Herbert C, 7, Walter, 5, and finally Ernest H, age 3. The last 4 were born in Long Eaton, Dby. They lived in Shardlow, Dby, no street.
[census 1891] they live in Hasland, Dby on derby Rd. where Ernest is an errand boy, age 13. By [census 1901]they live on Eyre St., Chesterfield [also 1911] where Geo H. is a picture framer maker, employer, and Ernest Haslam is 23 and a commission agent of picture frames, worker. He lives at home with his sister Alice, 33, single, who is a/an painting [1901] art [1911] teacher, then 43. So Ernest disappears. We know where. The Mormons don't. If found it would tell us if he was doing drapery or whatever it was by then.

3 lines gratis........

They lived in Chesterfield [as in census, 1911]. He is a picture frame maker and employer. 2 kids are left. Alice age 33, single, teaches painting, and Ernest age 23 is a commission agent of picture frames and worker [I suppose for his father]. They lived at 12 Eyre St.

Is any of it of any use to you Steve?
Regards
Bill

Offline stevehaslam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 20 September 12 13:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Bill
this will help your cousin in california.
George Howsley B. 1818 in Stanton, Derbyshire D. 11 Dec 1893 Derbyshire his wife Grace Haslam B. 1822 in Ashover D. 4 Dec 1889. They had the following children.
John Henry B.1849 in Ashover his wife was Rose Rosendale
Daniel (Edwin) Housley B. 1851 in Ashover
Frank B. 1858
Sarah Jane B.1860
Mary B. 1853
Herbert B.1856
George Haslam Housley B.22 Aug 1845 in Milltown, Ashover D. 8 Dec 1919 in 126 Smithdown Road, Toxteth Park, Liverpool. his wife was Ann Slater B. 1845 in Nottinghamshire D. March 1938 Bakewell Derbyshire. they had the following children (see next post)

Offline stevehaslam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 20 September 12 14:04 BST (UK) »
children of George B.145 and Anne B.1845
Walter Fredrick Howsley B.1875 in Long Eaton, Derbyshire
Herbet Charles Howsley B. 1874 in Long....
Arthur Haslam Howsley B. 1872 in Long.....
George Albert Haslam Howsley B. 1869 in Nottinghamshire
Alice Haslam Howsley B. June 1868 in Notttinghamshire
and Ernest Haslam Howsley B. 30 jan 1878 in Long Eaton, Derbyshire. D. 10 Aug 1964 at 14 Eden Court, Mason Avenue, Leamington, Warkwickshire. He married on the 10 Oct 1931 to Maude Sussannah Eden or Maud Sussannah Erswell - 6 Clapham Street.  all this info i have found on someone elses tree on Ancetry.co.uk there is alot more names and info that will help your cousin. i may have also missed some more brothers and sister out. he is best checking. hope this helps him.

all the best Steve

Offline stevehaslam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 21 September 12 06:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Billy please forward ono your cousin - gravestone of george and grace haslam housley

Offline Nickthegreek123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 25 June 15 16:31 BST (UK) »
Hi my name is Nicholas Haslam I'm from normanton in West Yorkshire my grandad is called Harry Haslam and his dad was also called Harry, James Haslam was his father so James is my great great grandad.

Offline Dalesman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 26 June 15 19:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Nicholas
Thanks for contacting me I do appreciate it. Was the James Haslam who you mention the MP for Chesterfield 1832-1913? I have a Henry b.1877 one of his sons, is this the one you call Harry, your Gt. Grandfather?
When you mention Normanton  am I correct in thinking your family were involved in the mining industry there?
 My family, Gt.gt.grandfather and his sons were engine winders at the Clay Cross Company No2 pit, eventually my grandfather moving first to Bolsover then to Bullcroft Colliery here in Doncaster.
I’m busy trying organise the names and dates of family members of the Haslams.
Regards
Bill Roworth.

Offline Nickthegreek123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 26 June 15 19:39 BST (UK) »
Hi bill, yeah it's the same James Haslam MP for Chesterfield and my great grandfather was definitely called Harry not Henry, he was born in 1881 and lived till he was 100, he didn't work down the mines he was a fireman and also the lamplighter for normanton, his son also Harry was a boilerman at the pit.
Kind regards
 Nick Haslam

Offline Haynes87

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 23 January 16 16:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

If it's any use to anyone, I've just moved into a house last month in Higham, of which I have a huge folder full of documents.

Included in these documents, is signed mortgage documents, searches, conveyance documents, wills and even a death certificate. 

It appears that in 1870 James Haslam signed a mortgage document for the build of our house for £510 (wow!), this is written in quill and sealed with his own wax seal!

I believe he then passed away and left the house to Tom Ward his Son-in-law to daughter, 'queenie' ?
And Thomas Watson but then when Mr Watson passed away, he left his part to Tom Ward who then mortgaged it for £1900

I can send some copies of the documents, signatures and names if it's of interest to anyone  :)

Offline BenShaw

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 28 August 21 14:41 BST (UK) »
Hi my name is Nicholas Haslam I'm from normanton in West Yorkshire my grandad is called Harry Haslam and his dad was also called Harry, James Haslam was his father so James is my great great grandad.

my Great grandad is harry and james haslam is my great great great great grandad :)